Nasal clog preventing restful sleep

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
38 male slightly overweight supposed to be 175 for my height but I am 195lb. non smoker. Alcohol intensifies my problem. been dealing with a nasal clog for many years I am so tired of it because it prevents restful sleep. It causes me to move around constantly throughout the night and I can only breath through one nostril at a time. Restricted air flow.
The clog switches sides depending on gravity. If I am on my left side sleeping the clog will be left nostril and vise versa. The clog is present in both nostrils when back sleeping but I can get air in through both. Sleeping with an elevated head helps a little bit but the clog only disappears when standing up.
Decongestants offer a temporary clearing of the clog but it will come back in the middle of the night.
I have been to an ENT many times they don't know what it is. Everything looks good in my nose and throat. I have also done an allergy tests. I do not have any allergens in my house that came up on the test.

Does anyone know what this clog is and why it shifts with gravity. I experience it all year long. It destroys my sleep and I never feel rested.

Thank you for your help.

Jennifer

Does anyone know what this clog is and why it shifts with gravity. I experience it all year long. It destroys my sleep and I never feel rested.

Do you experience any digestive issues such as gas? Also, you say you don’t have any allergies in your house that came up on the test, but could you be reacting to a food or supplement that the allergy test didn’t catch?

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Do you experience any digestive issues such as gas? Also, you say you don’t have any allergies in your house that came up on the test, but could you be reacting to a food or supplement that the allergy test didn’t catch?
Yes I also have a terrible belching problem. I can be on an empty stomach and drink water and still burp loudly. I dont understand it. I haven't taken many supplements most of my life until recently. And this problem has been persistent for at least 10 years now.
Currently I am taking D3 K2 vit c zinc magnesium glycate aspirin serrapeptase l-citruline ashwaganda taurine

I am not sure about what food I am allergic too. It seems like no matter what I eat or dont eat I have this problem.

Jennifer

Yes I also have a terrible belching problem. I can be on an empty stomach and drink water and still burp loudly. I dont understand it. I haven't taken many supplements most of my life until recently. And this problem has been persistent for at least 10 years now.
Currently I am taking D3 K2 vit c zinc magnesium glycate aspirin serrapeptase l-citruline ashwaganda taurine

I am not sure about what food I am allergic too. It seems like no matter what I eat or dont eat I have this problem.

Ah, okay. I would bet your digestion is the source of the clog. My mum and I experienced the same thing, even the clog switching sinuses when turning over at night, which I just assumed had to do with the pressure changing. We would even experience a pop in our sinuses when getting out of bed in the morning which again, I assumed was due to a release of built up pressure. I hate for a person to go on an elimination diet, but maybe a few days on a very simple diet of foods that are known to be low in allergens and gut irritants would help you to identify a possible culprit or culprits? Ray suggested this to a member who had digestive problems:

Windinthepines wrote: I've been having digestion problems for years, sometimes diarrhea a few times a day, even after changing my diet and trying all sorts of things. Is there anything to try, other than carrots, antibiotics, and anti-serotinin drugs? I was wondering if some type of restricted diet high in gelatin or glycine might permanently help.

Ray replied: Have you tried elimination diets, for example nothing but milk and carrots for a few days, or orange juice and eggs, to see if you can identify problem foods?

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Ah, okay. I would bet your digestion is the source of the clog. My mum and I experienced the same thing, even the clog switching sinuses when turning over at night, which I just assumed had to do with the pressure changing. We would even experience a pop in our sinuses when getting out of bed in the morning which again, I assumed was due to a release of built up pressure. I hate for a person to go on an elimination diet, but maybe a few days on a very simple diet of foods that are known to be low in allergens and gut irritants would help you to identify a possible culprit or culprits? Ray suggested this to a member who had digestive problems:

Windinthepines wrote: I've been having digestion problems for years, sometimes diarrhea a few times a day, even after changing my diet and trying all sorts of things. Is there anything to try, other than carrots, antibiotics, and anti-serotinin drugs? I was wondering if some type of restricted diet high in gelatin or glycine might permanently help.

Ray replied: Have you tried elimination diets, for example nothing but milk and carrots for a few days, or orange juice and eggs, to see if you can identify problem foods?

Thanks Jennifer

Did you find the culprit to your nose clog? was it a particular food?

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @olowshinenine. :) I get the clog with most plant food, especially fibrous vegetables and legumes.

AlaskaJono

38 male slightly overweight supposed to be 175 for my height but I am 195lb. non smoker. Alcohol intensifies my problem. been dealing with a nasal clog for many years I am so tired of it because it prevents restful sleep. It causes me to move around constantly throughout the night and I can only breath through one nostril at a time. Restricted air flow.
The clog switches sides depending on gravity. If I am on my left side sleeping the clog will be left nostril and vise versa. The clog is present in both nostrils when back sleeping but I can get air in through both. Sleeping with an elevated head helps a little bit but the clog only disappears when standing up.
Decongestants offer a temporary clearing of the clog but it will come back in the middle of the night.
I have been to an ENT many times they don't know what it is. Everything looks good in my nose and throat. I have also done an allergy tests. I do not have any allergens in my house that came up on the test.

Thank you for your help.
Phlegm is a part of life. But too much phlegm is not a welcome thing! As long as your phlegm is clear-ish, not too white or yellow, it isn't such a problem. Yes do the diet thang and stop alcohol for a week or more, along with Jennifer's suggestion. Besides diet, also allergens from the outer environment play a role in phlegm production. I know as I am affected. I do a salt water snurf lately every morning, and sometimes in the evening before bed. One can get a neti pot, but I just use a little espresso cup with warm salt water. Like 2 or 3 pinches of salt, so that it tastes salty, but not toooo salty. A few snurfs in each nostril over the sink can at least clear some of the upper sinuses from where the phlegn is hiding.

Longer term the diet and your metabolism is what mostly drives the phlegm production. Hence you must experiment with your diet, and note the changes over weeks and months. No magic pill. Note: Beer, and other yeasty products I would stay away from for 3 months or more, then experiment! That means no bread except possibly sourdough. Good luck.

DrJ

Probably you need thiamine and perhaps lots of thiamine. Nose breathing issues are due to lack of carbon dioxide vasodilating the blood vessels in the nose and preventing constriction. Thiamine increases carbon dioxide production by supporting efficient metabolism. You also need thiamine for good stomach acid production so maybe that's why you're belching.

TheSir

Chronic hyperventilation. You will notice that the clog disappears when you breathe less. Our ventilation volume is the greatest and our breathing technique the worst when we're lying down, hence the appearance of the problem upon going to the bed. Some have it so bad that they're clogged in an upright position too. What was said about digestion and thiamine above me are good places to begin from. Hypoventilation exercises like Buteyko may be needed too.

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter

Thank you for your help.
I have a structural thing that cause one nostril to be blocked in alternating fashion. I tape my mouth at night, forcing nasal breathing which keeps the nose unblocked. I studied Buteyko with Patrick McKeown and the exercises are a game changer. Also sounds like you may have small intestinal dysbiosis. Cleansing the gut with herbs and decongesting the liver is what I would focus on. These things a losing a few lbs will help a lot.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
My belching due to digestion issues has disappeared completely ever since taking HCL or drinking lemon water with every meal.

Explorer

For some reason I always get this nasal block which involves dry stuffy sometimes mixed with blood mucus that can be pulled out both from nose or sometimes goes down my throat in a liquid throat and then must be gargled out, whenever I ejaculate for the next 24 hours or so, then if I don't ejaculate for a night this histamine/prostaglandin/inflammatory/candida (idk what exactly causes it but I assume the factors I mentioned are involved) cascade decreases and also I sleep better

Anyone knows why exactly ejaculation triggers an inflammatory fungal bacterial prostaglandin histaminergic type reaction involving drier skin, stuffier nose, feeling of adrenergic over-excitation if I do it at night which then rids the natural evening/night melatonin-ergic sleepiness?

Could it just be some fungi or bacteria in prostate or reproductive system?

On /r/POIS subreddit many got cured by anti candida protocols like oregano oil and fluconazole and so on

Anyone knows a good online store with fluconazole that ships from/within/to EU?

ilovethesea

Probably you need thiamine and perhaps lots of thiamine. Nose breathing issues are due to lack of carbon dioxide vasodilating the blood vessels in the nose and preventing constriction. Thiamine increases carbon dioxide production by supporting efficient metabolism. You also need thiamine for good stomach acid production so maybe that's why you're belching.
Was just going to suggest this. I’ve tried everything for on/off runny nose symptoms and blocked nose when lying down. It started when I began following Ray 10 years ago and I believe all the coffee and sugars which I never had before depleted B1. I’m still in the process of ramping up my B1 dose thanks to all the info from @mostlylurking, but it is definitely working.

Read this post and comments from Dr. Lonsdale on Hormones Matter blog The Nasal Cycle: Sinusitis, Allergies, or Something Else?- Hormones Matter
He says “A permanently “drippy nose” indicating pathology of the autonomic control of the nasal cycle from TD.” (TD = thiamine deficiency)
“Conclusion: this is flagrant thiamine deficiency in the hind brain that controls the autonomic nervous system.”

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Phlegm is a part of life. But too much phlegm is not a welcome thing! As long as your phlegm is clear-ish, not too white or yellow, it isn't such a problem. Yes do the diet thang and stop alcohol for a week or more, along with Jennifer's suggestion. Besides diet, also allergens from the outer environment play a role in phlegm production. I know as I am affected. I do a salt water snurf lately every morning, and sometimes in the evening before bed. One can get a neti pot, but I just use a little espresso cup with warm salt water. Like 2 or 3 pinches of salt, so that it tastes salty, but not toooo salty. A few snurfs in each nostril over the sink can at least clear some of the upper sinuses from where the phlegn is hiding.

Longer term the diet and your metabolism is what mostly drives the phlegm production. Hence you must experiment with your diet, and note the changes over weeks and months. No magic pill. Note: Beer, and other yeasty products I would stay away from for 3 months or more, then experiment! That means no bread except possibly sourdough. Good luck.
Thank you I will take a closer look at my diet. Netty pot did not help

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
This is very interesting. I am still trying to understand the peat methodology regarding CO2 this is a new concept to me. I am not sure where to get thiamine. And yes I have often wondered about my stomach acid levels but never tested

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Chronic hyperventilation. You will notice that the clog disappears when you breathe less. Our ventilation volume is the greatest and our breathing technique the worst when we're lying down, hence the appearance of the problem upon going to the bed. Some have it so bad that they're clogged in an upright position too. What was said about digestion and thiamine above me are good places to begin from. Hypoventilation exercises like Buteyko may be needed too.
Thank you

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
I have a structural thing that cause one nostril to be blocked in alternating fashion. I tape my mouth at night, forcing nasal breathing which keeps the nose unblocked. I studied Buteyko with Patrick McKeown and the exercises are a game changer. Also sounds like you may have small intestinal dysbiosis. Cleansing the gut with herbs and decongesting the liver is what I would focus on. These things a losing a few lbs will help a lot.
Do you think drinking to much kombucha might have imbalanced my gut? I have been drinking kombucha for many years thinking it was good for me. Maybe I have overdone it

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
My belching due to digestion issues has disappeared completely ever since taking HCL or drinking lemon water with every meal.
I will look into hcl I have not tried this. Lemon water did not help me
For some reason I always get this nasal block which involves dry stuffy sometimes mixed with blood mucus that can be pulled out both from nose or sometimes goes down my throat in a liquid throat and then must be gargled out, whenever I ejaculate for the next 24 hours or so, then if I don't ejaculate for a night this histamine/prostaglandin/inflammatory/candida (idk what exactly causes it but I assume the factors I mentioned are involved) cascade decreases and also I sleep better

Anyone knows why exactly ejaculation triggers an inflammatory fungal bacterial prostaglandin histaminergic type reaction involving drier skin, stuffier nose, feeling of adrenergic over-excitation if I do it at night which then rids the natural evening/night melatonin-ergic sleepiness?

Could it just be some fungi or bacteria in prostate or reproductive system?

On /r/POIS subreddit many got cured by anti candida protocols like oregano oil and fluconazole and so on

Anyone knows a good online store with fluconazole that ships from/within/to EU?
For me there is no correlation between ejaculation and my nose being clogged when sleeping

OP
O

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Was just going to suggest this. I’ve tried everything for on/off runny nose symptoms and blocked nose when lying down. It started when I began following Ray 10 years ago and I believe all the coffee and sugars which I never had before depleted B1. I’m still in the process of ramping up my B1 dose thanks to all the info from @mostlylurking, but it is definitely working.

Read this post and comments from Dr. Lonsdale on Hormones Matter blog The Nasal Cycle: Sinusitis, Allergies, or Something Else?- Hormones Matter
He says “A permanently “drippy nose” indicating pathology of the autonomic control of the nasal cycle from TD.” (TD = thiamine deficiency)
“Conclusion: this is flagrant thiamine deficiency in the hind brain that controls the autonomic nervous system.”
Thank you I will have to study this thiamine

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals