Sleep apnea solutions?

Vinnie06

Magnesium Glycine completely stopped my husband's snoring. This is the explanation I found:

Macey, P.M., Sarma, M.K., Nagarajan, R., Aysola, R., Siegel, J.M., Harper, R.M. and Thomas, M.A., 2016. Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with low GABA and high glutamate in the insular cortex. Journal of sleep research, 25(4), pp.390-394.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jsr.12392

I suspect milk could be strongly involved in snoring and in sleep apnea by raising glutamate levels. If I drink milk in the morning, my nose mucosa gets completely swollen by night. This is only one of the reasons why I can't tolerate milk (I even tried buffala milk from a closeby producer who owns a single, pampered buffala).

Unnecessary rudeness
So the magnesium Glycine reduces glutamate levels in the body?

saraleah

Have you tried a humidifier?

“Humidifiers are devices that add moisture to the air. Dry air can irritate the body and the respiratory system. Using a humidifier can open your airways, decrease congestion, and encourage clearer breathing.

For added benefits, consider adding lavender, peppermint, or eucalyptus oil to a humidifier. These three essential oils have known anti-inflammatory and soothing benefits.

Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning your humidifier. They can harbor molds and bacteria.”

Thank you, good tip never thought of using it in warmer weather but its been excessively dry this season

Ulysses

Ulysses

Wouldn’t the glue on the tape be problematic?
For what, hormones? I've never noticed any ill effect from it. Your lips should also be closed when you tape them, so I doubt much would get into your mouth. And anyways, I think the benefits of restful sleep would far outweigh the exposure to trace amounts of tape adhesive

For what, hormones? I've never noticed any ill effect from it. Your lips should also be closed when you tape them, so I doubt much would get into your mouth. And anyways, I think the benefits of restful sleep would far outweigh the exposure to trace amounts of tape adhesive

Your skin is a big absorber for anything topical you put on it. Deoderant, sunscreen, oils and even nail polish chemicals go into your blood stream through the nails.

Z

Zsazsa

Mouth taping is unfeasible for people who get swollen mucosa inside the nose

Ulysses

Your skin is a big absorber for anything topical you put on it. Deoderant, sunscreen, oils and even nail polish chemicals go into your blood stream through the nails.
That's true, it is up to the individual I suppose to weigh the risks and benefits of any given practice. I personally wouldn't stop taping my mouth until I were forced to, because it makes a huge difference in my energy levels throughout the day
Mouth taping is unfeasible for people who get swollen mucosa inside the nose
Yes, in that case taping your mouth immediately before bed is probably not a great idea, but taping your mouth or mindfully breathing through your nose during the day can help bring nasal swelling down by the time you go to bed. At least according to the Buteyko breathing practice, which got me some pretty good results when I tried it

That's true, it is up to the individual I suppose to weigh the risks and benefits of any given practice. I personally wouldn't stop taping my mouth until I were forced to, because it makes a huge difference in my energy levels throughout the day

Yes, in that case taping your mouth immediately before bed is probably not a great idea, but taping your mouth or mindfully breathing through your nose during the day can help bring nasal swelling down by the time you go to bed. At least according to the Buteyko breathing practice, which got me some pretty good results when I tried it

I am with you on that. Nose breathing all the time is better than out the mouth. Mouth breathing is detrimental to oral health.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Well that is scary. Obesity is the number one cause of sleep apnea, but I didn’t suggest it because I though it was for you and I knew that wasn’t the case. What about a chin strap? I bought my husband one, and it really kept him from waking up in the night gasping for air.
Actually, it is self-amplifying. Someone with sleep apnea will have raised level of stress hormones and low energy during the day, which tends to increase body weight and that worsens the sleep apnea. I try to sleep on my side, but if I sleep on my back, I have episodes of sleep apnea. I have seen special ‘cushions’ that provide space for shoulder and arm so you get locked into a side position but have not experimented with it. CPAP didn’t work for me, it blew air into my stomach just when I fell asleep and my muscles relaxed. I didn’t try BIPAP. I keep a close look on my weight.

Actually, it is self-amplifying. Someone with sleep apnea will have raised level of stress hormones and low energy during the day, which tends to increase body weight and that worsens the sleep apnea. I try to sleep on my side, but if I sleep on my back, I have episodes of sleep apnea. I have seen special ‘cushions’ that provide space for shoulder and arm so you get locked into a side position but have not experimented with it. CPAP didn’t work for me, it blew air into my stomach just when I fell asleep and my muscles relaxed. I didn’t try BIPAP. I keep a close look on my weight.

My husband has never been even close to being overweight and the chin strap worked for him, so maybe with your weight in check it could benefit you too.

Giraffe

My central sleep apnea was cured by lowering cortisol and taking progesterone.
I have to find a cure for my obstructive sleep apnea now.

Some of the sleeping positions suggested in that article linked here might be helpful.

Wouldn’t the glue on the tape be problematic?

Rinse & rePeat:
“You warn plenty about hormone disrupters in shampoos, soaps and other everyday common items, but what about wearing medical tape on the mouth every night. Wouldn’t the glue on the tape be unhealthy, especially being on the lips?”

RAY PEAT:
“ I think it is.”

Neeters 27

you can purchase a chin strap thing at any cpap store or on amazon. better than tape for sure. I had terrible sleep apnea before I was optimized on Thyroid meds (NDT) as well as Progesterone and estradiol. as we age, especially women, our whole body including the throat get Lax. too much Progesterone adds to this problem. estradiol/estrogen as well as dhea or pregnenolone help firm up tissues and this eliminates that saggy throat. I also used to grind my teeth badly and wore them down and chipped some. this also completely gone now that I am on hormone and thyroid replacement.

Beastmode

Sleep apnea isn't an issue, if it's mild, and you're getting quality sleep consistently.

More useful to look at what goes into creating a quality night's sleep over sorting out sleep apnea.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals