Creating an ideal sleep environment - Why your pillow and mattress could be wrecking your sleep

LadyRae

I think there really is something to this. Being unclothed, especially while sleeping, is quite healthy. And bras….I hate them. I think most women do. Unfortunately they are a necessary evil when out in public. They are like straightjackets for your breasts. Especially those underwire ones. I got rid of mine and wear the most comfortable stretchy soft kind I can find. Then when I’m home, off it goes. I like being comfortable in my dwelling domain.
Me too. You might check out Aerie (American Eagle) bralettes. Soft, pretty, no wire.

Me too. You might check out Aerie (American Eagle) bralettes. Soft, pretty, no wire.

Those look nice but I need a little more ya know, support lol. I like the ones that don’t have wire ( obviously) but have a molded cup. Bra designs are getting better now fortunately.

Old Irenaeus

I elevated my bed. I have red light at night. But I have a new idea, which is to sleep on top of this sheepskin rug I have. I worry, though, about how I would clean it because presumably if I sleep on it for a long time, it will eventually need cleaning.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

STILL SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR

You GOT TO LEAVE THE BED BEHIND GENTLEMEN

You know how in a boxing match, hitting your opponent in the back of the head is NOT allowed because it can easily knock them out or kill them if struck in that area?

Yea once I started sleeping on the floor the back of my head got ROCK HARD and so did the back of my bones all over my body, if someone sucker-punched me in the back of my head THEY WOULD HIT A BRICK WALL thats how hard it is

Your ancestors had a rock hard skull in the back and same story for the rest of the bones

Sleeping on a bed is 8 HOURS OF STRESS A DAY - thats 56 HOURS A STRESS A WEEK - A THIRD OF YOUR LIFETIME WILL BE UNDER STRESS IF YOU CONTINUE TO SLEEP ON THE BED
I

LadyRae

STILL SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR

You GOT TO LEAVE THE BED BEHIND GENTLEMEN

You know how in a boxing match, hitting your opponent in the back of the head is NOT allowed because it can easily knock them out or kill them if struck in that area?

Yea once I started sleeping on the floor the back of my head got ROCK HARD and so did the back of my bones all over my body, if someone sucker-punched me in the back of my head THEY WOULD HIT A BRICK WALL thats how hard it is

Your ancestors had a rock hard skull in the back and same story for the rest of the bones

Sleeping on a bed is 8 HOURS OF STRESS A DAY - thats 56 HOURS A STRESS A WEEK - A THIRD OF YOUR LIFETIME WILL BE UNDER STRESS IF YOU CONTINUE TO SLEEP ON THE BED
I
For most of a month of August I slept on the ground with a very minimal thin pad while I was on my big backpacking trip. I've really never felt better. Also, I always sleep well in the back of my big Toyota SUV when I put the seats down. It doesn't sound like it would make for a good night's sleep but I'm always surprised by how well rested I am the next morning...

LadyRae

How about not using a pillow with my bed 🛏️ inclined at the head? Is that enough?
Yeah, ditching your pillow is good for you whether your bed is inclined or not. By the way, I have been sleeping with the head of my bed raised up 6 in on books and it has definitely improved my sleep in the past 3 weeks. I should post an update in that other thread...

Sparks

I've been sleeping on the floor for 3 months but still have a sore neck, head and shoulders. While I prefer it to bed sleeping I've got the great results that others have. I do still use a very thin pillow otherwise I feel my neck hyper-extends.

HumanLife

I've been sleeping on a grounded floor on a wool comforter for a few weeks now and I'm never going back to a bed - I keep my head slightly elevated with a folded cotton blanket

A bed even with a wool comforter still causes estrogenic symtops/hypometabolism and plus sleeping on the floor has caused MAJOR positive results -

The bones in the back of my body have gotten a lot stronger to support my weight

My hair and nails are growing REALLY fast

I only need about 4-5 hours of sleep to feel COMPLETELY rested vs 8 hours on a bed

Also sleeping on the floor is causing ACCELERATED expansions of my jaws/skull meanwhile estrogenic mattresses tend to REVERSE this/mess it up

I just sat down on a mattress with my wool comforter for the first time in a few weeks and I felt horrible

It takes a few days to get used to sleeping on a floor but once you do it feels really good

Only thing I would emphasize is to ensure your floor is not lined with plastic (most wooden floors are) or else you won't really be grounded
Are you still doing this?

In 2019 March I had a period a weekend where I was incredibly euphoric but I tried so many things at once I can’t pinpoint it exactly. I haven’t slept on the floor again so I guess I should try that. Seems like any wool comforter will do.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Are you still doing this?

In 2019 March I had a period a weekend where I was incredibly euphoric but I tried so many things at once I can’t pinpoint it exactly. I haven’t slept on the floor again so I guess I should try that. Seems like any wool comforter will do.
Yea, in my opinion sleeping in a mattress or having a mattress in the same room is really unhealthy, it really downgrades air quality

I don't see myself ever not sleeping on the floor

When I finish moving to a rural area (Around July-August) I'm going to try sleeping outside on the dirt/grass (staying outside 24/7) I got a shack in my backyard at my new place that I could modify to get it done and hopefully it doesn't have toxic insulation but I'll check it out once I finish moving

TheSir

Did you ever try simply wrapping your polyester matress and pillow in several layers of cotton/wool bedsheets? Did you find that insufficient? I wonder if the harmful effects of polyester extend beyond direct skin contact due to how its electric properties potentially interact with our own electromagnetic aura. If so, I can see how it would necessitate replacing everything.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Did you ever try simply wrapping your polyester matress and pillow in several layers of cotton/wool bedsheets? Did you find that insufficient? I wonder if the harmful effects of polyester extend beyond direct skin contact due to how its electric properties potentially interact with our own electromagnetic aura. If so, I can see how it would necessitate replacing everything.
I did honestly, I tried like 5 cotton blankets on top of a wool comforter and it was still very stressful

Personally I think anything people have in the house interacts with you DNA-wise

A few months ago, half my family moved out the house and took away 2 polyester mattresses from the house (not near my room), and it was a massive difference in my health the moment they removed the mattresses out, I could breath so much easier and didn't like I needed the air filter as much

I think even being in a room with a plastic chair is interacting with you DNA-wise, affecting the air, and affecting the electricity in the room

The problem I have with mattress is its not just a small plastic toy, its trillions of polyester particles and personally, it was impossible for me to be healthy being in the same room with a polyester mattress

Once my stress levels got really low, I instinctively just felt like throwing away everything that was plastic (plastic chairs, polyester jerseys that were in my basement), etc.

Plus, honestly, we spend 8 hours sleeping every day, if we remove that stressor early on in our life, who knows how many benefits we can reap in a lifetime

Its hard to get used to so I understand why some people on here may not want to try on it, but your bones really strengthen through the experience and after like 2 weeks, it feels so natural and personally I can't ever go back to being on a mattress, I really notice the stress it was causing now that I spent a lot of time away from it

Mauritio

I never see anyone mention futons, but I have slept on a futon mattress for the last 15 years, (with a brief foray on a foam mattress until I could convince my wife to be to try a futon). When I say futon mattress, I mean futon mattress only, (no frame, mattress is on the floor). It is the best sleep I’ve ever had.

Whenever I’m away from home I prefer a couple blankets on the floor over an innerspring mattress. I can’t sleep on a typical mattress. I overheat, and my back kills me. I’ll toss and turn all night!

My futon mattress is organic unbleached cotton, latex, and wool topped. The best part is, they’re not terribly expensive, (I mean relatively speaking). I just replaced one my wife and I had for seven years and the new one cost about 700 dollars US. Not cheap, but no frame, no box spring or slats. 700 for an incredible toxin free sleep experience is really good when you consider say the Swiss bed, or other “natural” alternatives.

A close second is a stack of Mexican, cotton woven svaroopa blankets. My old yoga teacher in college ditched her bed and started sleeping on a stack of these yoga blankets, (maybe 20 blankets stacked on top of one another). That was a comfortable “bed!”
Maybe a studpid question, but can you use a futon matress instead of a regualr one? like put the futon on the frame...

EvanHinkle

Maybe a studpid question, but can you use a futon matress instead of a regualr one? like put the futon on the frame...
Yeah, of course. I slept on the futon mattress on the floor for years, (most comfortable sleep I’ve ever had). Since getting married I’ve built a “box spring” out of some spare 2x4s and 1x6s, (think like a pallet) and have the mattress on that. I’m in the middle of moving but will eventually build a traditional bed as well, but I’ll never give up the futon mattress!

Mauritio

Yeah, of course. I slept on the futon mattress on the floor for years, (most comfortable sleep I’ve ever had). Since getting married I’ve built a “box spring” out of some spare 2x4s and 1x6s, (think like a pallet) and have the mattress on that. I’m in the middle of moving but will eventually build a traditional bed as well, but I’ll never give up the futon mattress!
Thanks, I think Ill switch too.

Santosh

@JamesGatz I've had a new Oeko Tex standard 100 certified inner spring / polyester mattress since May of this year, and I have felt dizzy and not myself ever since, although the firmness and positions are perfect.

Do you think that although it's Oeko Tex certified it could still cause this condition ?

I am REALLY considering a 100% cotton futon right on my hardwood floor with a cotton blanket and cotton pillows.

EvanHinkle

@JamesGatz I've had a new Oeko Tex standard 100 certified inner spring / polyester mattress since May of this year, and I have felt dizzy and not myself ever since, although the firmness and positions are perfect.

Do you think that although it's Oeko Tex certified it could still cause this condition ?

I am REALLY considering a 100% cotton futon right on my hardwood floor with a cotton blanket and cotton pillows.
Make the move! Cotton futon on the floor is the best sleep you’ll ever have!

Also, what are the springs made of in your current mattress? It’s always possible they’re conducting EMF while you sleep. Do you have a tendency to start off at a good temp, but feel like you get warmer and warmer as the night goes on? I had that for years with inner-spring, have never had it once since moving to futons directly on the floor.

Santosh

Also, what are the springs made of in your current mattress? It’s always possible they’re conducting EMF while you sleep. Do you have a tendency to start off at a good temp, but feel like you get warmer and warmer as the night goes on? I had that for years with inner-spring, have never had it once since moving to futons directly on the floor.

I get very hot and sweaty during the night, I toss and turn, have nightmares, and wake up with muscle pain and weakness.

Theta

@EvanHinkle

Do you know of an organic cotton futon?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals