Ray Peat’s Methylene Blue Experience, And Optimal Dose Of Methylene Blue According To Ray Peat

Logan-

In John Barkhausen’s “Politics and Science podcast”, the topic was evolution. The recording is dated 2015.03.04.

At around 1:18:00, someone asks Ray about his methylene blue experience. He says he takes Methylene Blue transdermally. He also says that “quite a few people are having very powerful anti-depressant effects from it with just one miligram a day. I think it is going to be effective at doses analogous to thyroid hormone – 20, 30, 40 micrograms I think might be the optiomal dose of Methylene Blue”.

Just before that sentence, he says: “my approach to understanding new chemicals is to find what the smallest amount does and then work up in stages, and so far, I see it as a good anti-inflammatory.”

So he uses MB transdermally, and uses very small doses.

What do you think?

Andman

Thanks for the quotes, after a few unpleasant experiments i also keep the MB dosage very low

I've already asked in another MB tread about dilution of MB powder and got no answer. Will ask again here. I have MB powder and I need someone to verify my calculations.
Every ml of water has 20 drops. I want 500 mcg of MB per drop. So it means I have to dilute 10.000 mcg in each ml. I have 30ml eye dropper flask. 300mg of MB powder per 30ml of water, right?

This doesn't answer your powder dilution request, however, it's good for posterity. Quoting from a review of the Kordon 2.3% product on Amazon:

Started today, but I figured the drop dosing would be like this, although I can be wrong, so better do your own math:
From the Manufacturer
Contains zinc free, chloride salt of Methylene Blue. Provided as a 2.303% water solution.
- This means, for every 100ml, there is 2.303gr of the substance (mb)
- 1ml of the solution, will have 0.02303gr of the substance (divide by 100)
- 1ml is estimated to be 20 drops.
- So, 1 drop of this solution would have 0.0011515gr of substance (divide by 20)
and 0.0011515gr = 1.1515mg (milligram)
Therefore, 1 drop of this solution will supply you with 1.1515mg of Methylene Blue.
If you need lesser dosage, you can say put 1 drop to a glass of water, and throw away one half, you will have 0.57mg, and so on.

This doesn't answer your powder dilution request, however, it's good for posterity. Quoting from a review of the Kordon 2.3% product on Amazon:
Thanks. Ive made already two dilutions I believe they are 500mcg and 50mcg per drop. 50mcg once a day feels great, I can feel improvements and I crave more. Literally crave a couple of drops more.

Ignatius

I wonder could responding poorly to a 0.5 - 1mg dose of methylene blue be indicative of anything. Excess serotonin perhaps?

inthedark

I wonder could responding poorly to a 0.5 - 1mg dose of methylene blue be indicative of anything. Excess serotonin perhaps?

I think so. I've found small doses of Metergoline -a serotonin antagonist- will reduce the headaches I reliably get the next day from .5mg MB. I think this indicates serotonin is involved to some extent.

postman

Yeah I remember it, he spoke about methylene blue on a radio show once and then people on forums and facebook groups started taking 100x the dose he suggested, getting the serotonin raising MAOI effect instead of the anti-inflammatory effect you want. And then the usual suspects started selling high dose methylene blue supplements.

golder

Can you remember what KMUD radio show he spoke about it on, and can you recall what dosage he recommended? 0.5mg?

J

jb116

Can you remember what KMUD radio show he spoke about it on, and can you recall what dosage he recommended? 0.5mg?
Check out the "Nitric Oxide" "Current Trends On Nitric Oxide" and "You are what you Eat" episodes

golder

40mcg is going to be diffuclut to dose with Georgi's Oxidal being 400mg per drop? Are people really diluting 1 oxidal bottle into 10 bottles?

golder

Pretty sure you mean 400mcg
Someone said ray thinks 40mcg is probably optimal?:
At around 1:18:00, someone asks Ray about his methylene blue experience. He says he takes Methylene Blue transdermally. He also says that “quite a few people are having very powerful anti-depressant effects from it with just one miligram a day. I think it is going to be effective at doses analogous to thyroid hormone – 20, 30, 40 micrograms I think might be the optiomal dose of Methylene Blue”.

Oxidal is 0.4mg per drop, aka 400mcg, aka ten times rays rough ideal dosage? Have I made a mistake?

J

jb116

Someone said ray thinks 40mcg is probably optimal?:

Oxidal is 0.4mg per drop, aka 400mcg, aka ten times rays rough ideal dosage? Have I made a mistake?
Referring to you had written 400mg per drop. Should be 400mcg.

Mauritio

Does somebody actually take the dosages recommended by ray (20-40mcg) ?
If so how does it differ to 200-500mcg or more?

Layne

I want 500 mcg of MB per drop. So it means I have to dilute 10.000 mcg in each ml. I have 30ml eye dropper flask. 300mg of MB powder per 30ml of water, right?

Right. What's more common is to buy 1 gram packets online, and then mix it with 100 grams of filtered water to get 1% MB. 100 grams is also equivalent to 100 ml.

Base formula after mixing it like this: -- 1 drop of 1% MB = .5 mg. (or 500 mcg) of 1% MB.

If someone is taking 1 mg. of the (very concentrated) dry powder MB, then that would be equivalent to 100 mg or 1% MB, or 200 drops.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals