Pulpitis - trying to avoid root canal

Francesca123

I’m just back from the dentist where she replaced an old deep filling. After drilling my tooth, she stopped and said I needed a root canal. I asked if that was the only option and she said she could fill it but there is a 90% chance I will need a root canal. I went with the filling which I realise is unorthodox and I will likely need a root canal but I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to help the pulp heal? She said it could take up to 6 months if it is going to heal.

Thank you

Steve

I don't know if this article is useful, but I had it saved in my notes....I've never personally dealt with a root canal issue.

Dr. Peat has said he would prefer a root canal over an extraction. I tend to agree after going back and forth on this over the years.

You want to find a dentist who really takes sterilization of the tissue seriously. There are some decent tools available for the dentist these days.

To prevent the need, get yourself a bent needle blunt syringe that you can buy on Amazon. Then inject some diluted saltwater/amoxicillin or hydrogen peroxide into the pockets. Often this gets rid of the infection even if they say it's deep.

peatra

I don’t know if this would solve pulpitis but I had an inflamed pocket which completely resolved in days by taking sublingual bpc-157 tablets and holding the tablet near the area in question.

OP
F

Francesca123

Dr. Peat has said he would prefer a root canal over an extraction. I tend to agree after going back and forth on this over the years.

You want to find a dentist who really takes sterilization of the tissue seriously. There are some decent tools available for the dentist these days.

To prevent the need, get yourself a bent needle blunt syringe that you can buy on Amazon. Then inject some diluted saltwater/amoxicillin or hydrogen peroxide into the pockets. Often this gets rid of the infection even if they say it's deep.
Thank you! It is my first premolar so I am definitely not getting it extracted haha. There is no pocket or anything like that as the dentist placed a filling over the exposed pulp. I’m not sure how to get a referral to an Endodontist from my general dentist but I will ask!

Jinju

I had a similar situation a few years ago (had to do a root canal finally after exhausting all options) but the dentist who diagnosed the pulpitis initially recommended a different kind of temporary filling to help the nerve heal. He said that they would give it 6 weeks and if the nerve had healed, they would replace it with a regular filling. Else it would have to be a root canal.
I do not recall what the alternative treatment was called unfortunately ..

InChristAlone

I had a similar situation a few years ago (had to do a root canal finally after exhausting all options) but the dentist who diagnosed the pulpitis initially recommended a different kind of temporary filling to help the nerve heal. He said that they would give it 6 weeks and if the nerve had healed, they would replace it with a regular filling. Else it would have to be a root canal.
I think it's a calcium material they put in there as a temporary filling? The pulp can heal.

OP
F

Francesca123

Hey! Thank you! From my research it sounds like this might be a pulp capping procedure where they put a medicated filling material over the exposed pulp! I have no idea whether my dentist did that or not but I’m assuming she did because it seems risky to just cover the exposed pulp with a regular filling! How did you tooth turn out in the end?

OP
F

Francesca123

I think it's a calcium material they put in there as a temporary filling? The pulp can heal.
Yes I think you’re right! My dentist never mentioned whether she did this but I’m assuming (and hoping) that she did lol

Jinju

Hey! Thank you! From my research it sounds like this might be a pulp capping procedure where they put a medicated filling material over the exposed pulp! I have no idea whether my dentist did that or not but I’m assuming she did because it seems risky to just cover the exposed pulp with a regular filling! How did you tooth turn out in the end?
Right - it was a 'medicated' filling with some form of clove extract in it (from what I recall).
Unfortunately I delayed the procedure too long while figuring out the best way to proceed. The nerve died and I did a root canal eventually (over a year later) - but not the one with the gutta percha filling. This was calcium hydroxide.

Jinju

I have filed away this tidbit! Thank you....

OP
F

Francesca123

Right - it was a 'medicated' filling with some form of clove extract in it (from what I recall).
Unfortunately I delayed the procedure too long while figuring out the best way to proceed. The nerve died and I did a root canal eventually (over a year later) - but not the one with the gutta percha filling. This was calcium hydroxide.
Yes I think I will eventually need a root canal too but while the pulp is still alive I may as well keep my somewhat healthy tooth!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals