Minocycline Antibiotic Log And Constipation Woes

jyb

Re: Minocycline Antibiotic Log

Hey all... are you sure taking antibiotics such as doxy is safe long term? I had them prescribed as a standard acne/rosacea medication a while before I started Peating. It did reduce redness, but I think it came back when I stopped so the effect seemed temporary. However, I stopped because I read that it would also end up killing the good bacteria in the gut and thus change the gut profile to a worse one. I also looked on forums, some users report needing to up the dose after a while so that it remains effective due to bacterial resistance.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Well isn't this wonderful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3838321

Abstract

Serum concentrations of tetracycline hydrochloride and minocycline hydrochloride were compared when administered with water, milk, a meal, and 300 mg ferrous sulfate in two groups of eight volunteers. Absorption of both antibiotics was significantly decreased by administration with iron (77% inhibition with minocycline and 81% with tetracycline), milk (27% inhibition with minocycline, 65% with tetracycline), and food (13% inhibition with minocycline and 46% with tetracycline). The inhibitory effect on absorption with food and milk was significantly greater for tetracycline than for minocycline.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

peatarian

Charlie said:
No, I think want to push on. I am thinking this is the beginning of the die off. I can handle it, no biggie. The charcoal will be here tomorrow. I tried to get charcoal from around here, but everyone of them has other ingredients like antifreeze so I decided to take a pass.

If anything, I think this is a good sign. Unless, I am actually getting the flu! :lol:

In my experience feeling bad is not a good sign. If this continues, please at least reduce the dosage.

peatarian

jyb said:
Hey all... are you sure taking antibiotics such as doxy is safe long term? I had them prescribed as a standard acne/rosacea medication a while before I started Peating. It did reduce redness, but I think it came back when I stopped so the effect seemed temporary. However, I stopped because I read that it would also end up killing the good bacteria in the gut and thus change the gut profile to a worse one. I also looked on forums, some users report needing to up the dose after a while so that it remains effective due to bacterial resistance.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=266

I noticed that ondansetron helps with rosacea. As for acne -- some people have found thyroid and vitamin A helpful. If you are a woman, progesterone in vitamin e oil topically is worth trying.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Do not drink milk with an antibiotic, I repeat, do not drink milk with or even near the time of taking an antibiotic. The calcium will bind with the antibiotic and lessen the effect.

I wish I would have known this before I started my course. Now that I have stopped the milk I am pretty positive the things will speed up now.

Day 6, still feeling a little tired, not too bad. Gums are looking pinker and pinker, less red. Stomach has lots and lots of rumbles. Maybe it's starting back up again? Just got my order of charcoal in and downed 3 tablespoons.

narouz

Charlie said:
Do not drink milk with an antibiotic, I repeat, do not drink milk with or even near the time of taking an antibiotic. The calcium will bind with the antibiotic and lessen the effect.

I wish I would have known this before I started my course. Now that I have stopped the milk I am pretty positive the things will speed up now.

Day 6, still feeling a little tired, not too bad. Gums are looking pinker and pinker, less red. Stomach has lots and lots of rumbles. Maybe it's starting back up again? Just got my order of charcoal in and downed 3 tablespoons.

Hang in there, Charlie.
I posted this over in another thread:

The thing about this whole Peatian idea--
that trouble with the teeth and gums is related to or caused by overgrowth of bacteria in the stomach--
is that I don't really understand the mechanism of action.

I'm not sure that the phenomena of hurting teeth or loose teeth or bleeding or receding gums
should be analyzed as being caused by bacteria in those gums and teeth.

Seems more like Peat thinks that
when thing go wrong in the bowels--
bacterial overgrowth--
then that lead to the usual suspects:
serotonin, estrogen, stress hormones.

And, in some kind of way I don't understand,
those bad guys affect the health of the mouth.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Thanks, narouz.

Yeh I read that. Will be really interesting to see the results of this "experiment".

peatarian

Charlie said:

Again, Charlie, I am really sorry. I thought it was common knowledge to not use antibiotics within half an hour of drinking milk. I should have mentioned it again.

peatarian

narouz said:
that trouble with the teeth and gums is related to or caused by overgrowth of bacteria in the stomach--

I'm not sure that the phenomena of hurting teeth or loose teeth or bleeding or receding gums

bacterial overgrowth--

You wrote this, narouz? You really don't get it or are you trying to see if others get it?
How can you be posting in another forum, too? You write novels here.

narouz

peatarian said:
narouz said:

bacterial overgrowth--

You wrote this, narouz? You really don't get it or are you trying to see if others get it?
How can you be posting in another forum, too? You write novels here.

Well, I guess writer's block is one thing I don't have to worry about.

No...I don't think I do get it.
Or maybe I do and I don't know it...? :roll:
I just mean that I really don't know the mechanism of action with the dental woes.
Some here would seem to be under the impression,
one I've been under myself and still consider possible,
that the tooth pains, gum problems, bleeding
are caused by bacteria in the gums and teeth.

Now I'm tilting toward thinking it is the bacteria in the intestines that needs killin',
and maybe there is not a bacterial problem in the gums/teeth.
Rather, the bacterial overgrowth in the intestines
causes serotonin, estrogen, stress hormones,
which in turn cause the dental problems.
Not bacteria in the gums and teeth.... :?:

Birdie

Interesting thoughts. Could be both.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Day 7, exhausted. Antibiotic is definitely kicking some bacteria butt, and mine too as well. :lol: Sleep hasn't been very good either the last 2 nights. Going to try and go to sleep super early tonight.

Gums looking slightly better, more pink, less red. Still definite red right around the tooth base. But I can see that it has improved. Going to attempt to stop taking cascara and see if any improvement there. No improvement on acne.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Btw, I did some more research and it looks like you should put at least 2 hours between any kind of calcium(milk, cheese, etc) and taking the antibiotic.... if you want the full effect/absorption of the antibiotic.

Oh and I also posted this in the quotes today:

Ray Peat said:
Some of the benefit from antibiotics probably results from the reduced endotoxin stress when intestinal bacteria are suppressed. However, antibiotics can kill the intestinal bacteria that produce vitamin K, so it’s important to include that in the diet when antibiotics are used.

Birdie

Good reminder on the vit K, Charlie.
This log will be a good reference for anybody taking antibiotics.
Hope you sleep better tonight.

narouz

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard the VK with antibiotics thing.
Very interesting reporting, Charlie.

narouz

Birdie said:
Interesting thoughts. Could be both.

Yes Birdie--I failed to include that simple point,
but I meant to. :)

narouz

Charlie-
Probably not the best thread for this,
but on the gum problem thing
I just noticed this exchange over on Danny Roddy's site,
his latest article and the responses to it:

Mark

"Great article Danny. Out of curiosity, do you have any references about about the efficacy of epsom salt baths for magnesium absorption? I have read some stuff out there suggesting that magnesium absorption from epsom salt baths is largely a myth, as skin doesn't allow it (http://saveyourself.ca/article.... Would be great to hear your thoughts."

Kamran

"I've been playing around with my magnesium intake via magnesium oil and my teeth are noticeably stronger and my blood sugar issues have definitely stabilized better since using magnesium. My eyelids don't twitch all day anymore either, which is great. You can definitely absorb minerals through the skin."

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Thanks narouz.

Well, I am drinking a quart of OJ a day, along with about 4 cups of coffee. I hope that is covering my magnesium.

BTW, how do you tell if your teeth are stronger?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals