Estrogen promotes, progesterone inhibits drug (cocaine) abuse

haidut

Forum Supporter
An interesting study, which not only exposes yet another negative side of estrogen but also demonstrates the opposing actions estrogen and progesterone have on the brain. The former is excitatory (by activating the glutamate system and inhibiting the GABA system) while the latter does the exact opposite (acts as a glutamate antagonist and GABA agonist). These results also demonstrate, once again, that the very mainstream idea of "addiction" is wrong and what we call "addiction" is simply a state of brain hyperexcitability, which the "addicts" desperately try to self-medicate. While the article does not mention it, cortisol is another steroid known to put the brain in a hyper-excited state, which confirms once again the role of acute/chronic stress in engendering and promoting "addiction", as well as the role of estrogen as a true stress hormone. A recent CNN front page article stated that drug/alcohol abuse skyrocketed during the lockdowns associated with COVID-19, and almost admitted that the severe stress (known to raise both cortisol and estrogen, as well as serotonin) associated with this involuntary confinement was the cause of the increased substance abuse rates. Moreover, the study below raises concerns about the likely causal link between widespread use of estrogenic birth control methods, SERM drugs, osteoporosis drugs (often estrogenic), cancer treatments (e.g. estrogen is approved for "treating" prostate cancer), etc and the rates of substance abuse, especially of drugs like cocaine. In summary, chronic substance abuse is no mystery and its drivers are entirely environmental, manifested through the stress system (cortisol, estrogen, serotonin), and as such there are many widely available and cheap/safe treatments. But don't hold your breath for CDC/FDA to tell you any time soon about neither the true causes of "addiction" nor the truly effective treatments.

Redirecting
Reviewing past studies exploring the effects of steroids on cocaine-use behaviors

"...Based on the findings they reviewed, the researchers concluded that estrogen might facilitate the transmission of...glutamate. This means that the higher vulnerability to cocaine use disorder observed in women could ultimately be linked to differences in hormone, specifically estrogen, production. Murray, Peart and their colleagues also wanted to examine the potential of progesterone as a therapeutic agent to reduce cocaine cravings. In fact, past studies with humans have found that administering progesterone can reduce cocaine cravings and reward-seeking behaviors. "Administering progesterone has also been shown to decrease cocaine seeking elicited by stress, cocaine cues, or cocaine itself in male and female rats using a model of relapse," Peart and Murray explained. "Indeed, administering progesterone or its metabolite allopregnanolone...may be an option for treatment of cocaine use disorder in humans trying to maintain abstinence from cocaine use to prevent relapse." Overall, the recent review paper by this team of researchers suggests that researchers and physicians should pay greater attention to the relationship between cocaine use disorder and estrogenic medications, such as some birth control pills, breast cancer treatments, and bone health medications, among others."

Xemnoraq

I know smoking and heavy drugs are two entirely different things but years ago i decided to give smoking a try to see what all the aromatase inhibiting effects of tobacco was about, when i quit i felt like i was going to have a seizure and felt extremely irritable, aware of the situation i purchased some progesterone and occasional androsterone and those things really saved my ****, i would even argue they saved my life? its true about progesterone and other steroids, so many addictions could be mediated if it was just aknowledged and kept down to the simple fact that elevated cortisol and estrogen drive the addiction process, hence anti cortisol etc methods should be a no brainer... At least you would think, the msm cant seem to catch on

I'm.No.One

when i quit i felt like i was going to have a seizure and felt extremely irritable, aware of the situation i purchased some progesterone and occasional androsterone and those things really saved my ****, i would even argue they saved my life?
I smoked for about 8 years & one day just decided to quit. Had zero cravings/illness etc, I always thought I just didn't have an addictive personality but now I think my 20 year old self didn't have high estrogen.

Crazy to consider that.

Xemnoraq

I smoked for about 8 years & one day just decided to quit. Had zero cravings/illness etc, I always thought I just didn't have an addictive personality but now I think my 20 year old self didn't have high estrogen.

Crazy to consider that.
interesting, my symptoms of quitting were very much of high estrogen, in fact that seems to be the consensus for most people, hence the weight gain after smoking and people saying they never felt the same, what made you want to quit?

I'm.No.One

interesting, my symptoms of quitting were very much of high estrogen, in fact that seems to be the consensus for most people, hence the weight gain after smoking and people saying they never felt the same, what made you want to quit?
I remember I was just sitting smoking a cigarette on my sister's front porch looking at a cherry tree in bloom & thought to my self "this is gross" because all I could smell was the smoke versus the air in spring.

I put it out & never smoked again.

Tash

Really grateful for this vein of research; married to an addict and it's extremely hard on the soul.
Have tried clonidine, progesterone, cypro, various idealab products and estrogen lowering foods. Interestingly, cypro before bed absolutely knocks him out into deep long sleep I mean totally changes his energy the next day. No restless leg syndrome too. Impressive effect but the only protocol that seems to do something...
If anyone has any other helpful suggestions to advise a struggling wife, will lap it up. Grateful to @haidut for shedding light on the subject.
Tx

I'm.No.One

Really grateful for this vein of research; married to an addict and it's extremely hard on the soul.
Have tried clonidine, progesterone, cypro, various idealab products and estrogen lowering foods. Interestingly, cypro before bed absolutely knocks him out into deep long sleep I mean totally changes his energy the next day. No restless leg syndrome too. Impressive effect but the only protocol that seems to do something...
If anyone has any other helpful suggestions to advise a struggling wife, will lap it up. Grateful to @haidut for shedding light on the subject.
Tx
If the cypro hits him that hard his serotonin/cortisol is probably pretty high, might be worth looking into lowering his serotonin.

Xemnoraq

I remember I was just sitting smoking a cigarette on my sister's front porch looking at a cherry tree in bloom & thought to my self "this is gross" because all I could smell was the smoke versus the air in spring.

I put it out & never smoked again.
like you felt gross. physically and mentally? or the habit felt gross like the nature of it? i just remember feeling gross myself like physically i felt dirty and chemical ridden not clear ya know, just curious

I'm.No.One

like you felt gross. physically and mentally? or the habit felt gross like the nature of it? i just remember feeling gross myself like physically i felt dirty and chemical ridden not clear ya know, just curious
Both for sure. Just like I was in this toxic cloud that was blocking me from experiencing the world around me. Like you know all of the air smelled like morning dew & cherry tree blooms, but there i was in a gray little cloud of toxic smoke.

I will say I didn't realize how off they made me feel while smoking until a few months after quitting when I could function a million times better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals