MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

Nik665

“In a progesterone deficiency, we produce too much cortisol, and excessive cortisol causes osteoporosis, aging of the skin, damage to brain cells, and the accumulation of fat, especially on the back and abdomen.” Ray Peat
Yes it does! High cortisol makes some people gain fat as thei hunger skyrockets when stressed. For others though high cortisol does the opposite where they lose appetite due to stress and lose muscle meaning their body fat percentage ends up higher as muscle atrophies

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is a super delicious and healthy, low-fat meal for losing weight, and takes me less than ten minutes to make. I posted it in my new “Peating For One Recipes” thread on page one….

Attachments

• 7D497241-1FA4-4A1D-97F9-EB24199D985D.png
    7D497241-1FA4-4A1D-97F9-EB24199D985D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“RP: Yeah. And, some people wake up cyclically during the night. When I was counseling dieters, there were some very fat people who would wake up: one of them woke up every hour during the night. The other one, I think, was sleeping an hour and a half, or so. And I got them to set an alarm clock to wake themselves up about 5 or 10 minutes before their expected waking, and eat anything with carbohydrates (milk, or juice, or even a cracker or something), and to do that every hour. And, within a week, they were sleeping through the night, and then they were able to start losing weight. Those stress hormones that raise your temperature and pulse rate around dawn were also increasing the blood sugar ( in diabetics, they call it the dawn phenomenon). But it’s the result of the stress hormones that rise during the night. The darkness itself is causing stress, activating hormones. So, in the winter, people are more likely to have disturbed sleep, because of long nights. And getting extra carbohydrates late in the day can help you sleep longer without these episodes of…usually, its nightmares waking people up with a pounding heart.

HD: That’s the adrenalin, right ?

RP: Yeah.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When people go on extreme diets trying to lose weight, they lose maybe a pound or so the first day, but then they stop losing weight if they're eating much less than 1,000 Calories. Or on a total fast, they will lose nothing but muscle after the first day. That's because after about 12 to 24 hours, your liver has depleted its sugar stores, and at that point it starts turning your muscles and other tissues to sugar, and that would destroy your body very quickly.

So the thyroid adapts down under stress, and so the worse the stress is, or the more prolonged, the lower your thyroid gets. And that means that with aging, you tend to have accumulated so many stresses that your thyroid gets chronically depressed, and unless you give it the right signals to bring it back, it just stays there and gets lower and lower.

When your thyroid is low, you don't store sugar efficiently, and so you are very efficient about burning up your body slowly, but you aren't efficient at repairing it. And all you're doing is decaying at a slower rate when your thyroid is down. So what you want to do is stop the decay process and begin the repair process.” -Ray Peat

Gorillaquills

That will be great to look forward too!
Well just wanted to share an update. Well weight loss has not been very good, in fact, I have gained about 10 lbs even though I only eat two meals a day. When I first started, I started to lose some weight, then it stalled and my body responded by putting more on. Also I feel like I'm getting fatter and building more muscle. I know genetics have a ton to do with how people carry weight and lose weight and build muscle.

One thing I have noticed is that my strength has increased quite a bit.

Something I didn't tell ya was I started low dose TRT, and armor thyroid.

I feel like my set point has changed since I last did this. I think my body got smart.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Well just wanted to share an update. Well weight loss has not been very good, in fact, I have gained about 10 lbs even though I only eat two meals a day. When I first started, I started to lose some weight, then it stalled and my body responded by putting more on. Also I feel like I'm getting fatter and building more muscle. I know genetics have a ton to do with how people carry weight and lose weight and build muscle.

One thing I have noticed is that my strength has increased quite a bit.

Something I didn't tell ya was I started low dose TRT, and armor thyroid.

I feel like my set point has changed since I last did this. I think my body got smart.
Weight this gain does not necessarily equal fat gain. If you are getting stronger might that indicate muscle gain?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think fat develops around the abdominal organs during stress as a defensive measure, similar to the padding effect that you mention, for walking, sitting, and moving. Around joints, fat pads fill in spaces between tendons, muscles, and bones. When stress becomes too generalized, for example when we live in a toxic environment and eat toxic foods, that produce inflammation, then fat deposition can lose its simple mechanical function, and, especially when the stored fat is highly unsaturated, it can become an internal source of inflammation and toxicity. The polyunsaturated fats that contribute to inappropriate fat storage, producing prostaglandins and toxic free radicals, also interfere with good muscle development, and eventually lead to the sarcopenia of aging, in which the body’s muscle content shrinks as the fat content increases. A good layer of abdominal muscle, subtly padded by fat, produces the most attractive body contour.” – Ray Peat PhD

Gorillaquills

I think fat develops around the abdominal organs during stress as a defensive measure, similar to the padding effect that you mention, for walking, sitting, and moving. Around joints, fat pads fill in spaces between tendons, muscles, and bones. When stress becomes too generalized, for example when we live in a toxic environment and eat toxic foods, that produce inflammation, then fat deposition can lose its simple mechanical function, and, especially when the stored fat is highly unsaturated, it can become an internal source of inflammation and toxicity. The polyunsaturated fats that contribute to inappropriate fat storage, producing prostaglandins and toxic free radicals, also interfere with good muscle development, and eventually lead to the sarcopenia of aging, in which the body’s muscle content shrinks as the fat content increases. A good layer of abdominal muscle, subtly padded by fat, produces the most attractive body contour.” – Ray Peat PhD
I need to get my inflammation checked, ie. the gut.
I'm going to get a test done on my micrbiome from biomesight. We live in such a inflammation world. Are sesters had very little if any inflammation. Nowadays, inflammation is huge. I think if we fix the inflammation, the gut things start to align and work better.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I need to get my inflammation checked, ie. the gut.
I'm going to get a test done on my micrbiome from biomesight. We live in such a inflammation world. Are sesters had very little if any inflammation. Nowadays, inflammation is huge. I think if we fix the inflammation, the gut things start to align and work better.
PUFA seems to be a root cause, but yes other toxins in our food and environment would be the major other reason. My environment was a bigger factor than I could have ever imagined, and ridding fluoride was a major key to getting my health back. Supplements were counter productive too. Fixing those things got my body able to fight off anything and everything now, including weight gain.

Gorillaquills

PUFA seems to be a root cause, but yes other toxins in our food and environment would be the major other reason. My environment was a bigger factor than I could have ever imagined, and ridding fluoride was a major key to getting my health back. Supplements were counter productive too. Fixing those things got my body able to fight off anything and everything now, including weight gain.
Pufa is a big deal for sure. I always drink filtered water now days. Especially nowadays.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“This is exactly what the study below found. By the second week of embarking on a keto diet, the balance between fat oxidation and fat storage starts to get heavily skewed in favor of the latter and the organism develops obesity and diabetes (II). That alone should be enough to give every keto follower a pause. Namely, the low-carb diets do not work even for the basic goal of fat loss, and will in fact make a person even fatter than before embarking on the diet. On top of that, the effects of chronically upregulated fatty acid oxidation (FAO) as well as fat storage are a separate and highly detrimental aspect of low-carb diets and has been implicated in virtually all chronic degenerative conditions but especially cancer, CVD, and neurological disorders.”

Gorillaquills

“This is exactly what the study below found. By the second week of embarking on a keto diet, the balance between fat oxidation and fat storage starts to get heavily skewed in favor of the latter and the organism develops obesity and diabetes (II). That alone should be enough to give every keto follower a pause. Namely, the low-carb diets do not work even for the basic goal of fat loss, and will in fact make a person even fatter than before embarking on the diet. On top of that, the effects of chronically upregulated fatty acid oxidation (FAO) as well as fat storage are a separate and highly detrimental aspect of low-carb diets and has been implicated in virtually all chronic degenerative conditions but especially cancer, CVD, and neurological disorders.”
Yeah I've never wanted to follow keto and I don't think it seems right even logically to do something like that. Even our closest relatives the chimpanzee eat fruit and leaves. They don't eat fat all day long. It just doesn't make sense. And occasionally they kill another monkey so they can get protein to keep muscle repair and other parts of the body operating and functioning. Eating a stable diet with just enough saturated fat but more carbohydrates and protein. And making sure we get enough collagen or gelatin to make sure we keep tryptophan as low as possible.

Follow and raise advice by eating adequate carbohydrates, ample protein with just enough fat to maintain hormones. That's why he likes milk so much and orange juice. Makes perfect sense.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yeah I've never wanted to follow keto and I don't think it seems right even logically to do something like that. Even our closest relatives the chimpanzee eat fruit and leaves. They don't eat fat all day long. It just doesn't make sense. And occasionally they kill another monkey so they can get protein to keep muscle repair and other parts of the body operating and functioning. Eating a stable diet with just enough saturated fat but more carbohydrates and protein. And making sure we get enough collagen or gelatin to make sure we keep tryptophan as low as possible.

Follow and raise advice by eating adequate carbohydrates, ample protein with just enough fat to maintain hormones. That's why he likes milk so much and orange juice. Makes perfect sense.
My mother and father were on the Atkins diet their whole life, and had great results in the beginning, in their thirties, and they were always struggling with extra fat the rest of their lives, I know another family member that keeps it up without anymore results. It is so aging to the skin too, in all three people I know. It is that initial weight loss that is so convincing that it works, yet it never works like that again, but strangely they keep it up. I think it is because they get to eat a lot, which is a very appealing diet.

Gorillaquills

My mother and father were on the Atkins diet their whole life, and had great results in the beginning, in their thirties, and they were always struggling with extra fat the rest of their lives, I know another family member that keeps it up without anymore results. It is so aging to the skin too, in all three people I know. It is that initial weight loss that is so convincing that it works, yet it never works like that again, but strangely they keep it up. I think it is because they get to eat a lot, which is a very appealing diet.
I agree, people think they can just eat and eat and the weight will just come off cuz they're not eating carbohydrates. In actuality it's making things worse

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals