Re-infected Root Canal

amd

You are supposed to get a crown not long after a root canal.

The tooth surface weakens and you'll get cavities.

johnwester130

I disagree. Leaving a dead tooth in place will forever keep you from reaching a certain higher level of health, and pose a continuous risk of infection. Achieving optimal level of cellular oxygenation is not possible with root canals or implants, because after a specific threshold the immune system will begin to try to reject those, and until they are fully expulsed out of the system, further advancements will not be made.

this is fascinating

akgrrrl

Well, it is a year since these last posts. Can you update on your re-infection?
I am asking because I am year 4 in with a botched rootcanal then pulled tooth. 19 prescriptions of antibiotic later it has cast a shadow over my whole life. Started oxygen therapies 4wks ago trying to dissolve bacteria hiding under biofilms.

Bluebell

akgrrrl it could be worth checking to see if there is a piece of infected tooth or ligament left behind in the socket, and/or if there is an abscess hidden away above the root (upper jaw) or below the root (lower jaw) of where the original tooth was, or even an infection in the jawbone (hopefully not). Would be good to know where the continued infection is coming from, now that the infected tooth itself is gone. Would have to be xray or even cbct though, which is not ideal. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited:

akgrrrl

akgrrrl it could be worth checking to see if there is a piece of infected tooth or ligament left behind in the socket, and/or if there is an abscess hidden away above the root (upper jaw) or below the root (lower jaw) of where the original tooth was, or even an infection in the jawbone (hopefully not). Would be good to know where the continued infection is coming from, now that the infected tooth itself is gone. Would have to be xray or even cbct though, which is not ideal. I hope you get it sorted soon.
Thanks. I had imaging done in 2020 and 2022 that showed a slight shadowy area at the tip where the root was in the jaw, but the dentists claimed it "inconclusive" but then wrote me more antibiotic. It is frustrating when the guys that are supposed to know, pretty much just shrug their shoulders. They did ask me if I wanted a referral to an oral surgeon. What?

AlaskaJono

Thanks. I had imaging done in 2020 and 2022 that showed a slight shadowy area at the tip where the root was in the jaw, but the dentists claimed it "inconclusive" but then wrote me more antibiotic. It is frustrating when the guys that are supposed to know, pretty much just shrug their shoulders. They did ask me if I wanted a referral to an oral surgeon. What?
G'day Akgrrrl, did you have both aerobic And anaerobic antibiotics at the same time? I have had 2 teeth pulled in the last 12 months, both infected, and both molars. Dentist prescribed for the first one (and a delayed Extraction 'cuz XMAS time......) Amoxicillin (500mg) and Metronidazole (400mg 3tid) for 5 days, and it brought the pain down to reasonable levels for 10-12 days. A hairline crack in a tooth may or may not be visible.

In history I also had a root canal done, then ANOTHER infection on the same tooth about 10 years later. So they just drilled through the bridge and packed it with antibiotics and another plug. The crazy thing was we were having the Taku winds in Juneau then and it was -5 to +10 for a week or two, and that makes some 'normal teeth' kinda hurt. Anyhow, I let the dentist there in Juneau do it again.

My experience with infection of the tooth is it will wear you down. So if you can get or have gotten BOTH antibiotics at the same time, good. If the pain subsides, and stays away. You are golden. And if not...... I hate to say it but yeah, you might have to get them to go into the root canal area and clean it out. Again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals