Nectresse / monk fruit sweetener - thoughts?

cmdshiftdel

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows Peats ideas on this kind of sweetener --> nectresse- made from monk fruit. Not looking to replace sugar or fruit, just supplement my sweet tooth without extra calories.

Thanks!

Travis B

I picked some up the other day to try to kill ants in my kitchen after reading erythritol killed fruit flies in a study. Isn't erythritol the main sweetener in Nectresse? If so, that's a sugar alcohol, which essentially is just a carbohydrate that behaves like a fiber. Erythritol is even considered a "prebiotic" which will help feed beneficial flora in the gut.

I don't think there'd be any problem with the Nectresse. The only thing to watch out for is prebiotics (of which erythritol is one) often make people experience rumbling in their intestines, which can be uncomfortable. What most people don't know is that this discomfort is probably because they've got some strange things going on with their gut flora and the prebiotic is feeding the good bacteria, which is a good thing.

pboy

its probably alright compared to other non sugar sweeteners or artificial sweeteners. I still would be careful eating more than a little just because of sugar alcohols tendency to cause gas...they basically act like a fermentable fiber (a soluble fiber). It took a while for me to realize that not only does white sugar taste the cleanest but its actually the best for my mood and health, I dunno if im the only one...I think it would be very hard to gain weight off white sugar, which might seem opposite to what mainstream says, but its just my experience. I understand what you mean though, so yea it would be the best choice compared to other non sugar sweeteners, but still be careful with how much you use if you do

(I recently read something from a textbook saying about 1% of ingested carbohydrate gets shuttled into the fatty acid pathway...so unless your glycogen stores were
already full which is unlikely, it would be extremely hard to ever gain weight from sugar alone...even fermentable fiber turning into short chain fatty acids seems like a more likely route to fatty acid conversion than from ingested sugar)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals