Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

superhuman

RP: 6000 mg per day is the most that I’ve known someone to use safely, but many people have problems with much smaller amounts—it’s important to adjust it to individual needs, and to use it with food; cream in it reduces the rate of absorption. The effects are systemic, and other hormones are involved.

Hooly mafakka? 6000 mg a day, that is the most insane thing i have ever heard :)

paymanz

In the past you have talked about potential issues from charcoal persorption, would these issues lead to clear immune reactions so that feeling better on it means there are no issues?
Interestingly people have tried a product with bigger mesh size but reported less effects.

Ok thanks, so I guess you think that applies to charcoal too, does that mean you recommend against it?

Thanks, are you talking about purity and source (coconuts) or are you talking about mesh size as well?
Do you have an idea of the threshold for a safe mesh size?
Is that about activated charcoal or charcoal in general?!

T

tca300

Hah really? how high have you gone? and what have you noticed from it? do you use coffee only as caffeine or caffeine pills as well? what about sleep etc etc
Only coffee, ive used both and coffee is way better, with added benefits. ~900mg is the highest I have gone. Messes up my head mentally.

theLaw

Only coffee, ive used both and coffee is way better, with added benefits. ~900mg is the highest I have gone. Messes up my head mentally.

I did 1.2G of caffeine powder in 12hrs, and I would describe the feeling as "Dread"............not fun.

theLaw

I think half a millimeter would be safe. It has to be stored in a sealed container to prevent absorption of vapors.

Found this online from a chem site:

"Granular means particles a few mm big, typically, whereas powder means particle sizes of tens to hundreds microns."

1/2mm = 500 microns

Looks like powder will almost always be too small, so that just leaves granular. I tried to blend it in a Blendtech, but couldn't control the size beyond just grinding it into powder.

You can blend granular and then rinse away the powder

meatbag

Thanks, do you get any effects from it? How does it compare to powdered charcoal?

I've never used powdered. I always feel better after using it and it does seem to do something in the digestive system

meatbag

Me: I was wondering what your opinion of DMSO was? Thank you!

RP: I think it’s safe for occasional use in small amounts; in the early ‘70s I was interested in it, but I gradually decided that there wasn’t enough known about its metabolism to be sure of its long range safety. People at the Livermore lab suggested some possibly toxic metabolites (in connection with the Gloria Ramirez case), that might depend on a person’s unique redox situation.

Wow that's scary, I used so much of that stuff :arghh:. It's weird but if you read through the wiki on that it sounds like it may not have been dmso

Death of Gloria Ramirez - Wikipedia

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals