Progesterone, No Appetite, Nausea, Hypoglycemia

Darleen

Hello everyone I’m having some trouble figuring out what’s going on. For some background I have a history of low progesterone (I needed it to maintain pregnancy and treat hyperemesis gravidarum) I have bad anxiety, high adrenaline, a few years of ketogenic diet and more recently erosive gastritis. Digestive issues got better this year after healing my lining and working on lowering stress(but most of my stress is my poor health) So now these past 2 months, I am on bio identical progesterone by mouth 100mg day 7-14 of cycle and 200mg 15-(end of cycle) I have irregular cycles however so this has been hard to maintain. This past week It began where I would take my 100mg progesterone and get really badly dizzy and then extremely sleepy/ eyes heavy. So I took that dose and split it up and was better for a day or 2 then I started getting bad nausea After not having progesterone around the 10-12 hour mark. Feels like hypoglycemia nausea(very severe) and it is relieved by eating but takes a long time. I’ve been told I have cyclical vomiting syndrome. I’m not sure why I’m reacting to this progesterone all of a sudden yet lowering dose seems to exacerbate the nausea. Im inclined to think adrenaline, insulin estrogen is involved (I had estrogen dominance symptoms) I’ve had pretty bad hormonal digestive issues since the gastritis. Possibly even endometriosis. I believe I got gastritis after a sever bout of stress. My dad had been diagnosed with cancer. Anyways I hope I’m explaining well as I’m having an episode now of severe nausea, dizziness, heavy sleepiness and diarrhea. I believe I have a gut overgrowth and is why I have the hormonal imbalance. (Also stress from my previous ways of keto and fasting and emotional stress in addition) I began ray peat about 3 months ago. Again I apologize if I’m all over the place, and thank you for any insights.

Recoen

Progest e comes with a recommendation to take higher amounts at first due to estrogen issues.

Have you measured your blood sugar during these issues? It almost sounds like your blood sugar is going high. Lows feel more like your brain is starving, word finding issues, sweat and shakes, and a “I must eat right away” feeling. It could for sure be swinging too - reactive hypoglycemia. Babe you noticed if it happens with a specific food?

OP
D

Darleen

It could be that it’s going high at some point. Dr Michael platt has always advertised his progesterone with saying that it blocks insulin. I’ve always been wondering about that as he thinks that’s a good thing. And he was the one suggested a long time ago that I had cyclical vomiting syndrome. At the time I was using transdermal progesterone cream 1-3 mins before a meal and developed severe nausea and he suggested to use it after a meals not before.
So I have checked my blood sugar at approximately 2 hour post prandial a couple times when the severe nausea began once it was 87 and more recently 95. I only usually experience this feeling when I wasn’t eating when I had gastritis and became afraid of food.
Haven’t noticed it’s with any correlation to certain foods, and I created a food log about a year ago due to gastritis and food intolerance. i do however get reflux From dark chocolate.
I was thinking that it may be insulin resistance from high progesterone? Or maybe I’m making cortisol from the progesterone. Or as if my liver became intolerant to the progesterone (taken by mouth) as yesterday and today thus far, I found some relief from nausea with The transdermal cream (after meals like dr. platt suggested) and eating. If I stop the progesterone the nausea is severe even if I eat.
I’ve been thinking of getting a continuous glucose monitor to see what my blood sugar does. I also have much difficulty sleeping. Which the progesterone initially helped tremendously with. Thanks so much for your time and thoughts

Mad

Hello everyone I’m having some trouble figuring out what’s going on. For some background I have a history of low progesterone (I needed it to maintain pregnancy and treat hyperemesis gravidarum) I have bad anxiety, high adrenaline, a few years of ketogenic diet and more recently erosive gastritis. Digestive issues got better this year after healing my lining and working on lowering stress(but most of my stress is my poor health) So now these past 2 months, I am on bio identical progesterone by mouth 100mg day 7-14 of cycle and 200mg 15-(end of cycle) I have irregular cycles however so this has been hard to maintain. This past week It began where I would take my 100mg progesterone and get really badly dizzy and then extremely sleepy/ eyes heavy. So I took that dose and split it up and was better for a day or 2 then I started getting bad nausea After not having progesterone around the 10-12 hour mark. Feels like hypoglycemia nausea(very severe) and it is relieved by eating but takes a long time. I’ve been told I have cyclical vomiting syndrome. I’m not sure why I’m reacting to this progesterone all of a sudden yet lowering dose seems to exacerbate the nausea. Im inclined to think adrenaline, insulin estrogen is involved (I had estrogen dominance symptoms) I’ve had pretty bad hormonal digestive issues since the gastritis. Possibly even endometriosis. I believe I got gastritis after a sever bout of stress. My dad had been diagnosed with cancer. Anyways I hope I’m explaining well as I’m having an episode now of severe nausea, dizziness, heavy sleepiness and diarrhea. I believe I have a gut overgrowth and is why I have the hormonal imbalance. (Also stress from my previous ways of keto and fasting and emotional stress in addition) I began ray peat about 3 months ago. Again I apologize if I’m all over the place, and thank you for any insights.
Can you describe to me how quickly the progesterone helped your hyperemesis and do you remember what dosages you were taking of progesterone? I’m in a similar boat but had never heard my low progesterone could cause the hyperemesis.