Newbie With Questions

Katelove

Hi everyone!
My name is Katie and I have been here reading and playing for a few weeks.
My temps are super-low. I am averaging about 96.5 in the morning.
Some mornings I do go higher. My lowest in the past few weeks was 95.6.
I have been adding orange juice, milk, cheese, gelatin, aspirin, Vit E, thyroid, a B complex, glysine...I am 44, am starting to consider myself "perimenopausal"...after adding progesterone a couple weeks ago, I had not had my menstruation for a couple months and the progesterone seemed to have brought it on...it was good, however, I, without exaggeration, was in some of the most intense physical pain I had ever experienced. I had cramping so intense for a couple of hours one morning that I was shaking, sweating and pale white. It passed and then it led to major bleeding and blood clots passing for a few days.
That is behind me now for a couple days...Now I am noticing swelling in my body, like my arms and legs.
I carry a lot of fat in my abdomen. I definitely believe I have cortisol issues too.
I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP.
The sleep doctor, like 8 years ago, said that my sleep apnea was causing very high cortisol release...due to the suffocation...I noticed I gained puffiness in my face and a big belly back at that time, that never fully resolved.
I do massage therapy and can get quite tired at times.
So, anyway, just wanted to check in. I just ordered Cypro for the cortisol...I do remember years ago getting my hormones tested and had low estrogen though. I had low progesterone and low estrogen...but that was many years ago. I am not sure what it is today.
Any tweaks or insights come to mind for me? Or any positive support, etc?
Thank you all.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

I am bumping this. I wrote it early this morning...can anyone contribute any support or advice?

artlange

My temps are super-low. I am averaging about 96.5 in the morning.
Some mornings I do go higher. My lowest in the past few weeks was 95.6.
I have been adding orange juice, milk, cheese, gelatin, aspirin, Vit E, thyroid, a B complex, glysine.

how long have you been taking thyroid supplement and what thyroid supplement are you using?
Have you stopped using any soap, laundry detergents, hand/skin lotions and shampoo with xeno-estrogens before you started the progesterone?

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Thank you for your reply. I just started on the thyroid 2 weeks ago. I am taking the Natural Sources Raw Thyroid. Also, I haven't used those kind of products for the most part for many years...but I do currently have a laundry detergent that is funky. There is some added herbs in my progesterone cream, like Black Cohosh, dong quai, american ginseng, chaste tree, maitake, passion flower, fenugreek, and some B vitamins.

tara

I am 44, am starting to consider myself "perimenopausal"...after adding progesterone a couple weeks ago, I had not had my menstruation for a couple months and the progesterone seemed to have brought it on...it was good, however, I, without exaggeration, was in some of the most intense physical pain I had ever experienced. I had cramping so intense for a couple of hours one morning that I was shaking, sweating and pale white. It passed and then it led to major bleeding and blood clots passing for a few days.
So sorry you had that misery. I used to have that sort of dysmenorrhea in my twenties, and had no idea how to help myself then. It passed eventually, so I don't know exactly what made the difference.

Not sure if any of these would make a difference for you, but here are some possible ideas I'd be considering if it were me:
  • I wonder whether more salt before and during menstruation could help? I think progesterone may increase the loss of sodium.
  • Also wonder whether gut inflammation could be a contributing issue.
    I can' say with any confidence whether it would help, but it's one of the things I would try now if it were me is cascara sagrada. Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse..
    I use this now when I get occasional slight slow down - if I had menstrual discomfort I'd be using it before and during period to help reduce inflammation in the area.
  • Getting enough magnesium? Magnesium deficiency can contribute to cramps.
  • I don't know enough about all the other ingredients in the progesterone creme and their effects. I wonder how much actual progesterone you are getting from it. Is it bioidentical progesterone?
I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP.
If you are safe to try it - have someone around who will notice if you are in trouble - have you tried just a chin strap without the CPAP? For some people it's the chronic hyperventilation/loss of [edit:]CO2 of sleeping with the mouth open that causes a lot of the nighttime sleeping difficulties.

.I do remember years ago getting my hormones tested and had low estrogen though.
Tissue-bound estrogen in aging

Supplements are relevant in the context of the food and lifestyle they are added to, and the state and history that got you there.
Do you want to say something about what and how much you are typically eating?
Getting some regular sunlight on your skin?
Some daily movement (with mouth shut to retain CO2)?

I'm no expert, but I'm inclined to think thyroid supps are generally best added in small increments and with monitoring - at least of body temps.

Last edited:

Amber

For period issues, magnesium and salt. Maybe low dose (20mg) zincpicolinate. These all lower prolactin/estrogen/cortisol. If you get blood clots during your period and bad cramping it means you are magnesium deficient. Calcium intake from milk is making the deficiency worse. Calcium is overrated anyways, especially on this forum.
The Miracle of Magnesium 8/7/04

If you have low temps and are hypothyroid i would stop using dairy even when Peat suggests it. The calcium is making the imbalances worse. Hypothyroid people are usually low in magnesium. Females are usually low in magnesium (estrogen increases calcium and wastes magnesium) stressed people are low in magnesium. ;)

I'd recommend you increase magnesium (citrate, glycinate are both good i prefer citrate) to around 800mg daily (4x200mg with meals would be optimal. Take it away from other supplements, especially calcium)

Low fat diet increases metabolism aswell, so i would definitely give that a try.

For salt, 2 tsp is said to be optimal but if you crave more, go ahead. Optimal Sodium Intake Is At Least 230% Higher Than RDA

I'd also drop starch, could increase endotoxin/raises insulin a lot/might cause imbalanced bloodsugar)

You could also try caffeine, starting with a low dose and building it up slowly. It helps to heal the liver as mentioned by someone else. Caffeine Reverses Stress, Insulin Resistance, Hypertension

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Wow, thank you both for your responses! So much intelligence on this forum...
So, as for what I eat...well, lately I am doing the orange juice and cottage cheese thing...but I feel very puffy! I am eating more cheese too...like 1/2 gallon juice a day...and a few cups of cottage cheese, some mozzarella, maybe 5 oz, some gummy bears, some fruit, like 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup berries...a couple of eggs, sometimes potatoes...a bit of white rice, like 1/2 cup...tonight I had a hamburger, homemade. I do 2 - 5 massages a day, almost 7 days a week. (my career). I walk the dog for 15 minutes or 30 minutes but only a couple times a week, maybe 3 times...I do need more sunlight!!!! And more movement for sure...but I feel so tired!
I am curious about the calcium thing...that I am now eating too much...I love magnesium! I really feel 100% better when I use it or take epsom baths. This feels really right for me.
So, I am not really sure what to eat or drink...I used to read Dr. Kristal, metabolic typing. I am a parasympathetic type, protein type, Blood type O, so no wheat, lots of protein and fat. But low fat does resonate.
I am going to read through those links. thank you soooooo much!!!! Much love.