Progesterone May Treat Diabetes, Obesity, And Metabolic Syndrome

haidut

Interesting new study, which adds more to the already existing mountain of evidence for the benefit of progesterone in a variety of conditions of metabolic origin. While the study does not mention any specific doses, it is known that the receptor (PGRMC2) whose activation the study found to be beneficial for diabetes/obesity, is activated by progesterone in physiological concentrations. This means that even "low" doses of progesterone in the 15mg-30mg daily range should be enough to activate that specific cell-membrane progesterone receptor and replicate the findings of the study. I am not even sure why the study did not use progesterone as the obvious choice of endogenous activator but instead went with an obscure (but patented and expensive) synthetic molecule. Wait, I think I know the reason...

PGRMC2 is an intracellular haem chaperone critical for adipocyte function

This protein that appears to play an important role in obesity, metabolic disease

"...Scientists at Scripps Research have come up with an unexpected finding of a protein that is highly expressed in fat tissue. The study has opened the door to critical new understandings about obesity, metabolism and potentially other diseases. The results of the study were published in the Journal Nature. The signaling protein, known as progesterone receptor membrane component 2 (PGRMC2), had not been extensively studied in the past. Short for “progesterone receptor membrane component 2,” it had been detected in the uterus, liver and several areas of the body."

"...And that is how they made their next big discovery: Without PGRMC2 present in their fat tissues, mice that were fed a high-fat diet became intolerant to glucose and insensitive to insulin, hallmark symptoms of diabetes and other metabolic diseases. By contrast, obese-diabetic mice that were treated with a drug to activate the PGRMC2 function showed a substantial improvement of symptoms associated with diabetes."

"...“Even though their brain was sending the right signals to turn on the heat, the mice were unable to defend their body temperature,” Galmozzi says. “Without heme, you get mitochondrial dysfunction and the cell has no means to burn energy to generate heat.”

GorillaHead

I keep hearing all these benefits about progesterone but I worry about it increasing estrogen. I am Gyno prone. I’d love to have the benefits especially the ones I hear about hair.

tankasnowgod

I keep hearing all these benefits about progesterone but I worry about it increasing estrogen. I am Gyno prone. I’d love to have the benefits especially the ones I hear about hair.

Why are you worried about that? Progesterone opposes estrogen.

haidut

Can keto p4 work or does it have to be true p4?

The study is about a PR activation, and 6-keto does not seem to have much effect on that receptor.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut Progesterone May Bind And Deactivate Endotoxin (LPS) Directly Scientific Studies 14
haidut Progesterone May Be Able To Reverse Drug-induced Abortion Scientific Studies 9
S Progesterone: starting dose for resolving insomnia Ask For Help or Advice 5
E Can Pregnenolone replace Progesterone temporarily during Pregnancy? Female Issues 1
V Pregnenolone, Progesterone, DHEA supplementation advice Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
ddjd progesterone causing headaches + poor sleep. pregnenolone completely relieves symptoms Ask For Help or Advice 11
theantagonist Muscle gain log: androsterone + progesterone + pregnenelone + DHEA Exercise 20
poilochio is "visanette" With the active ingredient "2mg dienogest" a synthetic progesterone? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Yon Your experience with progesterone, T3/T4 and pregnenolone Health 14
Mauritio 5aOHP -Progesterone and DHT mix ? Has anybody heard about this steroid? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 7
haidut Progesterone and allpregnanolone are protective against COVID-19 Scientific Studies 15
Insomnia Progesterone first time experiment, what is going on?!? Experiments 6
A Farmacautical Progesterone Ask For Help or Advice 2
GuiCHE DIY Topical Progesterone? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
GuiCHE New To "Peating" - Need Advice On Progesterone Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 16
Julian Random Pains After Taking Progesterone Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
GorillaHead Low Dose Progesterone And Side Effects? Thyroid and Hormones 18
B Progesterone To Stop Male Facial Hair Growth? Hormones 27
R J MCT In Progesterone Health Natura 17
noqcks Progesterone Causing Hair Loss? Ask For Help or Advice 7
R J Canadian Group Buy For Kenogen Progesterone Progesterone 4
noqcks Progesterone Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 2
Highserotonin90 Progesterone Cream On Scrotum Progesterone 44
Atman Progesterone Use During Pregnancy And The Effects On Child Intelligence Polls 9
haidut Progesterone - Not A Sex Hormone, But A Systemic Health Hormone Scientific Studies 57
S Does Vitamin C Increase Progesterone? Vitamins 12
U Anti-Peat Progesterone-positive Cancer? Debate - Anti-Peat 1
ecstatichamster Ray Peat Interview #35: CO2, Ketosis, And Mitochondria | PUFA, Sugar, Iron, And AGEs | Progesterone And Cell Stabil Danny Roddy 21
Opioidus A List Of Things That Lower Or Antagonize Progesterone Selectively? Male Issues 1
Z Low Progesterone Coming Off Birth Control Female Issues 0
F Can You Build Tolerance With Daily Usage Of 5-10mg Of Progesterone Cream? Progesterone 13
J Forefront Health - Molecular Progesterone Complex Female Issues 1
D Progesterone, No Appetite, Nausea, Hypoglycemia Progesterone 2
Mito Progesterone In The Brain: Hormone, Neurosteroid And Neuroprotectant Progesterone 0
C Vit E Or Progesterone Reducing Face Bloating Ask For Help or Advice 6
C Elevated Progesterone? Ask For Help or Advice 11
Cecilia L. High Pregnenolone, High Progesterone, High Estradiol, Low D Female Issues 13
H Is It Safe To Give A 4 Year Old Girl Progesterone? Email Advice 15
C Progesterone + DHEA Dosages In Young Person Ask For Help or Advice 7
B Women: How Did Progesterone Affect Your Shape/appearance? Progesterone 3
lvysaur Anti-Peat Progesterone Impairs B Cells, Antibodies Debate - Anti-Peat 6
wealthofwisdom Is Now Topical Progesterone Good? Ask For Help or Advice 31
Recoen Progesterone For Premature Delivery Supplements 0
K Progesterone Supplementation Timing In Female Cycle Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
A.R Progesterone Not Helpful For Brain Injury? Scientific Studies 13
Trudy Ann Estrone E1, Testosterone And Progesterone Progesterone 2
L Neandertal Progesterone Receptor: Less Miscarriages, Better Fertility Thyroid and Hormones 2
ddjd Has Anyone Ordered Progesterone Powder From China Ask For Help or Advice 9
C Obese, Low Estradiol And High Progesterone? Blood Work, Labs 7
johnwester130 What Is An Example Of A High Progesterone Man ? Sexuality 41