Oleamide For Sleep Apnea

Dan W

Functional Role for Cannabinoids in Respiratory Stability During Sleep
(full text)
Serotonin, acting in the peripheral nervous system, can exacerbate sleep-related apnea, and systemically administered serotonin antagonists reduce sleep-disordered respiration in rats and bulldogs. Because cannabinoid receptor agonists are known to inhibit the excitatory effects of serotonin on nodose ganglion cells, we examined the effects of endogenous (oleamide) and exogenous (∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol; ∆9THC) cannabimimetic agents on sleep-related apnea.
Our data show that ∆9THC and oleamide each stabilized respiration during all sleep stages. With ∆9THC, apnea index decreased by 42% (F=2.63; p=0.04) and 58% (F=2.68; p=0.04) in NREM and REM sleep, respectively. Oleamide produced equivalent apnea suppression. This observation suggests an important role for
endocannabinoids in maintaining autonomic stability during sleep. Oleamide and ∆9THC blocked serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea (p<0.05 for each), suggesting that inhibitory coupling between cannabinoids and serotonin receptors in the peripheral nervous system may act on apnea expression.

OP
Dan W

Dan W

I've mainly been using it for anxiety and insomnia, I don't have a convenient way to monitor the respiratory effects. I do notice waking up more tired after using it, but I suspect that's its "downer" effects, I tend to be sensitive to those kinds of things.

keith

Any idea what an effective dose might be for sleep apnea?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

Any idea what an effective dose might be for sleep apnea?
I don't know myself. The study used a range of mg-per-kg values, but it was in rats and injected, so it's hard to conclude much.

keith

I don't know myself. The study used a range of mg-per-kg values, but it was in rats and injected, so it's hard to conclude much.

Thanks...how much do you take when you use it?

OP
Dan W

Dan W

I take from 1/2 to a full spoon that comes with the LiftMode container, I think it's about 20-50mg.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals