Eating fish, the frozen fillets?

BaconBits

What do you think of eating some, but not too much fish, the frozen fillets of alaskan pollock and cod or some salmon??
Its low in fat, bellow 1 gram per 100' gram and not too high in heavy metals?

4peatssake

BaconBits said:
What do you think of eating some, but not too much fish, the frozen fillets of alaskan pollock and cod or some salmon??
Salmon is high in PUFA and not Peat approved.

Ray Peat said:
About ten years ago I met a young man with a degenerative brain disease, and was interested in the fact that he (working on a fishing boat) had been eating almost a pound of salmon per day for several years. There is now enough information regarding the neurotoxic effects of fish oil to justify avoidance of the fatty fish.
White fish, like cod and sole, are OK although cod is higher in phosphorus so it is important to balance it with sufficient calcium.

Ray Peat said:
Mercury content is high in the big (old) fish, but not in the small shellfish or small fish such as cod and sole.

OP
B

BaconBits

Ohh, sorry only the cod and pollock is bellow 1 gram/100grams. I think the supermarket frozen wild salmon (fillet) is stripped of most fat, its like only 2grams per 100grams, but we better avoid it.

So a little bit of mercury is kind of OK. Here is a chart of mercury in fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

4peatssake

BaconBits said:
Ohh, sorry only the cod and pollock is bellow 1 gram/100grams. I think the supermarket frozen wild salmon (fillet) is stripped of most fat, its like only 2grams per 100grams, but we better avoid it.

So a little bit of mercury is kind of OK. Here is a chart of mercury in fish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish
Yeah, I'd definitely avoid salmon. I'm not big on white fish personally and much prefer shellfish. I grew up on the Atlantic and love lobster tails in butter and garlic and fried scallops in butter. Pretty high in saturated fat with all the butter and not cheap so I limit those feasts to special indulgences. ;)

OP
B

BaconBits

I kind of thought fish would be more nutritious, but I was dissapointed seeing a nutrient analysis. Except for tuna or deep fried they are not even that good.

dukez07

BaconBits said:
I kind of thought fish would be more nutritious, but I was dissapointed seeing a nutrient analysis. Except for tuna or deep fried they are not even that good.

But they offer a great alternative for people who don't want to eat cheese all day, or drink milk. Even too much meat can become tiresome.

Would anyone see anything wrong with eating sea food as a staple? I mean, based on that wikipedia page on mercury content, posted earlier in the thread, it would suggest that shrimp is safe. You might even get away with eating something like haddock, twice a day to meet your protein requirements?

4peatssake

dukez07 said:
BaconBits said:

But they offer a great alternative for people who don't want to eat cheese all day, or drink milk. Even too much meat can become tiresome.

Would anyone see anything wrong with eating sea food as a staple? I mean, based on that wikipedia page on mercury content, posted earlier in the thread, it would suggest that shrimp is safe. You might even get away with eating something like haddock, twice a day to meet your protein requirements?
I don't think I'd eat it as a staple but occasionally is fine according to RP.

Ray Peat said:
Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles. Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish) is very high in fat, too.

About ten years ago I met a young man with a degenerative brain disease, and was interested in the fact that he (working on a fishing boat) had been eating almost a pound of salmon per day for several years. There is now enough information regarding the neurotoxic effects of fish oil to justify avoidance of the fatty fish.

Some of the current advertising is promoting fish oil to prevent cancer, so it's important to remember that there are many studies showing that it increases cancer.
Source

dukez07

4peatssake said:
dukez07 said:
BaconBits said:

I don't think I'd eat it as a staple but occasionally is fine according to RP.

Ray Peat said:
Eating low-fat seafood (sole, whitefish, turbot, scallops, oysters, lobster, shrimp, squid, etc.) once in a while can provide useful trace minerals, without much risk. However, fish from some parts of the ocean contain industrial contaminants in the fat, and large fish such as tuna, swordfish, Chilean sea bass and halibut contain toxic amounts of mercury in the muscles. Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish) is very high in fat, too.

Some of the current advertising is promoting fish oil to prevent cancer, so it's important to remember that there are many studies showing that it increases cancer.
Source

Well, I guess it depends on how selective you are when choosing to eat fish. No-one is rushing out and buying a tuna or a salmon. We all know that they are toxic with mercury and PUFA. Shrimp has barely next to no mercury content. Why wouldn't it be a potential staple? It's not like industrially farmed meat doesn't also have toxins, yet a lot here eat it.

4peatssake

dukez07 said:
Well, I guess it depends on how selective you are when choosing to eat fish. No-one is rushing out and buying a tuna or a salmon. We all know that they are toxic with mercury and PUFA. Shrimp has barely next to no mercury content. Why wouldn't it be a potential staple? It's not like industrially farmed meat doesn't also have toxins, yet a lot here eat it.
I just don't consider it to be optimal or a good choice for a staple and have not know RP to advocate it as such either. I'd prefer to use gelatin if I needed to source additional protein. Milk, eggs, gelatin are my preferred sources but hey, try it and see how you do.

RP doesn't recommend muscle meat as a staple either. ;)

pboy

yea the white fish is kinda like muscle meat. It has a lot of nutrient density, and pretty easy to digest, but the phosphorus ratio to calcium is so high that youd need a lot to balance it out. If anything, eat only like 1-2oz at a time, as in like...how meat is in fried rice...just little pieces. To eat a whole typical fish fillet would make it hard to balance the rest of the day in terms of calcium to phosphorus. Once in a while its ok to have a calcium negative meal (of that magnitude), just not regularly. If the food has slightly higher phosphorus but also a good amount magnesium, its still pretty balanced. With white fish tho that isn't the case

BingDing

I agree with duke that it's a nice change from the regular stuff. From what I know wild caught Pacific Cod is low in contaminants (as long as I don't think about Fukushima) and the fishery is managed sustainably. The Cod fishery in the NW Atlantic collapsed decades ago, of course, and has shown no signs of recovering.

4peatssake

BingDing said:
(as long as I don't think about Fukushima)
comment_EjThwKki8Jegpj6ffmrhTUvyqMqkkN1N.gif

dukez07

4peatssake said:
dukez07 said:
I just don't consider it to be optimal or a good choice for a staple and have not know RP to advocate it as such either. I'd prefer to use gelatin if I needed to source additional protein. Milk, eggs, gelatin are my preferred sources but hey, try it and see how you do.

RP doesn't recommend muscle meat as a staple either. ;)

Fair enough. Well, certain fishes seem more interesting than meats for amino acid profiles. Only 0.4g of trytophan in 200g of haddock, according to cronometer. I guess it's just tragic that our fish are poisoned. Humans only have themselves to blame.

I tried some fish earlier. Haddock. Sprinkled with grated cheese (about 15g).Went down well with OJ. It's low in iron. I'm probably not going to carry on with it. The mercury issue isn't something I would want to risk. Not knowing how much is going to be toxic would just have me paranoid.

Zachs

If you can get a good deal, eating shrimp, lobster, crab and mollusks could prove to be a very beneficial staple in your diet. They have good amounts of minerals, low in fat and high in protein. White fish, not so much but they are easier to digest than land animal meat so i guess you could try it.

tara

I eat a fillet of cod, fresh or frozen, about once a week. Occasionally swap it for other non-oily fish. I figure it gives a bit of selenium, and less iron than the ruminants I eat more often. I supplement with oyster shell for calcium, and drink a bit of milk too.

Capt Nirvana

Eat fish low in EPA-DHA — a "dry" fish like cod — just don't eat the liver!

Frankdee20

I love my fish, Cod and Flounder are almost always wild caught.... good choline sources, and good iodine and selenium sources.... I eat my smoked salmon and my Tuna as well, and don’t care what Peat says.... I have high cholesterol so it cannot hurt me to be honest, as I avoid the pills (doctor first choice was fish oil).... Fish is delicious

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I wonder what Peat would say, if he were able, about having 2-4 oz wild alaskan cod each night.
I want to replace my nightly 2 oz of salmon with some other kind of fish.
I am trying to avoid having red meat for supper, and I don't want to use an excess of dairy at supper to get my protein.
So I need something besides red meat and dairy at supper for protein.