Cant stop gaining weight

SOMO

Take some pro-testosterone steroid.

Eat more meat (for the nutrition) and less sugar.
Eat liver once a week.

Light or heavy exercise.

I just dont get it and at a complete loss. 5'6, 200lb male and I just can't stop gaining weight. I walk 6000 + steps a day, and don't really overweight. I'm not comfortable at all over 175. My metabolism is now awful.

Took a screenshot of today's eating. Will prob end around 2k by day end because of some more milk and/or OJ.
In my opinion you are not eating nearly enough protein. 40 grams is nowhere near the 70 to 120 grams Ray Peat recommends. The amount of muscle you have determines how much fat you burn, and you have to have protein to build muscle.

"I've always been very sedentary, but I have usually had close to 150 grams daily. The traditional meat eaters didn't waste anything, ate all the skin, ears, tails, snouts, feet,tendons, lungs, intestines, marrow, blood,brains, gonads and other glands, picked the ligaments off the bones, so they had a much better balance of amino acids. (Small town restaurants in Mexico, China, etc., still serve those.) Muscle meats are essentially a refined food." -Ray Peat

FrenchKiwi

You need to eat less calories than you burn thats all there is to it. Eating more animal proteins help with satiety especially nutrient dense but no matter what if you dont eat less calories you will remain overweight. You are only getting around 70-80. I would aim for a least a hundred. Eating a lower fat diet when calorie restricting still allows you more carbs in the diet which helps energy. More caffeine while your dieting helps as well and makes it easier.
Thank god someone has given the one factor that is necessary for weight loss. It doesn't matter how incredibly pro metabolic your diet is, too many calories make you fatter

SOMO

Thank god someone has given the one factor that is necessary for weight loss. It doesn't matter how incredibly pro metabolic your diet is, too many calories make you fatter

Yes, CICO (Calories In, Calories Out) is the most important factor in weight loss.

I was a CICO purist for a long time, until I had to take Prednisolone and it caused me to gain weight even though my diet hasn't changed in years and my weight has been stable at 125 lbs since high school (I'm 30 now.)

So hormones do have an effect on weight even when calorie intake remains the same- at least Cortisol/Corticosteroids do.

FrenchKiwi

Yes, CICO (Calories In, Calories Out) is the most important factor in weight loss.

I was a CICO purist for a long time, until I had to take Prednisolone and it caused me to gain weight even though my diet hasn't changed in years and my weight has been stable at 125 lbs since high school (I'm 30 now.)

So hormones do have an effect on weight even when calorie intake remains the same- at least Cortisol/Corticosteroids do.
So are both camps right? Cico is important but foods/medications/stress etc affect hormones too which affects cico. For example, for some reason fruit makes me really hungry, meat makes me full. Is this hormonal?

ursidae

1) Drop the dairy, replace with meat (Beef, seafood, very lean chicken, very lean turkey)
2) Increase protein intake 0.6-0.8g/lb, max 1g/lb
3) Drop the granulated sugar and replace with whole fruit, fruit juice, frozen fruit, cooked tubers
4) Add in some cooked vegetables that you tolerate
5) Change your fat to a mix of coconut oil and either tallow or macadamia nut oil possibly extra virgin olive oil.
6) Eat 3-4 square meals a day, no snacking. Each meal should contain all macros. Drink juice and eat fruit first, wait 10-15 minutes for it to digest, then eat meat and fat.
7) Lift weights atleast 3x per week.
8) Adjust calories on lifting days using the katch mcardle formula with an activity multiplier of 1.5-1.6x
9) Adjust calories on non-lifting days using katch mcardle with an activity multiplier of 1.3-1.4x
10) Use cronometer to determine if your hitting all your micro. Supplement the difference with a focus on cal/mag, fat solubles, and B-vitamins.

11) Bonus 1: sleep 8 hours per night, going to bed before 11. Get sun in the AM.
This

Richiebogie

I would replace your 3 chicken drumsticks with 300g beef & tomato sauce or 300g lamb & mint sauce.

That will give you more iron, zinc, selenium, protein, saturated fat and less PUFA.

Maybe do some squats, sit ups and push ups in addition to your walks. This will help build muscle and burn more calories. Start slowly.

rockarolla

Sorry, but this is false dogma. If ones level of endotoxin is high enough, it's possible to consume up to 2..4k extra calories(right ones, such as sugar/starch) without weight gain.

SOMO

Sorry, but this is false dogma. If ones level of endotoxin is high enough, it's possible to consume up to 2..4k extra calories(right ones, such as sugar/starch) without weight gain.

It's not dogma lol. Let's stop complicating the issue - it's already so hard to lose weight for most people and there's so much confusing information out there.

Maybe there's some small percentage of sick people where the CICO formula is slower, but for the VAST majority of people if you restrict calories slightly you will lose weight. If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTi5ugF9Bdk

mrchibbs

Basically there's two pathways: increase metabolism and decrease calories. So typically taking extra thyroid (e.g. 4 grains instead of 2-3) will lead to weight loss, keeping calories stable.

Other factors which are powerfully linked to adiposity are protein, calcium, vitamin D and resistance training. More protein, sugars and less starch and fat is my rule of thumb.

Endotoxin is a big factor too, if digestion is sluggish it's hard to lose weight. Cascara can be of use here.

Dr. B

Sugar, I'm eating more than you and I'm a 5'4" woman over age 60 and I'm losing weight. Some thoughts:

No starches. That's likely helping your metabolism.

I don't see enough protein there.

I see you plan to drink more milk, but right now there's not enough calcium. Boosting calcium really boosted my metabolism, bet it would do the same for you.

How about oysters and liver for zinc and copper, vitamin A, choline, B vitamins? B vitamins are critical for boosting your metabolism. Even with a couple of oysters a day and an ounce of liver, I'd still recommend some Energin. 8 drops, 3x a day would really work wonders.

How about some gelatin or glycine-rich broth? Very pro-metabolism.

I agree with schultz, I'm concerned about your nutrients.

How about maybe 1 glass of lemonade a day and some more OJ, maybe a jumbo tablespoon of marmalade with two eggs instead of one, and how about some fruit? Some watermelon would give you magnesium. Magnesium makes your metabolism hum. You could go crazy and have grapes or cherries now and then. A slice of cantaloupe! On rare occasions: A peach!

What is the mayo going on?

Any way you can switch to skim milk until late in the day? Throw some sugar and salt in it? You actually start to look forward to it if it has sugar and salt in it. Whole milk with sugar and salt, or salty cheese and fruit or OJ at bedtime?

How's your thyroid? Resting heart rate where it should be? Resting temps?

When you gain weight, are you gaining it all in your stomach or do your arms and legs gain weight too?

Getting any sun? How are your Vitamin D levels? Very pro-metabolic!

How are you sleeping?

Do you actually enjoy any of that food other than the lemonade?

Hang in there. You can fix this. I actually have a strong intuition you're not eating enough to lose weight.
long time Nemo,
i havent done gelatin before i used to be a big whey protein user
does gelatin have any actual nutrients like vitamins minerals.
or is it just a pure protein source?
does it lack tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, or which aminos does it lack?
I think the anti peat amino acids are those 3 alongside arginine right.

i want a good gelatin. i was looking at great lakes brand, orange colored bovine gelatin. is that the best quality gelatin available?
can that gelatin be just eaten with a spoon straight out the container?
i dont want to mix it with water or cook it... is it like raw gelatin or whats the issue with eating straight out the container
I want to get 140 grams protein a day, from either gelatin or whey protein powder, which i would just eat with a spoon

Get a lot of Vitamin D (from sun if possible - half hour per day legs and arms exposed) and radically increase Ca. They work in tandem. (My principle issue was hypertension - which is linked to fat stores - these helped bring both down when nothing else seemed to work.) Ca is also good to relax the nerves. Thyroid supplementation is useless if you don't get your D and Ca where they should be. Ray recommends 2000mg Ca per day - almost impossible to get from dairy alone unless you are Ray and drink a couple quarts of milk per day. Ca Carbonate works well for me, you get your Ca and a boost of CO2.

You're not eating starch, so evidently you're already aware that its been known to be fattening for decades.

whats tough about drinking milk, if you drink a half gallon thats 2500mg calcium a day??

Dr. B

Basically there's two pathways: increase metabolism and decrease calories. So typically taking extra thyroid (e.g. 4 grains instead of 2-3) will lead to weight loss, keeping calories stable.

Other factors which are powerfully linked to adiposity are protein, calcium, vitamin D and resistance training. More protein, sugars and less starch and fat is my rule of thumb.

Endotoxin is a big factor too, if digestion is sluggish it's hard to lose weight. Cascara can be of use here.
even less saturated/mufa fat? those cause fat gain? how low should fat be, what if youve got a half gallon whole milk (64g fat) and the rest of the diet is mosly fat free, so like 70g total fat a day? then 210g protein, and maybe 300g to 330g carbs?

Dr. B

but metabolism is the key to being lean, metabolism is why some can be obese or extremely overweight on 1500 calories, whereas others can be lean on 3000 calories, even when activity levels, sleep, etc are the same...

mrchibbs

even less saturated/mufa fat? those cause fat gain? how low should fat be, what if youve got a half gallon whole milk (64g fat) and the rest of the diet is mosly fat free, so like 70g total fat a day? then 210g protein, and maybe 300g to 330g carbs?

Well the unsaturated fats accumulating will lower metabolism, which the saturated fats won't do but they will provide a lot of calories, and at some point if you're not in an optimal state (i.e. healthy child, teenager or young adult), and not very active (mentally and physically), you probably won't be able to oxidize all this fat and use it, and therefore it will be stored.

Dr. B

Well the unsaturated fats accumulating will lower metabolism, which the saturated fats won't do but they will provide a lot of calories, and at some point if you're not in an optimal state (i.e. healthy child, teenager or young adult), and not very active (mentally and physically), you probably won't be able to oxidize all this fat and use it, and therefore it will be stored.
does protein intake boost metabolism/oxidation? what else can we do to increase oxidation/oxygenation besides using supplements like aspirin, vitamin d, etc...

mrchibbs

does protein intake boost metabolism/oxidation? what else can we do to increase oxidation/oxygenation besides using supplements like aspirin, vitamin d, etc...

yes protein is the most thermogenic of the macros, and fats are the least. fructose increases carbon dioxide production better than any other sugar/carb, so those two are probably the best choices for high metabolism/fat loss. But it's not always simple, sometimes certain foods are staples for some people and they just don't feel well without some potato/butter etc.

to increase metabolic rate, oxidative phosphorylation the best thing is to have a stimulating life. If you wake up and you're excited about what you do and you have good people in your life, maybe a nice partner/gf/bf, naturally the cells mitochondria is going to kick into gear and you'll get more and more energetic.

It's a positive feedback loop. Light is another powerful thing, the more light you have in your daily environment, the more alive you'll feel. It activates energy production at a fundamental level. This is why incandescent and red light devices are so useful, to "top off" an inadequate environment.

Limiting EMF exposure, and improving air/water quality are other big factors.

SOMO

long time Nemo,
i havent done gelatin before i used to be a big whey protein user
does gelatin have any actual nutrients like vitamins minerals.
or is it just a pure protein source?
does it lack tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, or which aminos does it lack?
I think the anti peat amino acids are those 3 alongside arginine right.

i want a good gelatin. i was looking at great lakes brand, orange colored bovine gelatin. is that the best quality gelatin available?
can that gelatin be just eaten with a spoon straight out the container?
i dont want to mix it with water or cook it... is it like raw gelatin or whats the issue with eating straight out the container
I want to get 140 grams protein a day, from either gelatin or whey protein powder, which i would just eat with a spoon

whats tough about drinking milk, if you drink a half gallon thats 2500mg calcium a day??
Gelatin is a pure protein source. There are no extra "vitamins" or minerals in it.

Raw gelatin is a bad idea because it is hydroscopic and will suck the moisture out of your intestine, and it can cause significant constipation (speaking from personal experience unfortunately.) Always dissolve the gelatin fully in hot water.

Vinny

I just dont get it and at a complete loss. 5'6, 200lb male and I just can't stop gaining weight. I walk 6000 + steps a day, and don't really overweight. I'm not comfortable at all over 175. My metabolism is now awful.

Took a screenshot of today's eating. Will prob end around 2k by day end because of some more milk and/or OJ.
I once met a person who had at that time perfectly solved her fat gaining problem with OMAD. She was super slim and hot and in perfect health.
I`m trying it myself, but for me is not working well right now. I think I figured it out why is not working, but would be able to prove it not before the beginning of next year.

Dr. B

Gelatin is a pure protein source. There are no extra "vitamins" or minerals in it.

Raw gelatin is a bad idea because it is hydroscopic and will suck the moisture out of your intestine, and it can cause significant constipation (speaking from personal experience unfortunately.) Always dissolve the gelatin fully in hot water.
what about dried fruits? those also pro constipation...? theyve got fiber but all the water normally in the fruit is gone?
man that sucks...
i wanted to get 140g protein from gelatin
what about just eating whey protein powder then, eating the powder straight with a spoon
i dont want to use water for anything besides external washing...