Low TSH, Low Body Temps

Lianda

What is making my temps low, and my TSH and other test show me slightly hyper? But after recently increasing my dose of Armor thyroid to 120 mg because of my low body temps, my heart has been feeling like it's pounding, and it's hard to sleep through the night. BUT, my body temps are still low (after a month at this dose), and that's why I tried to increase from 90 mg to 120. I don't feel well, and I'm going to drop back to 90. I don't feel particularly stressed (I am meditating, and I do exercise). I don't have a big appetite and have to convince myself to eat. Orange juice, even with baking soda is too hard on my system and gives me heartburn.

I have a condition called: IST:" inappropriate sinus tachycardia" where my resting heart rate is 105 without a beta-blocker. So taking my pulse is pretty useless, because the meds bring it down to 75-85 range.

My waking body temperature is between 96.9- 97.6
during the day, it will go up to 98.2

TSH- <.006 LOW uIU/mL 0.450-4.500

T4- 13.3 High ug/dL 4.5- 12.0

T3- 190 High ng/dL 71-180

Reverse T3 results not available yet...

Progesterone is considered "normal" for my age group - can't remember the number...
I'm post menopause - dx'd with Hashimotos - overweight....

Thoughts? What can be creating these results?

Thanks for your input-

tara

I really don't have expertise on dosing thyroid when you are so dependent on it. But with T4 and T3 levels that high, and TSH that low, I'd be surprised if more armour was the solution. But if you have rT3 test results on the way, that would be interesting (not that I remember what the numbers/ratios should be).

Are you supplying adequate nutrition (including calories ~2500, protein ~80-100g, minerals, vitamins?) for all the thyroid hormone to work with? If you haven't run a typical day's diet through cronometer or similar recently, it might be worth doing a couple of times just to check?

I wonder whether it could be an estrogen excess issue? I think one of the effects of estrogen can be to effectively turn down the thermostat. The ratio of progesterone and estrogen is probably more important than the specific blood progesterone number, and Peat also wrote an article about Tissue-bound estrogen in aging (on his site) that says that in some conditions the estrogen hangs out in the tissues and messes with them, but doesn't show up so much in the blood test.
If you haven't experimented with one of the progesterone supplements, it might be worth trying it to see if it makes a difference. (Need adequate nutrition to support this too)

I think someone recently commented that red light helped them deal with tachycardia?

OP
Lianda

Lianda

I really don't have expertise on dosing thyroid when you are so dependent on it. But with T4 and T3 levels that high, and TSH that low, I'd be surprised if more armour was the solution. But if you have rT3 test results on the way, that would be interesting (not that I remember what the numbers/ratios should be).

Yes, it indicates that I'm slightly Hyper....

Are you supplying adequate nutrition (including calories ~2500, protein ~80-100g, minerals, vitamins?) for all the thyroid hormone to work with? If you haven't run a typical day's diet through cronometer or similar recently, it might be worth doing a couple of times just to check?

PLENTY of magnesium.... it might be a little low on calories... (don't know what a chronometer is)

I wonder whether it could be an estrogen excess issue? I think one of the effects of estrogen can be to effectively turn down the thermostat. The ratio of progesterone and estrogen is probably more important than the specific blood progesterone number, and Peat also wrote an article about Tissue-bound estrogen in aging (on his site) that says that in some conditions the estrogen hangs out in the tissues and messes with them, but doesn't show up so much in the blood test.

I suspect I estrogen dominent (big belly)- other than progesterone, is there another way to change that?

If you haven't experimented with one of the progesterone supplements, it might be worth trying it to see if it makes a difference. (Need adequate nutrition to support this too)

I'm using progesterone now- but unfortunately, it makes me break out with pimples on my chin : (

I think someone recently commented that red light helped them deal with tachycardia?

the tachycardia runs in my family- a sinus node that is misfiring- I'm going to talk to a cardiologist about getting it ablated shortly.

Thanks for your input!
(I'm not too knowledgeable about posting reply, so sorry if I've done it incorrectly)

tara

Forgot to say, but you have probably got that if you are reading around here: make that a real progesterone supplement, eg in vit-E as Peat suggests via the gums - highish concentration, quick absorption makes adjusting dose easier, no anti-metabolic junk - eg progest-e (kenogen) or healthnatura's simply progesterone, or maybe Haidut's progestene if you are OK with DMSO.

DKBS

I've had hashimotos for over 10 yrs - also post-meno.
I have tried all types of thyroid - even straight t3
With your blood tests - it looks to me like higher dose of meds isn't what you need. When I took armor, my antibodies and thyroid nodules got worse - I now do better on combination of levothyroxine and cytomel - but I think the reason that is working better now is because of implementing peat principals and trying to lower estrogen. Progesterone is helpful but go slowly because it can make you hyper if you take too much too soon (with thyroid issues) For me, adding selenium helps me tolerate the t4 - it helps liver with t4 to t3 conversion (and possible high reverse t4) also study ways to improve liver function which helps with estrogen removal and t4 conversion
I am still experimenting because I don't tolerate a lot of foods recommended but I think I am gradually doing better as I work at adequate protein, calcium, magnesium (can't do dairy) - limiting/avoiding PUFAs, etc. it seems like food sensitivities are pretty common with hashis
Are you taking estrogen? I was when I discovered peat and that was the first thing to go - which helps with thyroid issues a lot!
My other suggestion is to take thyroid dose in divided doses if you aren't already -- too much at once causes stress response in body
This is just my opinion and what has helped me - I am not as knowledable as many on this forum.

OP
Lianda

Lianda

I've had hashimotos for over 10 yrs - also post-meno.
I have tried all types of thyroid - even straight t3
With your blood tests - it looks to me like higher dose of meds isn't what you need. When I took armor, my antibodies and thyroid nodules got worse - I now do better on combination of levothyroxine and cytomel - but I think the reason that is working better now is because of implementing peat principals and trying to lower estrogen. Progesterone is helpful but go slowly because it can make you hyper if you take too much too soon (with thyroid issues) For me, adding selenium helps me tolerate the t4 - it helps liver with t4 to t3 conversion (and possible high reverse t4) also study ways to improve liver function which helps with estrogen removal and t4 conversion
I am still experimenting because I don't tolerate a lot of foods recommended but I think I am gradually doing better as I work at adequate protein, calcium, magnesium (can't do dairy) - limiting/avoiding PUFAs, etc. it seems like food sensitivities are pretty common with hashis
Are you taking estrogen? I was when I discovered peat and that was the first thing to go - which helps with thyroid issues a lot!
My other suggestion is to take thyroid dose in divided doses if you aren't already -- too much at once causes stress response in body
This is just my opinion and what has helped me - I am not as knowledable as many on this forum.

Thanks so much for your reply. For a long time my doctors had convinced me to take bio-identical estrogen- telling me it was safe because it wasn't synthetic. But after reading on this site, and Danny Roddy, I stopped taking it. I have restarted progesterone- although even a small dose makes me break out on my chin.

I've cut back down to the 90 mg (cut out the extra 30 mg) of Armour Thyroid, and I know that it will take a while for my pounding heart to calm down.

My new doctor is very open - and I've been telling him I've been reading about estrogen being no good- He's written an article about why bio-identical is ok. (lots of references) I'm so confused with all of the conflicting information that I don't know what to do! You have to become your own doctor, essentially and decide for yourself. I attached his article- and would love to hear opinions about it.

I'm going to continue with the progesterone, but slowly. I never had pimples as a teenager and I don't want them as a senior citizen! LOL

Attachments

• Real vs Synthetic Estrogen, Prog.docx
    25.6 KB · Views: 19