Help: Gaining Weight + Healing Hashimoto's

FD8

Hello everyone

First of all, I must say I am very new to the Ray Peat approach.
I am 23, live in Ireland and have been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

I have lost a lot of weight over the past 6/7 months. I followed a strict macrobiotic from April 2014 to November and it was hell. Made me really sick and probably caused my thyroid problems (daily consumption of soy products)

I've recently stumbled upon articles that mentioned the Ray Peat diet and I'm really intrigued/interested.

At this point I want nothing more but to feel healthy again: more energy, normal digestion, normal weight.

My question is : what advice would you give a total beginner like me in order to :
-re-gain the weight I lost (about 12kg)
-heal my thyroid and body (My symptoms look like IBS/SIBO or whatever most self-diagnosed people with digestive issues think they have ..)

Thank you very much

Welcome!

I would take morning temperature and heart rate, after waking up and after breakfast. If low then I'd start small amounts of thyroid dried glandular, or NDT. I like Tyromax which is a boutique product made by Haidut here for that. You can start with 2 to 4 drops and work up over 4 or 6 weeks as your temps respond.

I'd also move to a diet low in irritating fermentation in the gut. That means dairy products, sugar, honey, orange juice (without the pulp if possible), and maybe gelatin if you can tolerate it. And well cooked veggies but no raw salads or raw veggies. White rice or boiled potatoes might work better. You have to see.

It seems that with thryoid improving, transit times in the gut go FASTER and SIBO and IBS sometimes resolves with nothing but that. I've also seen others from India get great relief with a short course of gum acacia or mastic gum, but again that is not "Peaty".

I personally take psyllium fiber every day, and have for many years, but that's not what people here generally recommend. I found it helpful in diminishing irritation.

The big thing is to perceive, think and act. You can get better at monitoring symptoms and assigning a possible cause to that effect, test it yourself, and figure out what makes the symptoms disappear and makes you feel better.

Agent207

ecstatichamster said:
post 118441 Welcome!

I would take morning temperature and heart rate, after waking up and after breakfast. If low then I'd start small amounts of thyroid dried glandular, or NDT. I like Tyromax which is a boutique product made by Haidut here for that. You can start with 2 to 4 drops and work up over 4 or 6 weeks as your temps respond.

Wouldn't it be wise to check HPA status to be sure its rock solid or have it healed first, and then proceed with thyroid hormone protocol?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
FD8

FD8

Thank you. @ecstatichamster Are you sure about dairy ?

FD8 said:
post 118447 Thank you. @ecstatichamster Are you sure about dairy ?

if you can tolerate it, it can be very good.

I thought I couldn't tolerate it but I'm doing fine with it. The amino mix is good, it's convenient and Ray Peat points out that it is high in calcium compared to phosphorous.

I am now doing okay on some milk as well as fresh and slightly aged cheese, along with non fat yogurt. You might also, who knows. Don't write it off though, necessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agent207 said:
Wouldn't it be wise to check HPA status to be sure its rock solid or have it healed first, and then proceed with thyroid hormone protocol?

what does that look like?

Agent207

I mean having the adrenals working properly, checking theres proper and balanced amounts of pregnenolone, cortisol, DHEA. Sometimes thyroid problems come from long time HPA disregulaton by stress overload.