T

TheBeard

Aside from PUFA, the other big one is excess body iron stores. Iron intake is higher than it has been since 1909 (when they started measuring), plus, less is lost to activity (due to a more sedentary lifestyle), lack of intestinal worms, and bloodletting going out of style in the late 19th century. Pretty much every study that tests this hypothesis shows that iron reduction improves glucose tolerance and uptake into the cell.

I must be missing something: are you saying intestinal worms are a good thing to have?

tankasnowgod

I must be missing something: are you saying intestinal worms are a good thing to have?

No. Worms could spread infection, disease, and cause anemia and even death. However, they were one of the conditions that made iron overload virtually impossible. Now, it is much more likely. So, while eradicating intestinal worms is generally very beneficial, they likely did have some hidden benefits.

For example, take a look at bloodletting in the 19th century and before, and modern blood donation (aka phlebotomy). They both achieve a reduction in iron stores, by the removal of blood. Historical bloodletting, however, came with a host of negative and even potentially deadly side effects- serious risk of anemia, spreading of blood borne diseases, infection, acute hypoglycemia, coma, and so on. Modern blood donation virtually eliminates these risks, with a mini physical, sterile equipment, pre-donation hemoglobin check, controlled limits on amount of blood removed and frequency. They didn't have any of these things in the 19th century. I will take modern blood donation and iron panels over primitive bloodletting any day of the week. Same goes for intestinal worms.

Dr. B

This study is presented as groundbreaking and unexpected but in fact big pharma has been quietly working on anti-serotonin therapy for obesity/diabetes for more than a decade. I think the importance of this study is the admission that serotonin causes obesity/diabetes in humans, as one of the authors says. Apparently, as the scientist says, the role of serotonin in these pathologies is well-known. Funny, the unsuspecting public never got the memo...But quietly and without much fanfare, pharma companies have started several trials with TPH inhibitors for treating obesity and diabetes, and many others are underway abroad where big pharma does not have to comply with so many regulations.
Serotonin as a New Therapeutic Target for Diabetes Mellitus and Obesity

Anyways, I suppose the good news is that even hardcore dogmatics in mainstream medicine can change their mind and improve people's health as a result. Now, the study below talks about reducing gut serotonin as therapeutic and for most scientists this means some sort of inhibition of serotonin synthesis. However, since the main trigger of gut serotonin synthesis is endotoxin, perhaps something as simple as the 5-HT3 antagonist approach mentioned in this thread could work.
Serotonin/endotoxin/PUFA As Primary Causes Of Depression And Diabetes; Can Be Easily Blocked

Unlike 5-HT3 antagonists, of which there are plenty and all are well tested, TPH inhibitors are much harder to come by and even older ones like Fenclonine do not really have much experimental safety track record. Furthermore, I have received reports from several people that even a BCAA/tyrosine combination seems to improve their digestion and help them lose weight, so there is hope that this can still be achieved with dietary serotonin restriction without the use of pharma drugs.

Augmented capacity for peripheral serotonin release in human obesity
Obesity trigger identified within the human gut
"...In a new development in gastrointestinal research, researchers from Flinders University, SAHMRI and the University of Adelaide have found more evidence that elevated concentrations of serotonin, the crucial neurotransmitter that chemically transmits messages to nerve cells in the body, is also linked to obesity. Only recently have researchers understood that this "gut serotonin" is actually bad for our metabolism, as it increases blood glucose and fat mass, thus endangering us of developing diabetes and obesity. The new research demonstrates for the first time in humans that this gut serotonin is doubled in obese individuals. This new insight now paves the way to try and find potential new treatments for obesity by focusing on the cells in our gut that produce this hormone. The South Australian researchers were part of a large international research team including University of Adelaide experts that found human obesity is characterised by an increased capacity to produce and release serotonin in the gut."

"...We know from a raft of recent high profile publications that gut-derived serotonin causes diabetes and obesity, but we didn't know if this was relevant to such disorders in humans. Our findings are the first work implicating serotonin as a driver of worsening obesity in humans," says Professor Keating. "Having established this, we can now focus on understanding why this happens, so we can develop methods to reduce circulating serotonin levels. These sorts of therapeutic outcomes are exactly why Pfizer decided to partner with us in this research area over the past four years." University of Adelaide Senior Research Fellow, Associate Professor Richard Young, says these findings also indicate that obese humans secrete excess serotonin from the upper gut at rest, as well as during a meal. "This has revealed new ways that we may be able to control the release of serotonin from within the gut, and in turn, further improve the outlook for people living with obesity", says senior co-author on the paper Associate Professor Young."
mate I got diabetic/weight gain type effects from using vitamin D3 long term. 10k IU over 3 years. daily. the effects from stopping D3 entirely, and continuing a whole grass fed milk diet are insane. its only been a week or so since stopping.

I think the effects from abusing D3 are even worse than serotonin anti depressant drugs possibly. due to the way D3 affects vitamin A or other vitamins.
doesnt D3 raise that TPH enzyme?

also do you think there is truth to activated vs inactive D3. apparently when you megadose it, its stored in the body. now thaty ive stopped using it, could there be insane effects as the body processes and maybe 'activates' that D3. by the looks of things it seems there could be major incoming changes. I have no joint pain, much more energy, more appetite, no hair shedding in the shower, have to sleep in my boxers instead of with clothes.

I have had severe negative effects from supplementing things like potassium iodide, pregnenolone, T3 and keto dhea. im wondering if maybe the excess D3 somehow worsened the side effects from those things. I dont think id be willing to experiment with those or isolated vitamins/minerals again.

Im also able to digest any food much easier and quicker. Im actually hungry waking up in mornings whereas before I was literally always full all day.