Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thread

tara

Disclaimer -
Ray Peat regularly answers to e-mails from people all around the world. Danny Roddy categorized several of these responses in 2012 -- with Ray’s permission. We have added onto this collection with emails submitted to the "Ray Peat Forum Email Depository".

It's difficult to know whether or not a submission is really a response from Ray, so you might want to keep an open mind while reading this page.
Nice.

DaveFoster

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: blackstrap molasses

:hattip rosenfeltc

Regarding blackstrap molasses

Source of quote
Extremely rich in minerals is right, and delicious.

It also supplies manganese, which is hard to get if you don't eat mussels, or a lot of potatoes/grapes.

He talks about the syrups here:

Last edited:

Mufasa

[ moderator edit: reply to this post. ]

Could maybe explain why Ray Peat seems low in typical masculine energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Since reading about the chemicals in mushrooms I stopped eating them, but using them occasionally is o.k., probably better than many vegetables.
I am updating the email wiki, and I don't know what to do with the sentence above. Since Peat has changed his opinion on mushrooms in the meantime, I am thinking of (a) adding a comment or (b) deleting this entry. I would prefer (a).

I remember Peat saying something along the lines, that he lost interest in mushrooms when he read that all of them contain hepatotoxic substances, but that he read years later that those are destroyed by heat. - Unfortunately I do not remember where I got that from. Did he say that in an interview? (I do not have the mushrooms newsletter. )

Suggestions? Help?

@schultz

schultz

I am updating the email wiki, and I don't know what to do with the sentence above. Since Peat has changed his opinion on mushrooms in the meantime, I am thinking of (a) adding a comment or (b) deleting this entry. I would prefer (a).

I remember Peat saying something along the lines, that he lost interest in mushrooms when he read that all of them contain hepatotoxic substances, but that he read years later that those are destroyed by heat. - Unfortunately I do not remember where I got that from. Did he say that in an interview? (I do not have the mushrooms newsletter. )

Suggestions? Help?

@schultz

I agree with you in that we should keep this quote and update it with a newer quote explaining the change. In the newsletter on mushrooms he explains why he used to avoid him and why he has changed his opinion. It has to do with a chemical in the mushrooms (hydrazine I think, which is associated with tumors) that is present in raw mushrooms but broken down by heat.

Ray and Danny talk about mushrooms in this podcast near the end...

Generative Energy #19: Talking with Ray Peat

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have the newsletter and will send you the paragraph

M

marikay

Q: "My girlfriend alternates armour with synthroid, she says some neuropathy and body pains are better on the synthroid, she's had low cholesterol (I think 148 last time) and craves starch and carbs. I'm guessing her cholesterol is still low and the t3 is using it up, resulting in a decrease in cortisone, if synthroid seems better than armour sometimes, would this explain why? Thx"

Ray: "T4 suppresses the pro-inflammatory TSH, without activating the metabolism, so probably spares the cholesterol and other antiinflammatory things. Does she eat enough sugar? Starches and irritating, bacteria-supporting foods increase inflammation and probably interfere with cholesterol synthesis. Custards, sweet fruits, and Haagen Dazs ice cream are safe ways to increase cholesterol."

Now we have a freezer full of Haagen Dazs and a refrigerator full of mexican flan. My girlfriend says: "I like Ray".

+1

raypeatclips

Suggestions? Help?

I have seen that quote before and remember seeing it written, long before I started doing the audio interview clips, so (he could have said it as well) It was written somewhere, perhaps an email to Peatarian, the user that used to post here? I personally don't think you should delete the entry, but add a note to it, show an evolution of thought.

raypeatclips

Could you make a clip I could link to? It starts at around the 50 minutes mark.
Generative Energy #19: Talking with Ray Peat

I am not sure, I will have to ask Danny Roddy if it okay, the interview is already on his Youtube and I wouldn't want to take any traffic away from him. In the mean time I have a couple of clips on mushrooms on the channel where he seems quite positive about them, if you wanted to provide somewhere where he doesn't talk about negatives?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I am posting this here as some kind of marker... :mail

The Email Wiki is up to date!

To sort the posts in the Comment/Discussion thread a bit, I have created new threads and moved posts. I also moved a few of those threads to sub-forums where they fit. The threads start all with the title "RP Email Advice Comment:", and they are tagged with "ray peat email advice." I have added links here and in the wiki. So one way or another, you will find the discussions.
Great work @ Giraffe, it's much appreciated!:claporange:grouphug
Thanks a million.

Makrosky

I asked about the safety of androsterone.

He said:
"I think much more animal research would have to be done to be confident of its safety."
Funny... this is what he told me when I asked him the same question :
I think it would be safe enough to try in treating cancer or brain degenerative diseases

raypeatclips

Funny... this is what he told me when I asked him the same question

I don't think those responses are contradictory. From his response it seems like he considers androsterone use when suffering from bad things, and thinks it safer than things like chemo etc. For regular use for people just wanting a boost of metabolism, "more animal research needs to be done to be confident of its safety."

Makrosky

I don't think those responses are contradictory. From his response it seems like he considers androsterone use when suffering from bad things, and thinks it safer than things like chemo etc. For regular use for people just wanting a boost of metabolism, "more animal research needs to be done to be confident of its safety."
Yeah that's one way to see it. Another way could be "if it is safe even for delicate cases like those, it should be also safe for normal use".

haidut

Forum Supporter
Q: "I want to ask you about a quote from Haidut. I remember you saying that impurities in pregnenolone are responsible for many bad reactions, but I've come to be suspicious when compounds are said to have mixed good/bad effects (like estrogen). Thanks for your time Ray, hope you have a good thanksgiving.

"In higher doses, pregnenolone not only saturates the enzymes but also seems to inhibit 3b-HSD, which is crucial for the synthesis of testosterone. Also, in lower doses pregnenolone seems to act as an agonist on the androgen receptor. Higher doses lead to mostly conversion into progesterone and as such an anti-androgenic effect. So, I found what doses in humans would provide enough pregnenolone for the beneficial effects to be observed without triggering the negative ones. While I can't divulge what that upper limit is to avoid getting copied by competitors :) I can tell you that 5mg pregnenolone per dose WHEN combined with DHEA has these beneficial effects without the negatives." -haidut"

Ray: "When I was buying pregnenolone from the Syntex factory in Mexico, 1984-5, to test its safety I ate a kilogram of it during a year, 3000 to 4000 milligrams per day. I didn’t detect any side effects at all, except that my skin, that had been sagging over my eyes and on my neck, firmed up. I know a man in his sixties who is taking a teaspoonful every day, without any bad effects."

Here is something to consider in regards to the high dose pregnenolone. I got a lot of hate mail for "making stuff up" about the high dose pregnenolone. But I did not make it up, it was based on the study below.
Optimal Dose Of Pregnenolone For Androgen Synthesis

L

lollipop

I got a lot of hate mail for "making stuff up" about the high dose pregnenolone.
WoW. Sad. Thanks for being you @haidut and working tirelessly to explore, experiment, and expand out the discussion. Some of us appreciate it.

tara

A few years ago I decided to go back to oil with turpentine, and learned that the pine turpentine industry has disappeared—the familiar green and white cans of “pure gum spirits of turpentine” now contained a gasoline-like petroleum distillate. If pure turpentine was available, that, with oils, would be my preferred medium."

Cue for @thebigpeatowski or one of you other turps drinkers to let Peat know about your sources? :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals