Methylene Blue Have Strong Anti Inflammatory Properties , So It Can Stop Muscle Growth ?

I read here that Methylene blue is a potent Anti-inflammatory so like all Anti-inflammatory it can stop muscle growth ?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I read here that Methylene blue is a potent Anti-inflammatory so like all Anti-inflammatory it can stop muscle growth ?

Proper muscle growth occurs due to improve mitochondrial function from concentric exercise and increase in androgen receptor sensitivity and synthesis. NSAID drugs are known to be anabolic in older people (60+ years).
Prostaglandin and myokine involvement in the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting drug enhancement of skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in ol... - PubMed - NCBI

Most of the "muscle growth" you see in bodybuilders using AAS is actually water retention caused by estrogenic effects of aromatizable AAS they use. When using "dry" steroids like DHT and its derivatives, the muscle growth is much less in terms of volume but is true muscle growth and not just water retention.

BeHealthy

Proper muscle growth occurs due to improve mitochondrial function from concentric exercise and increase in androgen receptor sensitivity and synthesis. NSAID drugs are known to be anabolic in older people (60+ years).
Prostaglandin and myokine involvement in the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting drug enhancement of skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in ol... - PubMed - NCBI

Most of the "muscle growth" you see in bodybuilders using AAS is actually water retention caused by estrogenic effects of aromatizable AAS they use. When using "dry" steroids like DHT and its derivatives, the muscle growth is much less in terms of volume but is true muscle growth and not just water retention.

@haidut this is very helpful. For years I've thought that optimal muscle growth/adaptation required oxidative stress and catabolism in order for the target muscle to receive the necessary stimulus for optimal growth. I would appreciate any additional clarification that you could share with me, as I may need to change my training protocol.

Will I be limiting the potential for muscle growth from my training sessions from my intake of anti-inflammatories, anti-stress foods/vitamins/proteins, and anti-catabolics as are typical in the Ray Peat diet?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut this is very helpful. For years I've thought that optimal muscle growth/adaptation required oxidative stress and catabolism in order for the target muscle to receive the necessary stimulus for optimal growth. I would appreciate any additional clarification that you could share with me, as I may need to change my training protocol.

Will I be limiting the potential for muscle growth from my training sessions from my intake of anti-inflammatories, anti-stress foods/vitamins/proteins, and anti-catabolics as are typical in the Ray Peat diet?

Thank you in advance.

I think aspirin would be fine as it also inhibits cortisol synthesis, which would be very helpful effect for muscle growth. Yes, inflammation triggers growth, but not of the good kind. Some companies even sell arachidonic acid since it was shown to stimulate muscle cell proliferation and they thought "oh, how cool, bodybuilders would be all over it". Of course, they forget to mention that it would also stimulate proliferation in pretty much any organ/tissue it hits, but you don't see them advertising its liver-increasing, spleen-increasing, prostate-increasing, etc effects.

BeHealthy

I think aspirin would be fine as it also inhibits cortisol synthesis, which would be very helpful effect for muscle growth. Yes, inflammation triggers growth, but not of the good kind. Some companies even sell arachidonic acid since it was shown to stimulate muscle cell proliferation and they thought "oh, how cool, bodybuilders would be all over it". Of course, they forget to mention that it would also stimulate proliferation in pretty much any organ/tissue it hits, but you don't see them advertising its liver-increasing, spleen-increasing, prostate-increasing, etc effects.
@haidut Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful. You must write a book, as what you're offering completely upends the way many think about (most things for that matter, but relevant to this conversation) muscle growth. Mant consider anti-inflammatories and antioxidants to impede muscle growth, as they believe that inflammation, oxidative stress, catabolism etc. are imperative responses to mechanical overload/disruption during exercise in order for anabolic signaling and optimal hypertrophy to occur.

Here are a two references from typically reputable sources:

Inflammation: the major regulator of muscle growth nobody talks about

Your Supplements Are Killing Your Gains

This was my understanding for years, so thanks again for helping me to delve deeper - I'll have to keep reading for more understanding, as this is very new insight.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Thank you for your reply. It's very helpful. You must write a book, as what you're offering completely upends the way many think about (most things for that matter, but relevant to this conversation) muscle growth. Mant consider anti-inflammatories and antioxidants to impede muscle growth, as they believe that inflammation, oxidative stress, catabolism etc. are imperative responses to mechanical overload/disruption during exercise in order for anabolic signaling and optimal hypertrophy to occur.

Here are a two references from typically reputable sources:

Inflammation: the major regulator of muscle growth nobody talks about

Your Supplements Are Killing Your Gains

This was my understanding for years, so thanks again for helping me to delve deeper - I'll have to keep reading for more understanding, as this is very new insight.

It is well-known that anti-inflammatory drugs have anabolic effects in older humans, in whom inflammation is even higher. Why is that if inflammation was so key for (good) growth?
Ibuprofen or acetaminophen in long-term resistance training increases muscle mass/strength
https://www.longecity.org/forum/top...-25-to-50-more-muscle-growth-in-older-adults/
The testosterone effect of ibuprofen
Influence of acetaminophen and ibuprofen on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in older adults
"...Drug consumption did not influence the size of the nonresistance-trained hamstring muscles (P > 0.05). Over-the-counter doses of acetaminophen or ibuprofen, when consumed in combination with resistance training, do not inhibit and appear to enhance muscle hypertrophy and strength gains in older adults. The present findings coupled with previous short-term exercise studies provide convincing evidence that the COX pathway(s) are involved in the regulation of muscle protein turnover and muscle mass in humans."

BeHealthy

It is well-known that anti-inflammatory drugs have anabolic effects in older humans, in whom inflammation is even higher. Why is that if inflammation was so key for (good) growth?
Ibuprofen or acetaminophen in long-term resistance training increases muscle mass/strength
https://www.longecity.org/forum/top...-25-to-50-more-muscle-growth-in-older-adults/
The testosterone effect of ibuprofen
Influence of acetaminophen and ibuprofen on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance exercise in older adults
"...Drug consumption did not influence the size of the nonresistance-trained hamstring muscles (P > 0.05). Over-the-counter doses of acetaminophen or ibuprofen, when consumed in combination with resistance training, do not inhibit and appear to enhance muscle hypertrophy and strength gains in older adults. The present findings coupled with previous short-term exercise studies provide convincing evidence that the COX pathway(s) are involved in the regulation of muscle protein turnover and muscle mass in humans."

Wow, this is incredible information. It's amazing how backwards some of the longest held ideas can be. Thank you for sharing this with me - I'm currently rethinking my entire nutrition program as a result of your help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals