Tooth Chipped/damaged + Cavities -- What Should I Do Now?

I have had a damaged tooth for years now. It is missing some of it due to a longstanding cavity I've had for years. I can chew on the tooth, but only soft foods -- hard stuff causes sometimes EXTREME nerve pain/aches, so I tend to chew hard stuff on my other side.

But I have a few other cavities as well -- 3 in total I'm pretty sure of. Aside from the cavity on this teeth in particular, it is also chipped somehow -- i.e., damaged/cracked from something in the past I chewed on. I think maybe another is chipped too, but not as badly as the one with the bigger cavity.

About a year ago I started having lots of pain in this one tooth that felt almost like a dental abscess kind of pain -- sharp, intense, prolonged. I eventually made it go away with numbing creams + oregano + other stuff like cleaning/salt/etc. Not sure what was wrong, but at least the pain went away.

Anyhow, I've weighed the options and most dentists would probably either want to remove the tooth entirely (which I don't want) -- or try and do a root canal with maybe fillers of some sort. I don't mind this, but also not sure what else could be an option for me now.

I decided it'd probably be good to get some feedback here. What would be the best road to go down? Diet and etc. doesn't seem to do anything for the cavity up to now -- it's not tiny and is pretty noticeable/a black colored depression on the side. Should a root canal be enough to at least patch it up? Some other kind of cleaning/method I'm not aware of that may not be as common/known of? I definitely don't want any teeth removed that don't have to be 100%. A slightly chipped tooth w/cavity doesn't require removal in my opinion, because removing teeth can often have more consequences vs. just patching it up and letting it remain as is/heal/etc.

The tooth is a molar if anyone was wondering. Two of the cavities are on molars, and one is very tiny and on an incisor.

I guess I could show pictures, but it would take some work to get them properly lit/angled/etc.

I've heard from some that diet and supplementation if necessary can reverse cavities, but that hasn't been my experience. I follow quite the Peat-y diet and have been for a little over a month now, but didn't have any serious malnutrition or such that I know of beforehand. Any supplements I should add/recommendations too? I'm open to nearly anything if it can help remineralize/reduce cavities/etc. I have had these 3 cavities for at least around 8-10 years -- some just got slightly worse since if anything.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I decided it'd probably be good to get some feedback here. What would be the best road to go down? Diet and etc. doesn't seem to do anything for the cavity up to now -- it's not tiny and is pretty noticeable/a black colored depression on the side. Should a root canal be enough to at least patch it up? Some other kind of cleaning/method I'm not aware of that may not be as common/known of? I definitely don't want any teeth removed that don't have to be 100%. A slightly chipped tooth w/cavity doesn't require removal in my opinion, because removing teeth can often have more consequences vs. just patching it up and letting it remain as is/heal/etc.

I'm wary of root canals, and after listening to Hal Huggins and Thomas Levy, would likely opt for extraction over a root canal. Attached is a video of Hal Huggins explaining what happens when you get a root canal-

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Infected roots can harbor bacteria, such as H. Pylori, and serve as a 'reservoir' to repeatably infection the stomach to cause ulcers:

Helicobacter pylori and its reservoirs: A correlation with the gastric infection

My wife had an ulcer and around the same time a root canal treatment, one of the three roots of that tooth still showed an infection on a CT dental scan. She is going to have this checked this month. That made me search for a connection between root canal infection and stomach ulcer on the Internet.

I have several root canal treated teeth, one from an accident when I was 11 years old (I am 64 now). I use 'MMS' (chlorine dioxide) as a mouth wash, I mix one drop of 50% citric acid with 4 drops of 25% sodium chlorite (this is the proper stoichiometric ratio) directly into the (dry) water tank of my Panasonic Oral Irrigator, wait about one minute and then fill it up with water. Don't use MMS 1:1, or the citric acid left over will attack the teeth's enamel. Best would be 9% hydrochloric acid as an activator, but nobody sells it with that...

Then I swallow this water, too. It will kill harmful bacteria from the mouth (or root canals). In addition, I take Zeta Aid every day religiously, it charges up the blood and strengthens the colloidal system of the blood, thereby preventing the formation (or dissolving) biofilms inside the blood vessels or on the heart valves.

I think chlorine dioxide and Zeta Aid go hand in hand in preventing cardiovascular disease.

Dr. TC McDaniel Zeta Aid Welcome

5 days of the 4 + 1 drop mix completely demolished the early onset of arthritis and stiff fingers in the 60 year-old caretaker of my mom back in 2012. I forgot to ask her but she probably had a root canal treatment.

So people past 55 years of age should take Zeta Aid and use chlorine dioxide to keep healthy, if they have any root canals or dental problems, I think. In my family, we have our teeth cleaned at the dentist every 3 months.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Infected roots can harbor bacteria, such as H. Pylori, and serve as a 'reservoir' to repeatably infection the stomach to cause ulcers:

Helicobacter pylori and its reservoirs: A correlation with the gastric infection

My wife had an ulcer and around the same time a root canal treatment, one of the three roots of that tooth still showed an infection on a CT dental scan. She is going to have this checked this month. That made me search for a connection between root canal infection and stomach ulcer on the Internet.

I have several root canal treated teeth, one from an accident when I was 11 years old (I am 64 now). I use 'MMS' (chlorine dioxide) as a mouth wash, I mix one drop of 50% citric acid with 4 drops of 25% sodium chlorite (this is the proper stoichiometric ratio) directly into the (dry) water tank of my Panasonic Oral Irrigator, wait about one minute and then fill it up with water. Don't use MMS 1:1, or the citric acid left over will attack the teeth's enamel. Best would be 9% hydrochloric acid as an activator, but nobody sells it with that...

Then I swallow this water, too. It will kill harmful bacteria from the mouth (or root canals). In addition, I take Zeta Aid every day religiously, it charges up the blood and strengthens the colloidal system of the blood, thereby preventing the formation (or dissolving) biofilms inside the blood vessels or on the heart valves.

I think chlorine dioxide and Zeta Aid go hand in hand in preventing cardiovascular disease.

5 days of the 4 + 1 drop mix completely demolished the early onset of arthritis and stiff fingers in the 60 year-old caretaker of my mom back in 2012. I forgot to ask her but she probably had a root canal treatment.

So people past 55 years of age should take Zeta Aid and use chlorine dioxide to keep healthy, if they have any root canals or dental problems, I think. In my family, we have our teeth cleaned at the dentist every 3 months.

I'm nowhere near your age though.

One thing I can add is that I've noticed more stomach ills/woes since the tooth began aching more. It wasn't entirely abrupt, but it did gradually get worse at least in the sense of pain, which then followed to the point now with the much more constant bouts of gas/burping/hiccups/stomach growling/etc.

I'll just take some pictures and add them here so everyone can get a clearer idea with a visual sense.

sam7

I have had a damaged tooth for years now. It is missing some of it due to a longstanding cavity I've had for years. I can chew on the tooth, but only soft foods -- hard stuff causes sometimes EXTREME nerve pain/aches, so I tend to chew hard stuff on my other side.

But I have a few other cavities as well -- 3 in total I'm pretty sure of. Aside from the cavity on this teeth in particular, it is also chipped somehow -- i.e., damaged/cracked from something in the past I chewed on. I think maybe another is chipped too, but not as badly as the one with the bigger cavity.

About a year ago I started having lots of pain in this one tooth that felt almost like a dental abscess kind of pain -- sharp, intense, prolonged. I eventually made it go away with numbing creams + oregano + other stuff like cleaning/salt/etc. Not sure what was wrong, but at least the pain went away.

Anyhow, I've weighed the options and most dentists would probably either want to remove the tooth entirely (which I don't want) -- or try and do a root canal with maybe fillers of some sort. I don't mind this, but also not sure what else could be an option for me now.

The tooth is a molar if anyone was wondering. Two of the cavities are on molars, and one is very tiny and on an incisor.

I guess I could show pictures, but it would take some work to get them properly lit/angled/etc.

I've heard from some that diet and supplementation if necessary can reverse cavities, but that hasn't been my experience. I follow quite the Peat-y diet and have been for a little over a month now, but didn't have any serious malnutrition or such that I know of beforehand. Any supplements I should add/recommendations too? I'm open to nearly anything if it can help remineralize/reduce cavities/etc. I have had these 3 cavities for at least around 8-10 years -- some just got slightly worse since if anything.

Have you taken any action yet? I've got a very similar problem to you - identical sounding actually - but I've only had it for around 4 years. I've previously had a tooth extractedt because it was just too painful (wisdom tooth and cavity) but I regret having it extracted instead of at least trying to have it root canaled (the lazy **** dentist said it was too awkward to get to for a root canal. Now I'm facing a similar problem with another molar... at this point I think it's about damage control.. diet won't reverse it but I sure know a decent diet can slow its progress... would sure like to be able to chew confidently on that side of my mouth though! I might just chance the root canal... hmmm.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Have you taken any action yet? I've got a very similar problem to you - identical sounding actually - but I've only had it for around 4 years. I've previously had a tooth extractedt because it was just too painful (wisdom tooth and cavity) but I regret having it extracted instead of at least trying to have it root canaled (the lazy **** dentist said it was too awkward to get to for a root canal. Now I'm facing a similar problem with another molar... at this point I think it's about damage control.. diet won't reverse it but I sure know a decent diet can slow its progress... would sure like to be able to chew confidently on that side of my mouth though! I might just chance the root canal... hmmm.

No, haven't done anything really yet. I am not 100% sure it can't be reversed (outside of just diet) but even if so the means would be complicated and maybe experimental.

The pain isn't as bad always though. I might just get the biggest cavity eventually cleaned and filled or something (even if I do the filling myself) and leave the rest as is or just wait to see what the near future holds for remineralizing/physiological correction/etc.

sam7

No, haven't done anything really yet. I am not 100% sure it can't be reversed (outside of just diet) but even if so the means would be complicated and maybe experimental.

The pain isn't as bad always though. I might just get the biggest cavity eventually cleaned and filled or something (even if I do the filling myself) and leave the rest as is or just wait to see what the near future holds for remineralizing/physiological correction/etc.

Yes, I think I'l be doing a similar thing. I'd like to get them cleaned out (although the dentists I've seen have refused to do this if I don't also want them filling it with mercury and other such poisons)... but if I can't get them cleaned out I'll hold out with just eating on one side and keep my diet best as I can.

Do you get pain from the different foods you eat? For me sugar chewy things, even if relatively soft, can cause quite a bit of aching pain.

I actually think we'll see mercury and other such things get phased out in mainstream dentistry (hopefully anyway).

Jib

I've been using Apagard M-Plus nanohydroxyapatite toothpaste and Uncle Harry's Miracle Mouthwash.

Simple, but effective. Apagard Premio apparently has a higher concentration of the nanohydroxyapatite. I've also used Sensodyne with Novamin (have to order from Canada) with very good results.

The Miracle Mouthwash is good stuff. Leaves my mouth feeling really fresh. You can dilute a small amount of it with water. Straight outta the bottle it's pretty potent stuff. That brand also makes a remineralizing liquid, but I've never tried it.

OP
MetabolicTrash
Yes, I think I'l be doing a similar thing. I'd like to get them cleaned out (although the dentists I've seen have refused to do this if I don't also want them filling it with mercury and other such poisons)... but if I can't get them cleaned out I'll hold out with just eating on one side and keep my diet best as I can.

Do you get pain from the different foods you eat? For me sugar chewy things, even if relatively soft, can cause quite a bit of aching pain.

I actually think we'll see mercury and other such things get phased out in mainstream dentistry (hopefully anyway).

I'm not sure about the pain. I think sometimes it's sensitive when I've bitten down on things that "resist" such a maybe harder foods, meats and etc.

I just chew on both sides, but have a more "mindful" approach to the chewing -- i.e. not just biting down like a shark or such and then noticing the pain.

I notice sugar immediately causes pain if it falls/sits in the area too long, but that's doubtful to be a sugar issue. I just rinse my mouth occasionally throughout the day since I drink fruit juice often. Dentistry is hopefully advancing beyond the yank, pull and "kill" approaches toward cavity handling, yeah.

I'll also try and look in to that stuff mentioned by @Jib too.

Jeek

I'll second the sensodyne suggestion, and suggest also k2 (I use Thorne liquid). Last 2 dentist checkups no holes or damage.
I also drink a lot of milk, but eat sugar all day and drink coke and OJ too.

schultz

I had an old filling fall out several years ago. Apparently composite fillings don't last that long. 7 to 8 years or something. Mine was in for 14 years. Interestingly I noticed pain where that filling was 8 or so years ago which I remedied by having a couple cloves sitting in my mouth where the filling was and occasionally chewing them. The pain didn't return but the filling eventually fell out when I was chewing some beef jerky maybe 3 years ago?

When I read about this on PubMed, going through various papers, it is apparently normal for the fillings to not only have a pretty short lifespan (8 years is not very long) but to also 'leak'. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea that they are expected to leak. I wanted to protect my tooth while I had no filling in it so I purchased some silver diamine fluoride (SDF) and applied it to the area, which of course turns it black, but it's a molar so it is not really visible so I don't care. I then applied it again the following week and then again after 6 months. 3 applications like this will have an almost 100% arrest rate for dental caries. I still have not got my filling replaced. Mainly I don't want to pay for it to be honest and I have not had any problems with the tooth being filling free and it is not visible.

You can always apply SDF to your cavity and it will arrest it. It also can help prevent sensitivity. It's a very tiny amount that is applied to the tooth and none of it contacts the gums so it is a very sensible way to use a fluoride product. One drop can treat 5 teeth or something. It will turn any area that has exposed dentin black however. It will not stain enamel. If you want to see which areas will turn black you can apply some methylene blue and see what that stains. I think the methylene blue will stain the same things as the SDF.

Anyhoo the SDF will fix the problem. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'll probably get a new filling eventually, and I will feel good about having the SDF under the filling for protection. Keep in mind that if I do get a filling over the SDF that there will still be a black outline around the filling from the SDF. So if you do use the stuff know that a future filling may not hide it completely.

Edit: MB will also stain plaque

Sunrise

I had an old filling fall out several years ago. Apparently composite fillings don't last that long. 7 to 8 years or something. Mine was in for 14 years. Interestingly I noticed pain where that filling was 8 or so years ago which I remedied by having a couple cloves sitting in my mouth where the filling was and occasionally chewing them. The pain didn't return but the filling eventually fell out when I was chewing some beef jerky maybe 3 years ago?

When I read about this on PubMed, going through various papers, it is apparently normal for the fillings to not only have a pretty short lifespan (8 years is not very long) but to also 'leak'. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea that they are expected to leak. I wanted to protect my tooth while I had no filling in it so I purchased some silver diamine fluoride (SDF) and applied it to the area, which of course turns it black, but it's a molar so it is not really visible so I don't care. I then applied it again the following week and then again after 6 months. 3 applications like this will have an almost 100% arrest rate for dental caries. I still have not got my filling replaced. Mainly I don't want to pay for it to be honest and I have not had any problems with the tooth being filling free and it is not visible.

You can always apply SDF to your cavity and it will arrest it. It also can help prevent sensitivity. It's a very tiny amount that is applied to the tooth and none of it contacts the gums so it is a very sensible way to use a fluoride product. One drop can treat 5 teeth or something. It will turn any area that has exposed dentin black however. It will not stain enamel. If you want to see which areas will turn black you can apply some methylene blue and see what that stains. I think the methylene blue will stain the same things as the SDF.

Anyhoo the SDF will fix the problem. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'll probably get a new filling eventually, and I will feel good about having the SDF under the filling for protection. Keep in mind that if I do get a filling over the SDF that there will still be a black outline around the filling from the SDF. So if you do use the stuff know that a future filling may not hide it completely.

Edit: MB will also stain plaque
doesn't de SDF leeches fluoride into your mouth?

schultz

doesn't de SDF leeches fluoride into your mouth?

I imagine it probably does a tiny bit. I think the amount is probably miniscule. The amount used to treat a tooth is like 1/5th of a drop and it is put directly on the area of the tooth, whereas something like a fluoride rinse or toothpaste can contact the gums and absorb through.

If it is stuck to the tooth then I imagine it is not coming off of the tooth for the most part. Tea probably has more fluoride.

I'm willing to be wrong though.

InChristAlone

SDF is absolutely amazing at completely stopping the progression of a cavity. My son had a tooth that had a deep cavity from poor hygiene and it would even ache at times. We put the SDF on it and he's been pain free for months. The dentist suggested a baby root canal.

Sunrise

I imagine it probably does a tiny bit. I think the amount is probably miniscule. The amount used to treat a tooth is like 1/5th of a drop and it is put directly on the area of the tooth, whereas something like a fluoride rinse or toothpaste can contact the gums and absorb through.

If it is stuck to the tooth then I imagine it is not coming off of the tooth for the most part. Tea probably has more fluoride.

I'm willing to be wrong though.
and how does it feel after that procedure? How much time has gone since you applied the fluoride drops? Any symptoms in your life change or new came?

I am thinking about getting some amalgams removed and not filling them as I read somehow that enamel can regrowth. (And that all fillings leech somehow.... But having holes like that ....

Did countries heavy doses of vitamin K2? I wonder if applying that drop of fluoride would stop de regrowth.... There is also Doug Simmons that propose the ancient horsetail for reinstallation. I can't find that kind of horsetail in my area though. If you look in Google for Alternative to Dentists. You can find Simmons proposal.

schultz

and how does it feel after that procedure? How much time has gone since you applied the fluoride drops? Any symptoms in your life change or new came?

I am thinking about getting some amalgams removed and not filling them as I read somehow that enamel can regrowth. (And that all fillings leech somehow.... But having holes like that ....

Did countries heavy doses of vitamin K2? I wonder if applying that drop of fluoride would stop de regrowth.... There is also Doug Simmons that propose the ancient horsetail for reinstallation. I can't find that kind of horsetail in my area though. If you look in Google for Alternative to Dentists. You can find Simmons proposal.

For a day or so it's slightly more sensitive and then after that it reduces sensitivity tremendously to where it just feels like a normal tooth. It's been 2 years. I didn't really intend to go this long without a replacement filling but I don't really like going to the dentist and the missing filling is not visible when I am smiling so I just didn't really get around to it. If I get a new filling over it I will feel a lot better knowing there is a layer of SDF under it. Filling leakage is apparently quite common. What's funny is that fillings only have a lifespan of 8 years or something so if I did get it filled 2 years ago it would already be at 25% of its lifespan. I kind of want to have it filled with gold. I think that looks really neat.

I don't know about enamel regeneration or if the SDF would impair that. If you have exposed dentine then I feel like hoping for enamel to recover that is wishful thinking.

SDF is absolutely amazing at completely stopping the progression of a cavity. My son had a tooth that had a deep cavity from poor hygiene and it would even ache at times. We put the SDF on it and he's been pain free for months. The dentist suggested a baby root canal.

That's amazing. It's even better for deciduous teeth since they are going to fall out anyway. Put a filling in a child's tooth seems unnecessary when when we can just use SDF, especially on molars. Did your son get just a single application?

InChristAlone

For a day or so it's slightly more sensitive and then after that it reduces sensitivity tremendously to where it just feels like a normal tooth. It's been 2 years. I didn't really intend to go this long without a replacement filling but I don't really like going to the dentist and the missing filling is not visible when I am smiling so I just didn't really get around to it. If I get a new filling over it I will feel a lot better knowing there is a layer of SDF under it. Filling leakage is apparently quite common. What's funny is that fillings only have a lifespan of 8 years or something so if I did get it filled 2 years ago it would already be at 25% of its lifespan. I kind of want to have it filled with gold. I think that looks really neat.

I don't know about enamel regeneration or if the SDF would impair that. If you have exposed dentine then I feel like hoping for enamel to recover that is wishful thinking.

That's amazing. It's even better for deciduous teeth since they are going to fall out anyway. Put a filling in a child's tooth seems unnecessary when when we can just use SDF, especially on molars. Did your son get just a single application?
I bought the stuff on ebay, so I applied it myself. It took two times. I didn't know about this treatment really until it was too late though, we spent 2 grand getting 4 of his molars treated with a pulpotomy. One of the molars developed a gum abscess next to it, but that has resolved. The tooth may be dieing though. The treatment can kill the tooth. With SDF the tooth is still very much alive and able to fight for it's existence!

baccheion

Live only on 100% grass-fed organic raw whole milk for a while. Take vitamin K2 MK-4 every 4 hours. Maybe other fat-solubles. Lactase and chymosin/rennet if need more help digesting. Check saliva pH to keep at least above 6.5..

Rinse with some remineralizing formula for 20 minutes and take melatonin + ZMA before going to bed. Melatonin plays a large part in healing cavities. 0.3-1.0 mg may be enough. Balance with vitamin D3 in the AM.

Use a natural (fluoride- and glycerine-free) toothpaste to not impede body's natural remineralization.

12-16 drops Lugol's iodine in 1/2 cup water to rinse mouth for at least 1 minute. One rinse session can keep mouth mostly sterile for months. Spit out.

Blue Water

C

Can you use hydrogen peroxide instead of MMS to swish around?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
C

Can you use hydrogen peroxide instead of MMS to swish around?
I think so. A lot of people are doing this. Also iodine should work. I once had an infection in my gums, it was from a puncture of a teeth cleaning tool. That happened during a routine teeth cleaning, I inadvertently closed my mouth when the hygienist had the tool in my mouth and the tip must have been loaded with bacteria. My cheek was swollen. I bought three mouth rinses, thinking that one of them may have a sanitizing effect. Didn’t work. Then I thought of colloidal silver but the low ppm didn’t work, I think it only had 5 ppm. Then I tried 500 ppm and that finally did it! I don’t know why I didn’t try hydrogen peroxide!