How Taurine May Treat Diabetes

haidut

Forum Supporter
It has long been known that taurine helps peope with pre-diabetes and diabetes type II. It is also accepted that taurine lowers cholesterol levels as well. The mechanism so far was not clear and some scientists speculated that taurine acts like insulin mimetic. However, this study shows that the likely beneficial mechanism of taurine is simply increasing bile acid production. The study actually looked at the effects of bariatric surgery on weight loss, and found that increasing bile acid production is the likely mechanism for the beneficial effects of the surgery on glucose disposal and insulin sensitivity. Taurine is one of the most potent stimulators of bile acid production and can achieve that effect in doses as low as 250mg.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/01/study-unravels-link-between-surgery-diabetes-remission
"...The study, which was done with mice, reveals that bariatric surgeries increase bile acid concentrations, and in concert with a bile acid receptor called TGR5, play critical roles in balancing glucose levels in the body, which help treat diabetes. Signaling from TGR5 was found to regulate several metabolic outcomes, including: glucose homeostasis, inflammation and liver insulin signaling."

This study matches very well with the thread I posted explaining how pregnenolone and progesterone raise metabolism. They activate the same bile acid "receptor".
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ogesterone-raise-metabolism.7969/#post-102071

As you can see from the second thread, activating the bile acid "receptor" activates the deiodinase enzyme and increases conversion of T4 into T3. So, it may be a good idea to supplement some taurine, pregnenolone, or progesterone with your NDT or Cynoplus thyroid supplement to help increase T4 into T3 conversion.

M

marikay

Best to take in morning or evening? With or without other protein? Thanks:)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Best to take in morning or evening? With or without other protein? Thanks:)

I think either time is fine but in higher doses it sedates people, so if you taking more than 1g it's probably best to take in the evening. Also, taking with protein, it increases protein utilization, which is always a good thing. Empty stomach is also fine but since it will increase bile acid output you may get some stomach discomfort if there is no food there.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...otein-utilization-from-food.8302/#post-107308

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Another win for Taurine! :shame:

milk_lover

I think combining taurine with selenium is similar to eating seafood. Selenium, I think, also helps convert T4 to T3.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think combining taurine with selenium is similar to eating seafood. Selenium, I think, also helps convert T4 to T3.

True, and so does zinc.

Makrosky

I think either time is fine but in higher doses it sedates people, so if you taking more than 1g it's probably best to take in the evening. Also, taking with protein, it increases protein utilization, which is always a good thing. Empty stomach is also fine but since it will increase bile acid output you may get some stomach discomfort if there is no food there.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...otein-utilization-from-food.8302/#post-107308
Haidut, if you take the taurine with a large protein meal,won't the other aminos displace the taurine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, if you take the taurine with a large protein meal,won't the other aminos displace the taurine?

As far as I know only beta alanine can display taurine, but it only happens in doses of 60g+, which nobody should be ingesting anyways.

Drareg

It has long been known that taurine helps peope with pre-diabetes and diabetes type II. It is also accepted that taurine lowers cholesterol levels as well. The mechanism so far was not clear and some scientists speculated that taurine acts like insulin mimetic. However, this study shows that the likely beneficial mechanism of taurine is simply increasing bile acid production. The study actually looked at the effects of bariatric surgery on weight loss, and found that increasing bile acid production is the likely mechanism for the beneficial effects of the surgery on glucose disposal and insulin sensitivity. Taurine is one of the most potent stimulators of bile acid production and can achieve that effect in doses as low as 250mg.

Study unravels link between surgery, diabetes remission | Cornell Chronicle
"...The study, which was done with mice, reveals that bariatric surgeries increase bile acid concentrations, and in concert with a bile acid receptor called TGR5, play critical roles in balancing glucose levels in the body, which help treat diabetes. Signaling from TGR5 was found to regulate several metabolic outcomes, including: glucose homeostasis, inflammation and liver insulin signaling."

This study matches very well with the thread I posted explaining how pregnenolone and progesterone raise metabolism. They activate the same bile acid "receptor".
How Pregnenolone And Progesterone Raise Metabolism

As you can see from the second thread, activating the bile acid "receptor" activates the deiodinase enzyme and increases conversion of T4 into T3. So, it may be a good idea to supplement some taurine, pregnenolone, or progesterone with your NDT or Cynoplus thyroid supplement to help increase T4 into T3 conversion.

This deiodinase enzyme is type 2 if it's converting t4 to t 3 ?
Hav you come across anything for DIO3 ?
We have a study in another thread showing elevated levels of DIO3 in the hair follicles and skin causing issues,it's interesting that some have reported positive effects on hair with taurine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Drareg

Thanks.
If you do come across anything slightly inhibiting DIO3 it could be very beneficial,I'm not sure inhibiting fully is a good idea with unavoidable stressors but slightly would be interesting to try.
If it's expressed in the hair follicles it could be a key factor in baldness and greys.

I'm guessing Peat is looking at flavones and how they are interacting with deiodinase enzymes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks.
If you do come across anything slightly inhibiting DIO3 it could be very beneficial,I'm not sure inhibiting fully is a good idea with unavoidable stressors but slightly would be interesting to try.
If it's expressed in the hair follicles it could be a key factor in baldness and greys.

I'm guessing Peat is looking at flavones and how they are interacting with deiodinase enzymes.

I will look into it. Lithium (and thus possibly sodium and magnesium) seems to inhibit DIO3.
Effects of the Environment, Chemicals and Drugs on Thyroid Function - Endotext - NCBI Bookshelf
"...In rat brain, lithium administration decreased both the levels of the Type II 5’Deiodinase and the Type III 5 Deiodinase.117a In the rat, lithium may also lead to an alteration in the distribution of thyroid hormone receptors with the alpha 1 isoform being increased in the cortex and decreased in the hypothalamus while the beta isoform was also decreaseed in the hypothalamus. 117b."

Drareg

Great find,lithium inhibits type 2 and type 3,we need type 2 but it would be interesting to apply taurine topically to the scalp up regulating type 2 then lithium a few hours later to inhibit type 3 and hoping type 2 won't get brought down too much.

I found this which shows type 3 elevating at a time when T3 should be high, perhaps it keeps T3 on a leash but what regulates it,stress as usual I'm guessing.

Skin deiodinase profiles and associated patterns of hair follicle activity in cashmere goats of contrasting genotypes

"The roles of skin deiodinase enzymes in the expression of genotypic differences in hair follicle activity and cashmere fibre growth and moult were studied in 9 Siberian (S) and 10 Scottish cashmere (SC) goats. The proportion of animals exhibiting cashmere growth was significantly greater in S than in SC goats in both late July (P < 0.001; early in the season of growth) and between January and April (P < 0.001; late in the season of growth), but there was no significant difference in the time of moult onset. Patterns of hair follicle activity exhibited similar seasonal differences, with secondary follicle activity being higher in S than in SC animals during the January-June period. Overall mean concentrations of IGF-I were lower (P < 0.01) in S than in SC animals and mean T4 concentrations were higher (P < 0.05) in S than in SC animals, but these differences were not related to genotypic differences in follicle activity or cashmere fibre growth. Mean concentrations of insulin, prolactin, and T3 did not differ with genotype. Between January and early April, mean prolactin concentrations were higher in S than in SC animals (P < 0.05). Monodeiodinase type II (MDII) activity in skin samples was highest (P < 0.001) during December and January (short day photoperiod) and was lower in S than in SC animals (P < 0.05) at these times. Mean monodeiodinase type III (MDIII) activity was highest during June and July (long day photoperiod). There was no difference between-genotypes in the overall mean levels of deiodinase activity but, during January-March, when prolactin concentrations were higher in S than in SC goats, there was a higher rate of follicle activity and fibre growth in S goats. It is postulated that individual and genotype differences in hair follicle activity and cashmere growth are partially dependent on the pattern of expression of deiodinase enzymes in the skin. However, the actions of each enzyme are likely to depend on, among other factors, the absolute levels of expression of each type, the ratio of MDIII to MDII, the physiological state of the follicle, and the associated hormone profiles".