Rolfing

LUH 3417

Hi
Has anyone had any experience with Rolfing/structural integration? I have some postural issues I want to address, namely one shoulder being higher than the other. I have slight scoliosis and my rib cage is more prominent on one side as well I do yoga and have done chiropractic and PT but neither were helpful. This structural imbalance is causing me shoulder and neck pain. Any comments are appreciated.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

The left which means my left rib cage also protrudes more to compensate for the curvature in my spine. Is there a reason you ask?

Herbie

Ok so does your ribcage stick out on the left side?

Im just trying to understand which way your spine is twisted.

Its important because there are reasons for it.

I've had Rolfing, a full set of sessions, done by a good practitioner. I think it is useful perhaps. I don't think it is lasting. I think stretching and exercise are better.

I've found this Mulligan Concept very useful -- check it out

Herbie

I had a scoliosis and kyphosis for many years, my left shoulder was higher, I was depressed through the right side of my rib cage. I went to chiros and osteos and I am a pt who has studied who to repair postural issues but didn't last.

It came down to poor liver function I was crunching over crushing the liver and as I learnt to repair it from Peats work my scoliosis and kyphosis naturally went away and I wasn't doing any stretching or anything it all came down to diet.

I think its do to with electrical circuits in the body and when my liver wasn't functioning well the electricity couldn't flow through and my body couldn't hold itself up.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

Ok so does your ribcage stick out on the left side?

Im just trying to understand which way your spine is twisted.

Its important because there are reasons for it.
Yes my rib cage does stick out more on the left side - thank you for pointing out that the side is significant, I did not know that. Could you explain why?

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

I had a scoliosis and kyphosis for many years, my left shoulder was higher, I was depressed through the right side of my rib cage. I went to chiros and osteos and I am a pt who has studied who to repair postural issues but didn't last.

It came down to poor liver function I was crunching over crushing the liver and as I learnt to repair it from Peats work my scoliosis and kyphosis naturally went away and I wasn't doing any stretching or anything it all came down to diet.
That's really interesting. Sometimes my spleen would vibrate in the past (or what I think is my spleen? Maybe adrenals. Don't really know) under extreme stress. The liver is on the right side and I am pretty sure I have a fatty liver which I was told when using a frequency scanning device called the metatron.

Herbie

You might be onto something there focusing on the liver.

I focused on keeping pufa under 5g a day and drinking plenty of coffee, coca cola, gelatine, carrot, milk, cheese, oysters, prawn/shrimp, liver, beef that kind of a diet consistently, it wasn't easy at first but kept making steady progress.

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

You might be onto something there focusing on the liver.

I focused on keeping pufa under 5g a day and drinking plenty of coffee, coca cola, gelatine, carrot, milk, cheese, oysters, prawn/shrimp, liver, beef that kind of a diet consistently, it wasn't easy at first but kept making steady progress.
Sounds good. Thanks for your insight I appreciate it.

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Yes I do rolfing. Had full 10 sessions over a year period. Really really helps. Make sure you choose someone greally good, lots of these guys (usually the guys are the ones who have done it the longest) have done it for 30 years. They are the best. Fixed my anterior pelvic tilt, i gain 1/2-1" every time I go back to it and do a short session. Suggest doing the full 10, then taking a few month break, then coming back for mini sessions of 3-5 however frequently they are needed. The changes do revert but you definitely feel and move differently during the sessions, and my practitioner says eventually you can get lasting structural changes as the body better learns. It's legit,but make sure you find a legit practitioner.

sprinter

My left shoulder is higher too. I have a functional leg length discrepancy with my left leg being longer then my right. My pelvis was also hitched up on one side. In my case, there are muscles that need to be stretched because they are tight and muscles that need to be strengthened because they are weak.

Last edited:
I tried about 5 rolfing sessions, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. While I did experience some difference in how I moved, it wasn't affecting my nervous system the way I wanted it to. Maybe I needed to give it more time, but I decided to move on to some other stuff.

I've tried Network Spinal Analysis which is great for gaining body-awareness. It's like your nervous system begins to self-regulate because it is communicating better with those messed up parts. This one was kind of slow for me, but I could only afford 1 session a week at the time. I think if you go 2-3 times a week, you can heal more quickly. And the cool thing about that therapy is that after a few sessions, your body begins to reintegrate on it's own.

I've also tried Upper Cervical Care which focuses on aligning your cervical spine so that the rest of your body falls into alignment over time with help from gravity. This one gave some benefits, but felt too slow and subtle. However, some people experience remarkable benefits from just one session.

What I'm doing now is Neuromechanical therapy. So far, this one has given me the most benefit and the most noticeable change. Maybe the technique is superior or maybe it's just what was right for me. My primary concern is calming down my nervous system, taking it out of the Fight-Flight-Freeze response. However, I also have imbalances such as one leg being shorter than the other and uneven shoulders. These imbalances have been slowly getting better with all the stuff I've tried, but neuromechanical therapy has been the best and the fastest for me.

Herbie

My left shoulder is higher too. I have a functional leg length discrepancy with my left leg being longer then my right. My pelvis was also hitched up on one side. In my case, there are muscles that need to be stretched because they are tight and muscles that need to be strengthened because they are weak.

You may not have a longer leg.

Because your pelvis is hiked up (hip hike) on the right side it makes your left long appear longer but the problem lays with the muscles around your right hip.

I used to have this same issue and I used to lay over a swiss ball to open up the area to stretch the quadratus lumborum, rectus abdomens, psoas muscles etc because they were tight.

But the approach I took at trying to stretch the tight muscles, strengthen the weak ones etc didn't have an effect on me.

I stopped doing it all and just focussed on my diet and it all just cleared up on its own.

sprinter

You may not have a longer leg.

Because your pelvis is hiked up (hip hike) on the right side it makes your left long appear longer but the problem lays with the muscles around your right hip.

I used to have this same issue and I used to lay over a swiss ball to open up the area to stretch the quadratus lumborum, rectus abdomens, psoas muscles etc because they were tight.

But the approach I took at trying to stretch the tight muscles, strengthen the weak ones etc didn't have an effect on me.

I stopped doing it all and just focussed on my diet and it all just cleared up on its own.

Yes, what you describe is what I have and commonly refereed to as a "functional" leg length discrepancy. If the bones of my legs were actually a different length I believe it is called a "structural" leg length discrepancy.

Quite amazing that diet cleared up the problem for you!

Herbie

Ok makes sense.

I had a functional scoliosis. I became aware that I had a lot of symptoms of poor liver function and the liver was tender when palpated and when I came across Rays work I really started experimenting with his recommendations as I felt that it make sense to me based on my history and symptoms and one day just noticed I was standing up straight and no longer had any of the other symptoms anymore.

If someone had punched me or I had wounded in the area of the liver I would walk and hold myself the same way as that I used to.

Waynish

I'd look into chiro first - try to find someone experienced setting feet/hands/limbs since they're usually more skilled than someone who is just a "back expert." The best I've seen is bone setting. It was the longest lasting, most precise, and least dangerous. It is very hard to find a "qigong bone setter," but I do know of one master who does it in Taiwan. I once saw someone with scoliosis come out with a relatively straight back - my friends and I were like, "wtf?!"

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals