Question On Thyroid NOT Working And Vitamin A Or Infection

firebreather

Listening to Haidut the other day on one of Danny Roddy's podcast he said if thyroid meds are not raising pulse and temp it's either because of Vitamin A deficiency or an infection.

I've tried taking more than enough T3 and my temps and pulse barely move but if I take to much I do get cold feet which I'm pretty sure is pointing to an adrenaline response.

My question is does it seem right that if i have a Vitamin A deficiency or infection that's is keeping the T3 from affecting my thyroid but I could still have an adrenaline response from it?

Also if one of these things is keeping the T3 from bringing up pulse and temps would it affect my T3 and Free T3 blood results?

I don't have the answer to your questions, but my purely anecdotal story is that there was a time when I could take an entire T3 pill and it would barely affect me at all. I had a gut infection at the time and so most likely terrible absorption issues on top of everything else...and yes, icy cold feet.

Now I take a crumb of T3 on occasion (not daily, only when I need it) and I can literally feel it within minutes. I use it after times when I've done too much physical work and my hands/feet have gone cold......if salty OJ doesn't warm them then a crumb of Cynomel surely will.

I happen to need more vitamin A than most too.

OP
F

firebreather

I don't have the answer to your questions, but my purely anecdotal story is that there was a time when I could take an entire T3 pill and it would barely affect me at all. I had a gut infection at the time and so most likely terrible absorption issues on top of everything else...and yes, icy cold feet.

Now I take a crumb of T3 on occasion (not daily, only when I need it) and I can literally feel it within minutes. I use it after times when I've done too much physical work and my hands/feet have gone cold......if salty OJ doesn't warm them then a crumb of Cynomel surely will.

I happen to need more vitamin A than most too.

Thanks so much for your history.

How did you find out you had a gut infection and what did you do to fix it?

I really have any gut issues however I have had a coated tongue for about 3 years

However I definitely seem to have absorption issues, I usually have to take a lot of something to feel it

Last edited:
I had obvious gut issues (chronic diarrhea) diagnosed with IBS. I used a variety of herbal antimicrobials.

Lots of people on this forum talk about having a coated tongue....I'm not entirely sure if the tongue coating is good, bad or normal. If it's due to yeast that would be bad, I suppose.

Did your tongue issue suddenly show up after a round of anti-biotics? Or some major life stressor?

OP
F

firebreather

I had obvious gut issues (chronic diarrhea) diagnosed with IBS. I used a variety of herbal antimicrobials.

Lots of people on this forum talk about having a coated tongue....I'm not entirely sure if the tongue coating is good, bad or normal. If it's due to yeast that would be bad, I suppose.

Did your tongue issue suddenly show up after a round of anti-biotics? Or some major life stressor?

NO to both of your questions about the coated tongue.

I was under quite a bit of stress at the time with my job as I was getting up to go on calls 3 or 4 times a night when I was at work. I was doing paleo at the time and would go on these massive sugar binges (probably just my metabolism crying out for help). One time after a major sugar binge I noticed the coated tongue.

Then I went low carb to try and combat the coated tongue and things went from bad to worse with sleep and fatigue.

I had the same experience, very little effect. I'm thinking of trying it again though. I'm in better health now, than I was before.

What kind of herbs did you use and how long/ how many doses?

What kind of herbs did you use and how long/ how many doses?

Do you have IBS-D extremecheddar? I tried everything, nothing worked, was told to follow an extreme FODMAPS diet and live on Loperamide. What I ended up doing is not considered "Peat approved" in any way.....what have you tried so far?

PakPik

Hi firebreather,
First of all, may I ask: do you eat well? Getting adequate macro/micronutrients and calories? If this fails in some way it can sure oppose your trying to raise thyroid function.
Also, your issue can point to a chronic inflammatory state. A chronic inflammatory state -which can be brought about, among many things, by chronic infections- can effectively nullify thyroid boosting efforts. Some key cytokines involved in inflammatory processes can directly lower thyroid hormone production or weaken the binding to thyroid receptors or convert T3 to Reverse T3. Reverse T3 is profoundly antithyroid. Please read the following details:

"Inflammation and Oxidative Stress are the Most Common Causes of Low Thyroid Function

Assuming you’ve taken the recommended tests, you’ll see if you have high thyroid antibodies. If you do then this indicates an autoimmune condition and that’s the most likely reason your thyroid hormones are lower....
If you don’t have thyroid antibodies, then the next most likely scenario is inflammation and oxidative stress.

Most people who feel fatigue and also have a lowish level of thyroid hormone think that this is the cause of their fatigue.

However, the likely truth is that low thyroid hormones are not the cause of their problems, but a side effect of a larger issue.
The real cause has to do with chronic inflammation more often than not. IL-6, TNF and other cytokines decrease thyroid hormones. (R, R2, R3)

Therefore, inflammation is causing you to have a sluggish thyroid AND also feel fatigue. Your thyroid isn’t actually the main cause of fatigue itself.

IL-6 also causes an increase in reverse T3 (an inactive form of T3). (R)

IL-1b and Interferon gamma/Th1 dominance also decrease the enzymes needed to make T3 (IL-1b is more significant). (R)

IL-1b can make the thyroid hormones you do have be less effective because it decreases the receptors it binds to. (R)

What this means is your thyroid hormone levels can seem normal, but you’re still not getting energy that you should from a given level of thyroid hormone.

This is possibly why taking thyroid hormones may make some feel a bit better even if their levels are normal – because they require more thyroid hormones to function at the same level as someone who has normal receptors.

Another study found that the reason IL-6 decreased thyroid hormones was because of oxidative stress. (R)
So what we see is that inflammation and oxidative stress are the root causes of thyroid problems, in the absence of antibodies.
People with thyroid antibodies usually have elevated inflammation in general, so it’s likely that these people experience a triple whammy of antibodies, inflammation and oxidative stress.
" The Truth About Why Your Thyroid Hormones Are Low (Low T3 Syndrome) - Selfhacked

OP
F

firebreather

Hi firebreather,
First of all, may I ask: do you eat well? Getting adequate macro/micronutrients and calories? If this fails in some way it can sure oppose your trying to raise thyroid function.
Also, your issue can point to a chronic inflammatory state. A chronic inflammatory state -which can be brought about, among many things, by chronic infections- can effectively nullify thyroid boosting efforts. Some key cytokines involved in inflammatory processes can directly lower thyroid hormone production or weaken the binding to thyroid receptors or convert T3 to Reverse T3. Reverse T3 is profoundly antithyroid. Please read the following details:

"Inflammation and Oxidative Stress are the Most Common Causes of Low Thyroid Function

Assuming you’ve taken the recommended tests, you’ll see if you have high thyroid antibodies. If you do then this indicates an autoimmune condition and that’s the most likely reason your thyroid hormones are lower....
If you don’t have thyroid antibodies, then the next most likely scenario is inflammation and oxidative stress.

Most people who feel fatigue and also have a lowish level of thyroid hormone think that this is the cause of their fatigue.

However, the likely truth is that low thyroid hormones are not the cause of their problems, but a side effect of a larger issue.
The real cause has to do with chronic inflammation more often than not. IL-6, TNF and other cytokines decrease thyroid hormones. (R, R2, R3)

Therefore, inflammation is causing you to have a sluggish thyroid AND also feel fatigue. Your thyroid isn’t actually the main cause of fatigue itself.

IL-6 also causes an increase in reverse T3 (an inactive form of T3). (R)

IL-1b and Interferon gamma/Th1 dominance also decrease the enzymes needed to make T3 (IL-1b is more significant). (R)

IL-1b can make the thyroid hormones you do have be less effective because it decreases the receptors it binds to. (R)

What this means is your thyroid hormone levels can seem normal, but you’re still not getting energy that you should from a given level of thyroid hormone.

This is possibly why taking thyroid hormones may make some feel a bit better even if their levels are normal – because they require more thyroid hormones to function at the same level as someone who has normal receptors.

Another study found that the reason IL-6 decreased thyroid hormones was because of oxidative stress. (R)
So what we see is that inflammation and oxidative stress are the root causes of thyroid problems, in the absence of antibodies.
People with thyroid antibodies usually have elevated inflammation in general, so it’s likely that these people experience a triple whammy of antibodies, inflammation and oxidative stress.
" The Truth About Why Your Thyroid Hormones Are Low (Low T3 Syndrome) - Selfhacked

I will give these articles a read tomorrow, I'm about to go on a road trip today.

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to give me all this information.

But to say quickly I think I do eat enough, at least 2500 calories a day, many days probably more like 3000 cal. I will say that up until 4 months ago I used to have an amazing appetite, but 4 months ago I practically went to nothing. However let me say that I have been dealing with the hormonal and fatigue issues for over 4 years.

I have had antibodies tested many times and they have never always been normal.

I just had my RT3 tested about a month ago and it was actually pretty low. It was less than 5 with the reference range of 9.2 to 24.1

But I definitely live a stressful life with my job and some stressful things at home.

You posted on one of my threads a while ago about inflammation and since then I have been taking glycine, aspirin and niacinimide daily (among other things).

I can believe what you are saying about inflammation being my main problem because even when I have been taking enough thyroid for my levels to be normal I still felt like crap.

Do you have IBS-D extremecheddar? I tried everything, nothing worked, was told to follow an extreme FODMAPS diet and live on Loperamide. What I ended up doing is not considered "Peat approved" in any way.....what have you tried so far?
Ive only tried oil of oregano. It offers good relief but alway temporary.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals