Progesterone for recovering addict

Angela_7

I’ve heard Ray said he gave progesterone to a friend that was(is?) an alcoholic. After his friend took it they no longer wanted to drink? Why is that? Could I give progesterone to a friend that was just using heavy drugs last week? I have a couple extra bottles...

opethfeldt

Progesterone increases dopamine and increases GABA. This is basically what alcohol does. It makes for a great replacement for most. Just don't drink and prog cause I've heard it causes massive weight gain. Never tried it to confirm though. Also of note is that pregnenolone can also be useful in treating addictions.

LUH 3417

Progesterone increases dopamine and increases GABA. This is basically what alcohol does. It makes for a great replacement for most. Just don't drink and prog cause I've heard it causes massive weight gain. Never tried it to confirm though. Also of note is that pregnenolone can also be useful in treating addictions.
Where did you hear progesterone and drinking causes massive weight gain? And are we talking like a beer or wine here and there or becoming a full blown alcoholic while taking progesterone?

opethfeldt

Where did you hear progesterone and drinking causes massive weight gain? And are we talking like a beer or wine here and there or becoming a full blown alcoholic while taking progesterone?
Read it here. It was a long time ago. I forget who posted it. I tend to remember random things like that haha. I don't mean to scare anyone. I just thought it was worth bringing up in case someone was going to use them concurrently to try to taper off and ended up gaining a bunch of fat.

LUH 3417

Read it here. It was a long time ago. I forget who posted it. I tend to remember random things like that haha. I don't mean to scare anyone. I just thought it was worth bringing up in case someone was going to use them concurrently to try to taper off and ended up gaining a bunch of fat.
It’s interesting. I take progesterone and have issues with water retention 2nd half of my cycle. I drank a lot more this month and put on more water weight. I hardly ever drink, but I drank like 7 days out of this month so I’m curious about the connection.

opethfeldt

It’s interesting. I take progesterone and have issues with water retention 2nd half of my cycle. I drank a lot more this month and put on more water weight. I hardly ever drink, but I drank like 7 days out of this month so I’m curious about the connection.
Well, just a theory but progesterone tends to liberate estrogen from the cells and alcohol impairs the liver, which is responsible for clearing that estrogen. Estrogen tends to cause fat gain and water retention.

I would not just have anyone of either gender take progesterone willy nilly. Progest E overload caused me to gain 20 lbs and gave me fibroids sooooo....... Once I got off of it , my life got way better.

I’ve heard Ray said he gave progesterone to a friend that was(is?) an alcoholic. After his friend took it they no longer wanted to drink? Why is that? Could I give progesterone to a friend that was just using heavy drugs last week? I have a couple extra bottles...

Ah this one!

"I knew someone who had been addicted to morphine and alcohol for 30 years, who was drinking quarts of beer and wine daily when he didn't have morphine, who had an opportunity for a good job if he could get sober. Starting progesterone at bedtime (and stopping the wine), he said it was the first time he didn't have a hangover in the morning. He used enough progesterone to neuter most people, but said it didn't affect his sex function; he was taking a lot of Cytomel and magnesium, but wasn't drunk again as long as I knew him, and his general health improved." -Ray Peat

"The person I described who recovered so completely took about 1000 mg of progesterone during the first night, and more than 1000 mg daily for a few weeks, but that much could make some people comatose; it's a matter of individual hormone status. I think the SSRI drugs continue to do harm, even when they reduce withdrawal symptoms." -Ray Peat

I know this is old, but wow! My situation is different, but I am hoping to use high dose progesterone to heal my brain as well (damaged from a doctor prescribing a benzo for insomnia, dumb me for taking it, stopped cold turkey on medical advice, true horror ensued).

I do not appear to absorb it well (my basal body temp rises when I get it right - I am already on cytomel years with good results and can never take T4 for some reason).

I am going to attempt to reach this level for a few weeks using some fatty foods like peanut butter cups to absorb it. Fingers crossed I get some brain healing.

I know this is old, but wow! My situation is different, but I am hoping to use high dose progesterone to heal my brain as well (damaged from a doctor prescribing a benzo for insomnia, dumb me for taking it, stopped cold turkey on medical advice, true horror ensued).

I do not appear to absorb it well (my basal body temp rises when I get it right - I am already on cytomel years with good results and can never take T4 for some reason).

I am going to attempt to reach this level for a few weeks using some fatty foods like peanut butter cups to absorb it. Fingers crossed I get some brain healing.

Be sure you are using a "Peat" approved progesterone like Progest-E or Idealabs. Read through my Progest-E thread too. Post your results here, it will be interesting to see how things go. ?

Be sure you are using a "Peat" approved progesterone like Progest-E or Idealabs. Read through my Progest-E thread too. Post your results here, it will be interesting to see how things go. ?

Thanks! I have 4 bottles of Health Natura Progesterone. Will report back in a bit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals