Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Low Ferritin & Copper Levels

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by Milan555, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Milan555

Milan555 New Member

For the past year, I've been trying my best to pinpoint the cause of my fatigue, lethargy, brain fog, and low libido. I have a few suspicions and I wanted to get some input.

Last year I was on and off supplementing anywhere from 35-55mg Zinc Picolinate per day without any copper alongside it. At some time late last year, I noticed I was much more fatigued than usual and I couldn't figure out why. Not a whole lot changed last year except taking zinc in high dosages. And I noticed fatigue hit later that year all of a sudden.

My doctor and myself have tested a wide range of things including ferritin, iron, thyroid, copper, vitamin D, B12, sleep apnea.

My current ferritin is at 50 in a range of about 20-300. Ferritin was actually down at 19 (right below normal range) before I started supplementing with iron 28mg/day. I dont know how to explain such a low ferritin.
    Copper serum is 80 in a range of 72 - 144.
    I am about to test Ceruloplasmin today, so I'll have the result in a couple days.
    TSH - 1.25 (range of 0.5 - 4ish)
    Free T3 - midrange
    Free T4 - slight above midrange
    Testosterone - midrange
    Sleep apnea - no apnea present

I'm experiencing a lot of lethargy, fatigue, brain fog, poor libido, and lack of motivation to move. No matter how much sleep I get, its the same. I wake up feeling like I need more sleep, my eyes feel tired, and I become entirely useless by evening due to the lack of energy.

It intuitively feels like there is a lack of dopamine in me. I feel almost like a depressed person would without ACTUALLY being sad/depressed if that make sense. I feel like a zombie, for the most part. I still have interest in lot of things, but I'm behind severely inhibited by this fatigue.

Any tips about your own experience would help me out a lot. I've spent hundreds of dollars already in testing trying to pinpoint my issue. I hope it is as simple as a nutrient or mineral deficiency. Thank you!

2. dbh25

dbh25 Member

What was your Zinc level?

3. Lynne

Lynne Member

I wouldn't take iron, copper supps without listening to Thomas E Levy MD JD (eg ). According to him, nobody should take copper or calcium supps and, unless you're diagnosed with iron deficient anemia, nobody should ever take iron. He says a ferritin level of 15-20 is ideal, up to 25 ok and over 30 is too much. So by that measure your previous level of 19 was good. He's not the only person talking about the dangers of excess iron. I wish I'd known this then I was prescribed a ferritin supp years ago (mine was 19 too) as taking it caused me some greater peoblems with mineral balance and a consequent domino effect with other health problems. I doubt very much that your symptoms are caused by low Iron, They sound like the symptoms I had that I took iron to correct and, while my ferretin level went up a bit, it had no effect on the symptoms.