The Financial Crisis In 2008 Increased Obesity, Diabetes And Mental Illness

haidut

Forum Supporter
So much for these issues being "predominantly genetically driven" as mainstream medicine likes to proclaim. It would have been nicer if the authors of the study also tested thyroid function as that would have directly implicated declining metabolism in these health issues strongly linked to cancer, CVD and neurodegenerative diseases. But even this link is strong enough to cast strong doubt yet again on the genetic argument. Perhaps even more importantly, these negative health effects occurred despite significant reductions in smoking and drinking. So, yet another mantra of the medical professions seems to be untrue - i.e. that unhealthy habits like smoking, drinking, and moving too little are to blame for the obesity/diabetes cases that are not genetic.
The study also goes on to propose that the chronic stress/anxiety due to the uncertainty triggered by the recession is what caused these unhealthy changes, and not the lack of employment. This finding erodes yet another central dogma of economic policy - that reducing unemployment is key to improving health outcomes across a nation.

The impact of the Great Recession on health-related risk factors, behaviour and outcomes in England - ScienceDirect
2008 Great Recession led to increase in obesity, diabetes and mental health issues, says study
"...The 2008 Great Recession resulted in changes to individuals’ health behaviour, with a significant increase in the likelihood of obesity, diabetes and mental health problems, according to a new study from City, University of London and King’s College London. In particular, the researchers discovered that the probability of being obese and severely obese increased by 4.1 and 2.4 percentage points respectively. Similarly, the probability of having diabetes was 1.5 percentage points higher after 2008, with the prevalence of mental health problems increasing by 4 percentage points. It was also found that there was a decrease in smoking and drinking, as well as fruit intake. These changes were also seen to impact particularly on women and those less educated, with the authors suggesting that uncertainty and negative expectations generated by the recession rather than unemployment might explain the changes seen."

B

Braveheart

chronic stress/anxiety.... the biggest killer...all the way from the "womb to the tomb"

Peater

'the great recession' just lol...we haven't even had it yet. They kicked the can down the road that's all. There's a massive financial shitstorm on its way.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
'the great recession' just lol...we haven't even had it yet. They kicked the can down the road that's all. There's a massive financial shitstorm on its way.

I fully agree, but the sad reality is that no real solutions have been implemented in the West for the last ~100 years. It has been "kicking the can down the road" ever since 1920s. So, this "solution" of the Great Recession is just more of the same. I suspect there will be more than just a recession. In fact, I fear another event starting with an "R".

Peater

I fully agree, but the sad reality is that no real solutions have been implemented in the West for the last ~100 years. It has been "kicking the can down the road" ever since 1920s. So, this "solution" of the Great Recession is just more of the same. I suspect there will be more than just a recession. In fact, I fear another event starting with an "R".

Reset?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Peater

I'm just glad it wasn't Redundancy, i like idealabs products :D

(I know it's not your day job)

johnwester130

Your thoughts absolutely affect your health and electrical flow in the body and hormones.

Just look at a lie detector test and when you have an intense dream,

Your thoughts absolutely affect your health and electrical flow in the body and hormones.

Just look at a lie detector test and when you have an intense dream,
I wonder what mindset is the most healthy? Is it one of confidence, or comfort, or strength? I mean there must be some sort of ideal. I mean we obviously established that stress is bad, but what is the ideal?

Tenacity

I wonder what mindset is the most healthy? Is it one of confidence, or comfort, or strength? I mean there must be some sort of ideal. I mean we obviously established that stress is bad, but what is the ideal?

Depends on the context I imagine. Hope in the face of uncertainty ia very protective.