Minocycline Antibiotic Log And Constipation Woes

kettlebell

Re: Minocycline Antibiotic Log

Combie said:
j. said:
Narouz, I think what he said is that when carotene is not converted to Vit A, it acts like a pufa, and that low thyroid people have difficulty converting carotene to vitamin A.

Yeah thats basically what i took from it. Chris Masterjohn has written about it too..

So converting it to Vit A is the key, not necesarily avoiding it altogether. If you are chronically hypo, then there are better option s for A. But if you can eat it and not go yellow, then might be a good food.

Seems to me that it exacerbates rather than causes...

The problem of converting it to Vitamin A is that the conversion is very wasteful of B vitamins which isn't ideal.

narouz

“Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or ‘aerobic’ (i.e. anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, or mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of a stimulating life.”

--Dr. Peat
http://180degreehealth.com/2011/05/ray-peat-–-protein-and-vegetarian-diets

J

j.

narouz said:
"Yes, it's definitely hard to get them coordinated when there's an imbalance in one direction or the other. For several years, when I had an extremely high metabolic rate, I needed 100,000 units per day during sunny weather to prevent acne and ingrown whiskers, but when I moved to a cloudy climate, suddenly that much was too much, and suppressed my thyroid. The average person is likely to be hypothyroid, and to need only 5,000 units per day. Avoiding large amounts of carotene, and getting plenty of vitamin B12 to be able to convert any carotene that's in your food, helps to use vitamin A efficiently."

-Dr. Peat @ DRoddy

How does one know that one is consuming too much vitamin A, if one is supplementing it, other than by feel? Does the skin stop absorbing it automatically when the body has enough?

narouz

"Sweet potatoes contain cyanogenic glycosides. This is a thyroid toxin which can inhibit TPO and could prevent the activation of thyroid hormones (source Chris Masterjohn, Thyroid Toxins report).

Listening to Peat's interviews, it seems like he thinks sweet potatoes can be okay in small doses if very well cooked, but as others have pointed out, regular potatoes are prefereable.

I had a similar experience as Sebian. I felt better cutting all sweet potatoes from my diet. I was actually eating exclusively very, very sweet Japanese sweet potatoes (not the oragne North American kind). I probably ate way to much (had it twice a day, as a main carb source) and I think it contributed negatively to low thyroid function, which was already low after a misguided stint on low carb."

Comment from a poster named "Edle"
@ http://peatarian.com/?qa=547/potato-vs-sweet-potato

narouz

kettlebell said:
Combie said:
j. said:
Narouz, I think what he said is that when carotene is not converted to Vit A, it acts like a pufa, and that low thyroid people have difficulty converting carotene to vitamin A.

Yeah thats basically what i took from it. Chris Masterjohn has written about it too..

So converting it to Vit A is the key, not necesarily avoiding it altogether. If you are chronically hypo, then there are better option s for A. But if you can eat it and not go yellow, then might be a good food.

The problem of converting it to Vitamin A is that the conversion is very wasteful of B vitamins which isn't ideal.

kettlebell--
I know you've listened to the East-West interview about milk recently.
I think that was where I heard Peat explain how carotene poses a danger--
something about carotene "mimicking" something...? :roll:

Combie

narouz said:
"Sweet potatoes contain cyanogenic glycosides. This is a thyroid toxin which can inhibit TPO and could prevent the activation of thyroid hormones (source Chris Masterjohn, Thyroid Toxins report).

Listening to Peat's interviews, it seems like he thinks sweet potatoes can be okay in small doses if very well cooked, but as others have pointed out, regular potatoes are prefereable.

I had a similar experience as Sebian. I felt better cutting all sweet potatoes from my diet. I was actually eating exclusively very, very sweet Japanese sweet potatoes (not the oragne North American kind). I probably ate way to much (had it twice a day, as a main carb source) and I think it contributed negatively to low thyroid function, which was already low after a misguided stint on low carb."

Comment from a poster named "Edle"
@ http://peatarian.com/?qa=547/potato-vs-sweet-potato

Its very individual this one i think. Experiment begins...

gabriel79

What I´ve understood (I don´t remember Peat explaining exactly what´s bad about carotenes) is that carotene, same as Vitamin A, is quite unstable (it´s an unsaturated hydrocarbon, instead of a PUFA, but seems to share some properties). For example, it´s been shown that Vitamin E increases it´s oxidation stability against heat/light. So it probably consumes (like PUFA) your Vit E stores to keep it stable. Vit A may have some those problems, but on the other hand it´s needed for the manufacturing of all the steroid hormones and other processes; while carotene, unless converted to Vit A in your intestine, is pretty useless. So it would be an oxidative burden without any benefit like Vit A.

kettlebell

narouz said:
kettlebell said:
Combie said:
j. said:

kettlebell--
I know you've listened to the East-West interview about milk recently.
I think that was where I heard Peat explain how carotene poses a danger--
something about carotene "mimicking" something...? :roll:

Hi Narouz, Correct - It mimmicks PUFAs.

Carotene is also unsaturated and has many of the negative effects of PUFA so it is best avoided. Thats why carrot juice is such a bad idea. Raw carrots or carrot salad are the exception because consuming the carotene while its still in the carrot stops its absorbtion.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Interesting quote I found while searching today:

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Besides being an ecologically favorable source of calcium, protein, sugar, and fat, the composition of milk causes it to be digested efficiently, supporting the growth of bacteria that are relatively safe for the intestine and liver, and reducing the absorption of endotoxin.

Combie

Charlie said:

Ray Peat said:
Besides being an ecologically favorable source of calcium, protein, sugar, and fat, the composition of milk causes it to be digested efficiently, supporting the growth of bacteria that are relatively safe for the intestine and liver, and reducing the absorption of endotoxin.
Good find Charlie! adds some credibility to my experiment a little bit I think

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Yep, quite interesting indeed. So, it would seem that something like a little jump start kefir would be OK.

Combie

Charlie said:
Yep, quite interesting indeed. So, it would seem that something like a little jump start kefir would be OK.
He does say, "if you're going to live in a world with bacteria, you may as well get used to them". I need to grow a load of kefir.

narouz

Charlie said:

Ray Peat said:

Notice Peat says, "relatively safe."
He doesn't say "ideal" or "desirable."

I don't mean to quibble--this IS a murky area of Peat.
(perhaps deserving of a place at the table in my oft-envisioned
"World's Greatest Unsolved Peat Mysteries"...!)

As I've said, Peat doesn't seem ever to have met
an entero bacteria he likes.
And he seems to like the idea of the mice with "sterile guts"
he has discussed.
And he "occasionally" takes antibiotics himself.
And he never seems to recommend small amounts of kefir or yogurt,
for the reason of maintaining "healthy bacteria."

On the other hand,
and especially if you're someone who has just finished a course of antibiotics,
and is thinking along the reasonable lines of:
well...isn't it kinduv inviting to the bad guys (c. difficile and their ilk)
to have nothing living down there?
Wouldn't it be better to have some "relatively safe" bacteria populating the tract,
just so the niche would not be so vulnerable to other, unsafe bacteria?

I just don't know.
I took a little kefir every day for about a week after my hospital/antibiotic blow-out.
But it would seem that Peat thinks all bacteria create endotoxin.

The way I usually tend to interpret Peat on this matter
is to view Peat as thinking that a completely sterile gut is not possible, over time,
and therefore to think that his goal is more like a policy of containment.
Thus the daily carrot or the occasional antibiotic use.
He has said that the bacteria don't belong in the upper digestive tract.
So maybe he just shoots for keeping them contained and minimal
down in the lower bowels.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I have been off milk for 5 days now, still constipated.

Rachel

Charlie said:
Gonna work on a new source of coffee, just gotta get to the big city for that unless someone can recommend something online, preferably whole bean as I want to grind fresh each time.
Ruta Maya coffee is delicioso - grown in Mexico and roasted daily in Austin, TX. It's really smooth and an excellent price. It's $17.50 a kilo or $38.95 for a 5 lb. bag.
Shade-Grown by a cooperative of farmers in Chiapas, Mexico, Ruta Maya® Certified Organic Coffee includes Medium, Dark, Espresso and Decaf Roasts.
http://www.rutamaya.net/store/ruta-maya ... -coffee-3/ :thumbup:

Combie

Charlie said:
Augmentin and Bamboo shoots for the win mate :)

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Rachel said:
Charlie said:
Gonna work on a new source of coffee, just gotta get to the big city for that unless someone can recommend something online, preferably whole bean as I want to grind fresh each time.
Ruta Maya coffee is delicioso - grown in Mexico and roasted daily in Austin, TX. It's really smooth and an excellent price. It's $17.50 a kilo or $38.95 for a 5 lb. bag.
Shade-Grown by a cooperative of farmers in Chiapas, Mexico, Ruta Maya® Certified Organic Coffee includes Medium, Dark, Espresso and Decaf Roasts.
http://www.rutamaya.net/store/ruta-maya ... -coffee-3/ :thumbup:

Right on! I will check it out. Mexico has good coke, why wouldn't they have good coffee? :lol: Thank you Rachel.

Combie said:
Charlie said:
Augmentin and Bamboo shoots for the win mate :)

Bamboo never has done anything for me but will try it again. No more antibiotics for me for a while! :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Was researching constipation today and ran across Paul Jaminets blog post on constipation. The cascara I am using has "senna" in it. Well, from further research, this is BAD BAD BAD and most likely what has kept me in a chronic constipation state. So I will be stopping the Dr. Schulzes Intestinal Formula immediately and will never use it again. Need to work on getting some pure cascara. But in the meantime I will use magnesium citrate to clear things out, and then work on getting an enema system going.

Now, thinking back, I ate too much cheese for a while there, having to take this senna laced stuff for a long time because of the cheese, and now, I am dependent on it. Uggggggh. Just hope I can get over this dependency, nerve damage thing. :(

Here is was Paul had to say about Senna, and also, his page on constipation seems to be pretty good as he also says that low thyroid function is the number one cause of constipation. So its worth reading his post if you are having constipation problems.

Paul Jaminet said:
Don’t over-use laxatives

It can be risky to over-use laxatives. The riskiest is probably senna, which promotes bowel movements by (a) inhibiting water absorption by the colon and (b) promoting muscle spasms in the colon wall. Unfortunately, senna is a toxin that can cause lasting damage, notably to nerves.

If you must use laxatives, magnesium citrate liquids are the best. This will restore your body’s magnesium status as well as promote clearing of the bowels.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/04/ca ... stipation/

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If I could get ahold of Dr Schulze right now! :smack This senna is some wicked stuff. It throws the electrolytes off in the body because it stops the intestines from absorbing potassium and stuff like that. Low potassium can cause a messed up heart beat!! :eek: The last few days I have been craving, actually more then craving, starving for, potatoes. Today I gave in and ate a couple because I felt like I really needed it. Low and behold potatoes are full of potassium. Last night after I took a dr schulzes pill, I notice my body all of a sudden starts dumping water, I was peeing every two hours all night. This sh*t is causing havoc on my body. Now I have to somehow dig myself out of the dependency of senna that destroys nerves in the colon, and get my electrolytes back in check. Any ideas?

Tomorrow, I am doing one more clean out with magnesium citrate. I need to get whatever senna is in my intestines, OUT! Then, I will be purchasing an enema and use that for any relief from here on out.

I am relieved a bit, but still a little pissed I did this to myself. ugggggh

Combie

I think cheese is a big culprit. Since I reintroduced it the bamboo magic has diminished somewhat. Not totally bunged up but no perfect poos either. Feel heavier, more sluggish, more brain fog. Gonna finish up my cheese and cream today and call it a fail. Calcium has been a revelation though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals