Secret snack ideas

Fetch

So I am looking for something I can snack on secretly at work. I'm in carpenter and I am work in cleanrooms (chip processing). This means I can only eat at breaks about 3 to 4 hours apart. But it also means I don't want to eat big portions or lots of liquids. I need to be able to crouch and crawl in tight areas inside of robots and tools and climb things that require a good amount of flexibility and I find if I eat to much it slows me down to much and can make certain positions hard. Also though I am using lots of energy if I consume a ton of calories at once on it makes tired. Also I am probably not the best as far as storing and utilizing sugar yet.

What I am looking for is a little snack mostly sugar but some protein and salt would be nice also. That I can carry in my pocket and sneak out once in awhile to keep my energy up and stress down. It has to be something I can just pop in my mouth and won't melt or be crushed in my pocket and isn't bulky. I am in a full cleanroom gown covering my mouth. Besides bending my fall protection and sometimes heavy tool bags will smash anything in my very warm pockets. So no chocolate or crumbly things.

My only idea is hard candy.

Does anyone know of a good brand or maybe one that is salty

Any ideas are appreciated whether it's for the snack or other solutions for my diet.

Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Gummy squares, possibly.

OP
F

Fetch

Charlie do you mean like a homemade gummy. I have never made those, are they stable at body temperature and can you make them really firm?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fetch, yes you can make them pretty firm. Even too firm for eating. :lol: I don't see why they would not be ok for a few hours, maybe someone else will know better on that though.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=35&p=12713&hilit=squares#p19300

Can adjust the recipe to your liking.

All of that. But perhaps dates can get annihilated inside a pocket. Maybe hard candy could carry enough sugar.

OP
F

Fetch

Maybe marshmallows I don't know how much sugar that is I can only eat like one as it's totally against the rules to have any food or to go into your pockets inside your gown when in the cleanroom. But I will look into it thanks.

I tried cheese sticks they turned into a paste inside my pocket from the heat and movement and I couldn't really eat them in secret. Also laying on a cheese cheese stick or setting something heavy on it pops the package in your pocket :(

Bugles, grapes , and dried fruit would be both smashed in my pockets and kind of hard to eat. Think about pealing mushed up dried fruit out of a bag inside your pocket with your arm inside of an adult onesie, squeezed past a belt and harness on the outside of the onesei then out the hand hole of the sleeve and into your mouth that's covered to your nose. Without people noticing.

As for carrots I feel I would need to eat more then one in which case they would get bulky and a bit obvious. There are people watching you for protocol violations and testing for particles in the air so the least amount of pocket to mouth is the best.

Never the less thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to reply

barbwirehouse

Hard candy, dried fruit (dates, raisins), honey

You say that things in your pockets could break, you may not want to carry the honey in the glass container as it could shatter and impale your legs. Plastic is looked down upon in the Peat community but you could use a small flip top plastic container.

Charlie said:
Fetch, yes you can make them pretty firm. Even too firm for eating. :lol: I don't see why they would not be ok for a few hours, maybe someone else will know better on that though.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=35&p=12713&hilit=squares#p19300

Can adjust the recipe to your liking.

They don't taste very good though :sick:

Wait so we are talking inside the cleanroom, protocol bending territory here :lol: Now I picture you as the guy who hides inside robots to eat and wonders how all those nerds can manage the shifts and drives the ISO technicians crazy :mrgreen: Sounds like an awesome job by the way

tara

Reminds me of trying to sneak food in class. Some dried fruit is fine even if squished, some gets sticky and hard to handle. Hard candies. Maybe a little beef jerky? Lots of hard candy long term can cause issues - I suspect because it's too high a sugar concentration to have in one place in your mouth for too long.

Are you not allowed to go to the loo for 4 hrs? Sounds like inhuman conditions. Since you asked for other ideas, organise and negotiate a change so you get a short break every 2 hrs, and have a calorie dense nutritious drink ready to swig in your break?

OP
F

Fetch

Such Saturation

Yeah it's kinda cool I have been in the cleanroom for about 5 years now. But I am just a Union Carpenter I use to build high-rises (concrete) and do finish woodwork, wood and metal framing and drywall. Then the recession hit and I ended up at Intel and got lucky enough to start installing "material handling systems" basically tracks that robots ride on and huge boxes 60' wide by 30' high that robots stack and organize boxes of wafers in. It's cool because I got to learn basic pipe fitting and electrical work as a carpenter. Plus we do a lot of very tricky rigging that takes some creative problem solving and enough risk to keep it interesting.

It sucks being in the cleanroom sometimes and I usually have to work 5 ten hour shifts sometimes even 60 and 70 hour weeks but it's been a great way to save money.

OP
F

Fetch

Tara
Yeah you would imagine I could just step out to go pee and I could but not to much. The reason being it takes so much time to walk out de-gown and walk to a bathroom then come all the way back in. I can do whatever I want I just may get 2 checks before the guy that holds it. So once a day or usually less yeah 2 or 3 times a day everyday no.

Fetch said:
Such Saturation

Yeah it's kinda cool I have been in the cleanroom for about 5 years now. But I am just a Union Carpenter I use to build high-rises (concrete) and do finish woodwork, wood and metal framing and drywall. Then the recession hit and I ended up at Intel and got lucky enough to start installing "material handling systems" basically tracks that robots ride on and huge boxes 60' wide by 30' high that robots stack and organize boxes of wafers in. It's cool because I got to learn basic pipe fitting and electrical work as a carpenter. Plus we do a lot of very tricky rigging that takes some creative problem solving and enough risk to keep it interesting.

It sucks being in the cleanroom sometimes and I usually have to work 5 ten hour shifts sometimes even 60 and 70 hour weeks but it's been a great way to save money.

That is neat!

tara

Fetch said:
Tara
Yeah you would imagine I could just step out to go pee and I could but not to much. The reason being it takes so much time to walk out de-gown and walk to a bathroom then come all the way back in. I can do whatever I want I just may get 2 checks before the guy that holds it. So once a day or usually less yeah 2 or 3 times a day everyday no.
Make sure you have something really nutritious to swig quickly on the rare occasions when you do get out then. And a good high calorie breakfast and lunch:)
Some people do seem to manage to train their glycogen storage for longer stints between meals, but I don't know if there's a quick route to that. I'm certainly not there yet, and I'd really struggle in your shoes.

OP
F

Fetch

Tara
You mentioned you think having the hard candy sitting in your mouth for so long and often maybe an issue. Do you think if I just swallowed it like a pill maybe it would be less problematic?

Has anyone heard of a "Healthy" hard candy? without much stuff other then sugar maybe a fructose based one? does fructose even work that way?

Zach Mango/banana is a good idea I think it would stay pretty together the amount I would need to eat maybe a problem.

tara

Fetch said:
Tara
You mentioned you think having the hard candy sitting in your mouth for so long and often maybe an issue. Do you think if I just swallowed it like a pill maybe it would be less problematic?
Don't know. My experience was of having boiled lollies in the same place in my mouth for hours most days for a long time. Some cells got out of line. It'd be harder to notice the problem in the inside dark, but maybe they would dissolve quicker and be moving around more, and therefore lower risk?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals