Shopping For Fish?

freal

All the low fat fish are somewhat considered lower quality, second class. They are not commonly sold fresh and the frozen fish seem to me to be of dangerously low quality, especially that coming from third world. Plastic pieces frozen into fish, weird ammonia smell is common.

I mean the low fat fish like pollock, cod, hake,..

mt_dreams

Re: Shopping for seafood?

It must be the area you live in, as I live inland, and still have the option to buy most low fat fish fresh. If it's possible, look around your area for a fish market. I've never been to a large city that doesn't have one.

That being said, more expensive options are king crab, tilapia, oysters, clams are usually packaged better due to price. there is also sole, orange roughy, mahi mahi, and low fat tuna. I would definitely try and avoid anything coming out of China, I just don't trust their practices.

If you're worried about impurities, and don't have fresh options, look to buying canned options (tuna, clams, octopus, etc) that are packed in water.

OP
F

freal

What about farmed fish, do they have the same amount of trace minerals or less than wild. They are feed fish meal from the waste like fish bones, they probably do have less of them.

OP
F

freal

So sole is also good, I thought it was higher in fat, it certainly isnt as lean as cod.

Does anybody know about any other suitable common Mediterenean fish. I think sea bream and sea bass have the same ammount of fat as sole??

camexonda

freal said:
All the low fat fish are somewhat considered lower quality, second class. They are not commonly sold fresh and the frozen fish seem to me to be of dangerously low quality, especially that coming from third world. Plastic pieces frozen into fish, weird ammonia smell is common.

So what do you think?
Isn't it dangerous?
I mean it doesn't sounds like it is safe.. Right?

OP
F

freal

camexonda said:
freal said:

So what do you think?
Isn't it dangerous?
I mean it doesn't sounds like it is safe.. Right?

That ammonia smell probably means the meat in the fish was left for too much time on a too warm of a temperature. They are probably filled with biogenic amines.

Pollock is caught in the North Pacific, I dont understand why cant the Alaskan companies there do the filleting and freezing. But no, they freeze the fish, send it to China where it is thawed and processed and then the fillets are shipped to Germany where they are again thawed and packaged and send throught Europe. Globalization.

I dont know about those pacific fish like mahi mahi or whatever, but fish like wild sole is very expensive and hard to get and not that low in fat either. If its cheap and available its farmed.

Shrimp from Indo-China is also full of bacteria and chemicals but that doesn't stop Peaters from eating it.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
Shrimp from Indo-China is also full of bacteria and chemicals but that doesn't stop Peaters from eating it.

But what's the net effect? There are studies looking into whether some high cadmium oysters in some regions could be a problem. But those oysters seemed to also have more zinc, so more nutrients needed to do the heavy metal removal. I also remember a study comparing serum cadmium after eating oysters vs. smoking, it concluded that the oyster threat was negligible in comparison.

But I'm ready to believe that beef liver is a safer source of copper and zinc.

OP
F

freal

Whats the point of eating shrimp from Indo-China? Its farmed so it wont have much trace minerals, not much more than chicken or beef.

Farms use the sea, it's just fenced off. And the issue is the chemicals, not the metals. I'm not sure shrimp even lives long enough to accumulate heavy metals, and lacks the mechanism and life conditions that oyster has.

HDD

Hmm I was under the impression that the farmed shrimp did not have the nutrients that wild shrimp have. It would certainly save me some $ since I pay $16 a lb. for wild.

Well, the decision is yours. Take note these are first world farms in the video.

[BBvideo 560,340:jmovw9q5]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS_Iufw477I[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 560,340:jmovw9q5]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9kz6oz9Kk[/BBvideo]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals