Advantages to Natural Sugars?

PTP

I have begun to suspect that natural sugars affect me in a much more positive way than processed white sugar. Coffee and white sugar seem to give me mouth ulcers, whereas honey seems to have an anti-bacterial effect that clears them away. I have always craved milk and suspect lactose offers part of the benefit, but have never desired adding sugar to my milk - though occasionally I will have some with honey before bed.

I also suspect the sugar from fruits and orange juice effects me in a much better way than white sugar. But I don't really understand why that would be the case - is it just the added vitamins and minerals from those sources that are making me feel better? Is it a psychological thing? It's a shame because I love ice cream and chocolate, and I know they have their own benefits - I could also technically make them with honey.

The whole thing is just confusing me - I'm thinking maybe I'm better off with a high fruit, honey, and milk version of paleo? (technically it would still be closer to a peatarian diet than a paleo one, I wouldn't start adding fish oils or go high fat, and would probably still enjoy some coffee).

answersfound

It's not supposed to be confusing. Your making it more difficult than it has to be. There is no answer we could provide you that is better than the intuitive answer your body will give you. Don't think so much. Just eat like you were a 7 year old boy. Don't restrict yourself. Don't worry about ratios and other stuff. Just eat the low pufa foods and avoid the bad gums. You love ice cream? Then ******* eat it all day if you want until you stop loving it.

Milk fruit version of paleo? What does that even mean? Stop labeling your diet and creating parameters and limitations. You don't have to learn why it works to make it work. Just eat intuitively.

OP
P

PTP

Maybe, but I'm just wondering if there would be a valid scientific reason why isolated sucrose would affect me differently then the stuff in honey and juice, when it's essentially the same thing.

D

Derek

PTP said:
post 108375 Maybe, but I'm just wondering if there would be a valid scientific reason why isolated sucrose would affect me differently then the stuff in honey and juice, when it's essentially the same thing.

It's refined!

Last edited by a moderator:

squanch

PTP said:
post 108375 I'm just wondering if there would be a valid scientific reason why isolated sucrose would affect me differently then the stuff in honey and juice, when it's essentially the same thing.

There are a lot of compounds in unrefined sugar sources that have different beneficial effects and aren't well researched or even discovered yet.

A few studies done on honey:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15117561
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/11/ ... l.pdf+html

OP
P

PTP

Derek said:
post 108395
PTP said:
post 108375 Maybe, but I'm just wondering if there would be a valid scientific reason why isolated sucrose would affect me differently then the stuff in honey and juice, when it's essentially the same thing.

It's refined!

Yes it's refined and separated from other nutrients. Instinctively it makes sense, but that is not really an explanation, it's still the same thing - why would it cause such different reactions?

Skally said:
post 108399
PTP said:
post 108375 I'm just wondering if there would be a valid scientific reason why isolated sucrose would affect me differently then the stuff in honey and juice, when it's essentially the same thing.

There are a lot of compounds in unrefined sugar sources that have different beneficial effects and aren't well researched or even discovered yet.

A few studies done on honey:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15117561
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/11/ ... l.pdf+html

Makes sense, I have found nothing quite as anti-bacterial as a dark raw honey - in a way I hope they don't do too many more studies on honey and push the prices of all of them up to manuka honey levels - it's already expensive.

artist

They are not the same thing, if sugar is accompanied by other minerals vitamins or other compounds it will affect you differently, it can help control blood sugar or supply nutrition that is needed to keep up with the energy boost from the sugar

tara

PTP said:

They are not the same thing. Some people do better with some forms than others.

Honey has more free fructose and glucose than the disaccharide refined sucrose. Some people find it easier to digest for this reason. Not sure if that is about producing enough sucrase.
Many honeys have more fructose than glucose; sucrose breaks down to equal parts glucose and fructose. This can affect the system differently.
OJ and otehr juices have lots more minerals - eg potassium and magnesium - than either sucrose or honey. These minerals are essential for efficient oxidation of sugar. If you are not getting plenty pf these from other sources, then it could make a big difference to what use a body can make of OJ compared with sucrose or honey.
Unripe oranges have soem problematic substances (maybe excessive citric acid?) - this could affect the system.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals