Progesterone for men and the art of gaining weight

OP
One-trick Tony
Well it will be interesting
I only took both for about 3 months as I was going through a very challenging time and was extremely stressed and not sleeping well, so the cortisol lowering effect of both was a blessing and helped me to sleep a lot better.

I gained all the weight over the three months and I stopped using the cypro in February as it was obvious that I was eating a lot more on it. I stopped taking progesterone a few weeks ago after using it intermittently and realising that my weight seems to increase after taking it even if I don't eat more.
Sounds similar to me then in some ways, we'll keep in touch and first one to start to see some weight loss can holler and instill some hope in the other. ;)

OP
One-trick Tony
lol
I didnt ask how you've not changed your diet, I asked what-it-is. then you come with a whole story :P
Well at first it was a one-liner, but... I thought it made me come off as a **** so hence the added fluff. :p
So you have migraines, but you take cream of progesterone, that is unfortunate b/c that is not well absorbed. Prog is known to, in the brain convert to allopregn and stimulate GABA-A, this in turn can decrease serotonin which in theory can decrease migraines. So I suggest taking a proper solution of PROG with DHEA and see what happens for your headaches.
Yeah I've heard about the questionable uptake of it so who knows what the actual dose was that I absorbed? But I did feel it though. I was going to try and order some Progest-E but held off since I started to notice the weight gain quite early, and my wife was not very interested to try some herself. At the moment I can't say I feel very inclined to try any form of progesterone again, but maybe some day down the road when the dust has settled. I hear you though and appreciate the advice. :)
Seems to me your effort with penicillin that made your stomach issues worse might have more to do with your weight gain than the hormones, increasing serotonin and other stress hormones.
And you indicated methylene blue and aspirin helps, these increase metabolism and are anti-serotonin and anti-estrogen.
So I think addressing serotonin and estrogen in particular could help. With biotin thiamine niacinamide vitamin E in olive oil.
Yeah the intestines and liver needs to be addressed for sure and they could at least in part be responsible for the weight gain. But I agree that I think they are the main suspects when it comes to the migraines, depressive tendencies and low energy. I continue to explore ways to make it better. I think the hormones, perhaps even the thyroid in my case, are but band aids at best. I've tried the others but not biotin except for as part of a B-complex so quite low dose I guess.

OP
One-trick Tony
It seems most people on here pack on weight. And I bet its to do with the supplements. Anything metabolically enhancing is going to mess with the fine balance of the body. Its a viscous cycle. Take the metabolically enhancing supplement, get more hungry (to feed the increased body energy requirements), eat more (but easily overshoot it) over a prolonged period of time and and, before you know it, you've put on quite a considerable amount of weight.

I'm in the same boat to a lot of others on here. Started a RP lifestyle in 2013 at just over 80kgs, and currently at 101kgs in 2022. The weight has all gone to the belly. It's definitely not water weight.

So the recommendations on this thread to drop all of the metabolically enhancing supplements (thumbs up), and to then..... replace them with other metabolically enhancing supplements (oh), is not something I would personally recommend. I'm not dissing the supplements. I take them myself for various reasons. But I also hold them accountable for helping me to put on a considerable amount of weight.

I would even consider coffee to be similar in this regard (a metabolically enhancing supplement). It doesn't lower appetite in my case. And sugar (which can also be considered a metabolically enhancing supplement) is a huge appetite increaser.

I plan on doing something about my belly in the near future. Which will include incorporating various things.
Yes I must admit I have gained a new level of awe and respect for my body and God's/nature's amazing wisdom and balance. Wish I could say I'd gained a bigger hunger but that is a "problem" of many years, that I don't really get hungry much, but that's back to my problems with the stomach (acid - lack of?) and liver I think. But I hear you and... Well it's never too late to say we were "wrong", been there many times myself of course. :D
Yes I've thrown away those fecking supplement bottles and herbs and God knows what else I've been taking over the years, more than once. I kind of feel like I'm getting to that the point again...! :p:
You would sense when the metabolism is getting too ramped up, you will get skin outbreaks.
So then you need more vitamin A sources and support thyroid function.
This can happen easily with steroid hormones suppl, if so minimize the use but using it has the advantage of needing less thyroid.
It is easy to get too much calories when shifting to sugar burning, so then when getting fat meaning that your optimal metabolism is further away than you thought.
Dr Peat said calcium and vitamin D needs to be good as well while reducing the stress hormones to prevent overtaking the HPT axis.
Well in my case I started to have outbreaks on my chest during the autumn, acne and eczema. I've sort of always had a little acne every now and then but now it's just more. I've eaten my fair share of liver during this time, as well as milk products, but the vitamin D3 I actually put away earlier this winter. Eaten it more or less during the no sun on my skin-phase of the year for many years. I remember when it started to get pushed in the "alternative media" many years ago, and now it's just mainstream. So I don't know... Which is probably the wisest thing I can say, once again. Appreciate all you good people's input though, I'm sure some seeds have been planted in me, so... Time will tell. Uhm, I will just try to stop writing now! :p:

PeskyPeater

band aids? hormones are not band-aids they are basics and support energy and the healing of structure, thus contribute to defeating the root cause.

OP
One-trick Tony
Yes I agree of course but I meant that in my case without getting to the root cause(s) they didn't really move me much closer to achieving health. Strong allies to have on your team for sure but I also think they need a lot of knowledge from the user, or just luck. Both of which I lacked I would say, so... Just be careful out there people.
Again, appreciate your kind and knowledgeable help. :)

So I'll continue my break from these hormones, except for a small dose of thyroid just for fat's sake, and try to focus more on the digestion, including the liver. Will be back with more on this later...

OP
One-trick Tony
Well I checked the label this morning and yes, it does say "Wild yam extract" and hence diosgenin I guess. Maybe it's on there because they weren't able to convert it all to "progesterone USP"? I've checked the forum and even though some seem to think it might be good for DHT and what not, I'd rather go without it for sure. Also found these quotes:
"In _From PMS to Menopause_, on the very last page, Ray Peat writes that 'Diosgenin, sometimes called wild yam extract, is toxic.' "
"Diosgenin is the precursor for the semisynthesis of progesterone which in turn was used in early combined oral contraceptive pills. The unmodified steroid has estrogenic activity..."
I did use another gel in the beginning, I'll have to check the ingredients of that one too, but certainly I would use only Progest-E if there is to be another attempt with progesterone in the future.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Neeters 27

Hello there all you good people on this forum! :)

I've been lurking for perhaps two years or more and finally managed to sign up this winter, and this will be my first post. It's been long in the making but finally I caved in since I don't really know what to do about my situation.

In short I'm a man in my mid 40’s from Sweden. For those with better memory than me who listens to Ray Peat interviews with Patrick Timpone, I’ve sent in a question or two over the years. Then like now my main concern has been my ever increasing migraines.

I’ve been on thyroid for over two years in various doses but besides bringing my temps up and getting the warmth back in my extremities, no small feat I guess, it hasn’t really done anything else. I’ve always been skinny and could eat anything without my weight even blinking. I added some DHEA and pregnenolone and it also didn’t do much, although the DHEA helped my libido that had been tanking after 40 or so, but at least my weight and migraines were the same. This was early last year.

Enter this summer and me getting my hands on some Progesterone cream (Source Naturals). Finally I felt I’d found something that helped at least a little with my migraines - less and not as strong and I was thrilled! In the end of August I took a course of penicillin after a summer cold that never seemed to want to give up (I supposedly had “Covid” in December of 2020 and life somehow hasn’t been the same, at least my immune system), and this really wrecked my stomach which hasn’t really recovered fully yet despite all the probiotics, home made kefir or whatever I’ve thrown at it, as well as strong essential oils like oregano on the other side to try to kill of something nasty. Before this I had also started to sleep quite bad and for this reason started low dose Mirtazapine which will knock out most people with it’s antihistamine effect. I had to stop it though in November since I got some strange joint pains which I’ve never felt before (yes it wasn’t the first time with Mirtazapine).

And at least somewhere there in November at least I had to realize that I was really starting to be quite fat, especially around my belly (but it’s really all over). From always weighing under 70 kg (about 155 lbs) for 20+ years, and wanting to gain weight, I was now like 80+ kg (175 lbs). This would be more normal for a guy about 1.80m tall (5’11”) but since I’m anything but muscular still and it’s all just fat, it’s not funny and has gotten quite unpractical. I never though a big belly could get in the way so much…! And I don’t think it’s water since I don’t see any signs of edema in my feet and ankles (been there at times) and the fat has sort of a cellulite tendency.

So I didn’t know what was the culprit but being afraid to stop the progesterone I continued. After the holidays I had gained a few more kilos and sometime in January I stopped the pregnenolone. 3-4 weeks ago I finally had to try and cut the progesterone, then two weeks after or so I also stopped the DHEA. I have slowly gained another kilo or so after this and am now around 86 kg (190 lbs).

So during all this time I was taking about:

5-10mg progesterone in the evening as a cream, applied to the back of my neck always since that’s where my migraine sort of starts.
10-25mg of pregnenolone orally in the evening.
5-12,5mg of DHEA orally in the morning.

I know this has already gotten way too long, but what the heck should I do at this point? I think it must be the progesterone since everything else has never touched my weight before, including the very few antibiotics I have taken through the years. Could it be enough to just stop all and hope things might balance out with time, or should I perhaps try the approach that at least some women do and take a much higher dose of progesterone (and I would then like to finally try to get me some Progest-E) for a while? As for libido and so on I can’t say it really has become worse during my time with progesterone, maybe even a little better.

If anyone has made it this far I would surely appreciate any input you might have or gladly answer any questions. Sorry to be “another train wreck” on here but if nothing else maybe it could be a cautionary tale or something. It all just became a sort of perfect storm where I didn’t know what was doing what. If I’d been more energetic and alive I would have stopped earlier I guess but there is quite a bit of anhedonia and barely making it through the day energetically, so… Just turning myself into another lab rat I guess. ;)
with what you have written, I suspect you may have SLEEP APNEA, which causes so many problems, hypthyroidism, even when treated with hormones, is linked to sleep apnea. Progesterone at very high doses causes Insulin resistance, you are on a regular dose, but as we age insulin resistance is almost inevitable when our hormones dwindle. high as well as low testosterone increase risk for sleep apnea. Furthermore, Progesterone helps with respiration due to the metabolite allopregnanolone. HOWEVER,,,,Progesterone also causes muscle LAXITY, meaning it makes you "looser", think about pregnancy and females making tons of Progesterone especially last month before birth, where it aids her body to widen and be looser to allow baby out of birth canal.
so in this way, it loosens your tongue and throat muscles and this can cause sleep apnea, along with the weight gain...get a sleep study done . have a full hormone panel done, and request SHBG also. if that is high, it will bind to your testosterone and you can't benefit from what you have.
I know this information because I suffered from this, and my ex husband had high T but high SHBG from sluggish liver. Once he changed diet, exercised, Doctor put him on Testosterone enanthate 1x a week, and within a month hair returned on body, he felt better, lost weight gained muscle, all good things.

OP
One-trick Tony
Hello there Neeters, I'm really sorry for such a late reply. Once again just barely making it through my everyday life so posting here gets postponed...

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply and it was extremely timely and quite spot on. :) Since about at least January I have had the feeling that I'm choking on myself when falling asleep. It's gotten worse and I very often try to fall asleep on my right side to mitigate this (can't on my left due to neck problems). Meeting with a psychologist some days before you posted we focused in on the sleep and I described these problems. So sometime after my doctor is back next week we'll probably prepare to do a sleep study like you suggest. Since Tuesday I have raised the head of my bed about 6" a la "inclined bed therapy". It seems to have helped quite a bit... I think. At least no sudden chokings when being halfway to fall asleep that I remeber. Tried to tape my mouth also this night but I slept very bad, maybe I need my mouth breathing...? :p:
Very interesting that progesterone might be the culprit, and then of course the weight gain. I got my progesterone and total testosterone measured a few weeks ago but was told "they were normal". It's not easy to have some ideas in the Swedish medical system, or even just to get a printout of the numbers from tests. But I'll suggest that SHBG test if it hasn't already been done.
I might have had this sleep apnea tendencies a long time but the past events may have exaggerated it, so... Perhaps something good can come from this. :)

Otherwise I seemed to have somewhat stabilized at around 85 - 86kg but feeling very fat in the middle section.

I did a gastroscopy on Thursday (felt like a few minutes of pure hell) and it seems I have stomach ulcer, and they found Helicobacter pylori also... So now I'm on:
Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day
Amoxicillin 1000mg twice a day
Omeprazol 20mg twice a day
...for one week. Wasn't going to take the Omeprazol (Proton pump inhibitor) but when I read up on it, seems like you need to raise the pH to get at the HP, so... Then they want me to take one 20mg a day until the next gastroscopy in about two months, we'll see about that, I'm hitting it with other things too and have some more on the way. So, guess that's it for now.

Oh and the first night with the antibiotics I had the best sleep for a long time! :) So I'm pretty sure endotoxin is playing a big role too. But then when adding the PPI yesterday I have felt less good and also had very bad sleep this night. But then again my mouth was taped shut. :p:

GgOTi

So when you say you take a dose flirting with the upper limits mentioned, do you mean close to 4,61mg/kg...? That would be upwards of 300mg in my case and perhaps not for the faint of heart?
Sorry for the late response, but yes. I don't always measure it out perfectly, but I shoot for something that would be much closer to this than the lower limit described in the previously mentioned article. It may not be an ideal dose for many, but my experiences have led me to err on the side of possibly too much rather than not enough as when I get migraines they can last several days.

OP
One-trick Tony
Hey no worries, it actually turned out to be quite a timely post since I was coming down with another migraine the morning after. I still haven't come around to measuring just how much I take but I took at least 5 times of what used to be an upper normal dose for me (I've taken a break for a few weeks from MB since I felt I was only getting slightly negative effects from it). At first it felt like it was mitigating it a bit but then I started to feel worse, even in my stomach. Felt a bit like a serotonin effect, so... I don't know, it's worth a try for people for sure. I might try it again when I know just how much I'm taking but my gut feeling is that MB just isn't for me right now. I really liked it at first though but like so many things in my experience I only get a good effect for a while, enough to make me feel quite hopeful, but then it's like my body adapts or something. Which is probably a good thing... ;)

Thanks again though, really appreciate your input and trying to help. :)

OP
One-trick Tony
So finally an update on some of what has happened since last. I have done some tests and here are the most important ones I guess related to the subject of this thread:

Analysis - Normal range - My test

Progesterone: <O,5 nmol/L - <0,2
Prolactin: 86-324 mIU/L - 238
SHBG: 10-80 nmol/L - 62
Total test: 7,6-31 nmol/L - 20
Estradiol: <160 pmol/L - 74
FSH: 1,5-12 IU/L - 4,7
LH: 1,7-8,6 IU/L - 5,7
TSH: 0,27-4,2 mIU/L - 2,1
Free T4: 12-22 - 16

So not too bad I guess. I understand of course that TSH could be lower so I upped my dose of natural desiccated thyroid from half a pill/grain to a whole pill. Figured there would be no harm in raising the metabolism a little when being a little overweight in anyway. Also the prolactin would be nice to see lower.

Some time in late March early April I started to have sensitive breasts, so yes, some gynecomastia tendencies too. So that made me up my vitamin K2 and E intake, as well as when I got my hands on it some olive leaf extract and calcium D glucarate, all supposedly acting as natural aromatase inhibitors. Lately my boobs have more pl or less stopped being sensitive and "feeling funny" and the tests also made me a bit more peaceful I guess. But let me tell you it was not funny when my (male) doctor was feeling my breasts, they were sore for days after. So I've gained a newfound respect for these parts of the ladies. ;)

I'm back on low dose Mirtazapine, 15 mg, since about two weeks. It's finally helped me wean off the Zopiclone which is not a pleasant thing to get hooked on, even though I always took only like 1/4 of a pill usually, along with Propavane.

I've also brought out me old rebounder and try to jump every morning and evening. I was advised by a knowledgeable gentleman to try to keep the lymph moving in my situation. :)

Also my doctor spoke with an endocrinologist and she said my weight gain and sensitive breasts could all be explained by my progesterone intake (of course that's just an insane thing to do in their world) and especially since my tests all were within normal everything should sort itself with time. I very much hope so of course, I've lost about 2 kg since I was around 86 kg. I try to get as much sun (on my upper body especially) as I can, but now spring has sort of stalled a little here in northern Sweden.

Lately also started to add boron/borax since I've wanted to get back on that (it's been years since I took some boron). I know there are mixed views on both boron and also SBHG but I think it's worth a shot. Hopefully it could help me to avoid getting strange feelings in my joints and bones also like I did when trying mirtazapine last autumn, which certainly was a new side effect for me (I've taken Mirtazapine a few times over the past 15 years, the only antidepressant I felt anything good from).

Also bought one of those mold yourself things to put in your mouth when your sleep, to keep the lower jaw in a forward position. Not very happy with it and it leaves my teeth feeling sore and dry, so probably not the best thing for dental health in the long run I would think.

OP
One-trick Tony
I'm sorry but when I post the spaces I put for the tests disappear so I'm sorry if it looks very scrambled.

OP
One-trick Tony
Hello there kind sir, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the kick in the ... to update the thread.

Yes I'm afraid not much have changed, I seem to have somewhat stabilized at around 86-87 kg, so pretty much 20 kg up from where I started. Last summer I went down to 80 kg, which made me take up vitamin D3 dosing again during last autumn, but the weight piled back on. This summer absolutely no weight loss whatsoever.

I have confirmed gynecomastia and this is the thing that really have been bothering me the most from this whole "crazy adventure". I can't run for sure without supporting my "boobs" and just driving around on the often not very good roads in northern Sweden often makes me hold one arm over/under them for support. It's not like I have huge breasts or anything but definitively more than what's comfortable and it's not just fat.

So I hope my case can serve as a small warning for other folks to be careful with hormones, especially here in the Ray Peat/Georgi Dinkov world where it might seem like progesterone can do nothing wrong... And yes, considering all I've tried before and after I'm pretty 99,99% sure it was the cream.

But an update on the migraine: Metergoline has helped quite a bit. :)

Xemnoraq

Hello there all you good people on this forum! :)

I've been lurking for perhaps two years or more and finally managed to sign up this winter, and this will be my first post. It's been long in the making but finally I caved in since I don't really know what to do about my situation.

In short I'm a man in my mid 40’s from Sweden. For those with better memory than me who listens to Ray Peat interviews with Patrick Timpone, I’ve sent in a question or two over the years. Then like now my main concern has been my ever increasing migraines.

I’ve been on thyroid for over two years in various doses but besides bringing my temps up and getting the warmth back in my extremities, no small feat I guess, it hasn’t really done anything else. I’ve always been skinny and could eat anything without my weight even blinking. I added some DHEA and pregnenolone and it also didn’t do much, although the DHEA helped my libido that had been tanking after 40 or so, but at least my weight and migraines were the same. This was early last year.

Enter this summer and me getting my hands on some Progesterone cream (Source Naturals). Finally I felt I’d found something that helped at least a little with my migraines - less and not as strong and I was thrilled! In the end of August I took a course of penicillin after a summer cold that never seemed to want to give up (I supposedly had “Covid” in December of 2020 and life somehow hasn’t been the same, at least my immune system), and this really wrecked my stomach which hasn’t really recovered fully yet despite all the probiotics, home made kefir or whatever I’ve thrown at it, as well as strong essential oils like oregano on the other side to try to kill of something nasty. Before this I had also started to sleep quite bad and for this reason started low dose Mirtazapine which will knock out most people with it’s antihistamine effect. I had to stop it though in November since I got some strange joint pains which I’ve never felt before (yes it wasn’t the first time with Mirtazapine).

And at least somewhere there in November at least I had to realize that I was really starting to be quite fat, especially around my belly (but it’s really all over). From always weighing under 70 kg (about 155 lbs) for 20+ years, and wanting to gain weight, I was now like 80+ kg (175 lbs). This would be more normal for a guy about 1.80m tall (5’11”) but since I’m anything but muscular still and it’s all just fat, it’s not funny and has gotten quite unpractical. I never though a big belly could get in the way so much…! And I don’t think it’s water since I don’t see any signs of edema in my feet and ankles (been there at times) and the fat has sort of a cellulite tendency.

So I didn’t know what was the culprit but being afraid to stop the progesterone I continued. After the holidays I had gained a few more kilos and sometime in January I stopped the pregnenolone. 3-4 weeks ago I finally had to try and cut the progesterone, then two weeks after or so I also stopped the DHEA. I have slowly gained another kilo or so after this and am now around 86 kg (190 lbs).

So during all this time I was taking about:

5-10mg progesterone in the evening as a cream, applied to the back of my neck always since that’s where my migraine sort of starts.
10-25mg of pregnenolone orally in the evening.
5-12,5mg of DHEA orally in the morning.

I know this has already gotten way too long, but what the heck should I do at this point? I think it must be the progesterone since everything else has never touched my weight before, including the very few antibiotics I have taken through the years. Could it be enough to just stop all and hope things might balance out with time, or should I perhaps try the approach that at least some women do and take a much higher dose of progesterone (and I would then like to finally try to get me some Progest-E) for a while? As for libido and so on I can’t say it really has become worse during my time with progesterone, maybe even a little better.

If anyone has made it this far I would surely appreciate any input you might have or gladly answer any questions. Sorry to be “another train wreck” on here but if nothing else maybe it could be a cautionary tale or something. It all just became a sort of perfect storm where I didn’t know what was doing what. If I’d been more energetic and alive I would have stopped earlier I guess but there is quite a bit of anhedonia and barely making it through the day energetically, so… Just turning myself into another lab rat I guess. ;)
This has been my experience, ive always been effortlessly ripped and skinny, could never gain fat whatsoever even when eating mass amounts of pufa in the past, ive always had a 6 pack, and i still do, but ever since trying progesterone in the past i just gain all this aboyying persistant fat around my lower abdomen, i can still see my 6 pack, but whenever i bend over i got these like inflated rolls its strange, no matter how much exercise i do, what i eat it still persists and its been maybe 2 or 3 years since i touched progesterone, im not sure what happened but i think i seriously messed something up, i think progesterones anti androgenic effects have something to do with it and i think it does something long term to adrogens that we need to figure out how to reverse, im probably never gonna touch that stuff again, and its just iritating because its this extremely persistant belly fat only that just wont **** off, i cant say forsure it was progesterone but all i know was i was absolutely shredded all my life before taking it and ever since taking it now ive been fluffy ever since, like i said i can still see my 6 pack but theres this anoyying layer of fluff that just wont **** off, i went up to 190 pounds at my max, down to 175 now but still with this anoyying layer of abdomen fat that i need to find out some way to send it to the underworld,

High androgens and test burns through fat like crazy, thats why women are more prone to obesity or weight gain, so i need to figure out wtf happened and get rid of it so i can go back to being easily shredded,

Tbh i think any man should stay 1000ft away from progesterone and anything else thats anti-androgenic its almost like PFS

OP
One-trick Tony
Hey there and thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm sorry to hear that you too have had a bad AND persisting problem after using progesterone. So what kind did you use and for how long?

I unfortunately have not much new to say as far as solving the issue... Since my main issue is with the gynecomastia, I've been mostly focusing on this but it goes hand in hand with the ##@$* whale blubber I now have decorating my abdomen...! T3 has helped a bit but only short term, so has DHT and Exemestane. I'm thinking it probably is some kind of estrogenic effect. The biggest mistake I made was taking it for waaayy too long and the body then downregulating it's own production and/or stimulating estrogen somehow. And also would have been nice if it would have been a "better" (?) version of progesterone.

Something that has finally made a dent in the weight gain is going back to basics and focusing on the liver with good ol' fashioned herbs taken from Maria Treben's "Health from God's garden". Lost about 2 kg after about 1,5 months but mostly feel better, especially with the migraines.

Anyways, just be glad you haven't developed boobs...! :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals