SARS-COV-2 Infection: The Possible Preventative Role Of Methylene Blue

Terma

Potential interventions for novel coronavirus in China: A systematic review
Wu et al120 also reported that the oxidative stress in host cells was an important factor in the infectivity of human coronavirus 229E and the glucose‐6‐phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency was another factor that enhanced human coronavirus 229E infection. The addition of α‐lipoic acid to G6PD‐knockdown cells could attenuate the increased susceptibility to human coronavirus 229E infection.120 Interestingly, Baur et al121 also found that α‐lipoic acid was effective to inhibit the replication of HIV‐1. In summary, we speculate that ALA could be also used as an optional therapy for this new virus.
I suppose LA may also offset negative effects of MB in cancer therapy for those susceptible through similar reasoning.

Couldn't find a reason why everyone is ignoring NAC (I wouldn't take without glycine) as temporary treatment even though despite being relatively weak seems to fit the profile specifically a lung treatment, is in every hospital for tylenol overdoses and recycles C, and LA increases de-novo GSH via Nrf2 anyway (discussion in a study above), and some is required for the starvation of GSH pathogens idea in the MB article to hold.

Last edited:

Mossy

I suppose LA may also offset negative effects of MB in cancer therapy for those susceptible through similar reasoning.

Couldn't find a reason why everyone is ignoring NAC (I wouldn't take without glycine) as temporary treatment even though despite being relatively weak seems to fit the profile specifically a lung treatment, is in every hospital for tylenol overdoses and recycles C, and LA increases de-novo GSH via Nrf2 anyway (discussion in a study above), and some is required for the starvation of GSH pathogens idea in the MB article to hold.
Thanks for sharing.

By negative effects of MB, are you referring to serotonin?

Also, if you were to self-treat, you would take ALA, NAC, glycine, and MB?
(I'm attempting to formulate a plan B, if I can't get a hold of Losartan and Acetazolamide.)

Terma

That referred to the G6PD people or any condition with compromised NADPH production to begin with. Serotonin probably needs a dedicated antagonist but not going there unless it's an exceptionally safe chemical. I'll probably take steroids, not sure at what point. Yeah I share this because I'm going to use some of these when I inevitably get sick at home depending on severity because my hospital can be a parody and all I can hope for today is losartan, and losartan alone I assume won't help me enough, then drug complications. I've taken ALA + glycine + NAC high dose many times (these days I use high-dose serine instead as experiment), worst was feeling slightly off, ymmv. MB I'm not sure yet, might require too high dose but this article makes an interesting case.

Terma

Hope that works out
---

Slightly worried the corona trials will ignore blood sugar

According to mice ACE2 can be shed from cells and happens they used LA to prevent it:
α-Lipoic acid reduces neurogenic hypertension by blunting oxidative stress-mediated increase in ADAM17
We previously reported that type 2 angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE2) compensatory activity is impaired by the disintegrin and metalloprotease 17 (ADAM17), and lack of ACE2 is associated with oxidative stress in neurogenic hypertension. To investigate the relationship between ADAM17 and oxidative stress, Neuro2A cells were treated with ANG II (100 nM) 24 h after vehicle or α-lipoic acid (LA, 500 μM). ADAM17 expression was increased by ANG II (120.5 ± 9.1 vs. 100.2 ± 0.8%, P < 0.05) and decreased after LA (69.0 ± 0.3 vs. 120.5 ± 9.1%, P < 0.05). In another set of experiments, LA reduced ADAM17 (92.9 ± 5.3 vs. 100.0 ± 11.2%, P < 0.05) following its overexpression. Moreover, ADAM17 activity was reduced by LA in ADAM17-overexpressing cells [109.5 ± 19.8 vs. 158.0 ± 20.0 fluorescence units (FU)·min−1·μg protein−1, P < 0.05], in which ADAM17 overexpression increased oxidative stress (114.1 ± 2.5 vs. 101.0 ± 1.0%, P < 0.05). Conversely, LA-treated cells attenuated ADAM17 overexpression-induced oxidative stress (76.0 ± 9.1 vs. 114.1 ± 2.5%, P < 0.05). In deoxycorticosterone acetate (DOCA)-salt hypertensive mice, a model in which ADAM17 expression and activity are increased, hypertension was blunted by pretreatment with LA (119.0 ± 2.4 vs. 131.4 ± 2.2 mmHg, P < 0.05). In addition, LA improved dysautonomia and baroreflex sensitivity. Furthermore, LA blunted the increase in NADPH oxidase subunit expression, as well as the increase in ADAM17 and decrease in ACE2 activity in the hypothalamus of DOCA-salt hypertensive mice. Taken together, these data suggest that LA might preserve ACE2 compensatory activity by breaking the feedforward cycle between ADAM17 and oxidative stress, resulting in a reduction of neurogenic hypertension.
ACE2 is a membrane protein that can undergo shedding to release a catalytically active ectodomain from the cell surface in the extracellular milieu (23). The proteases involved in this process are called sheddases, and they control the biological activity of membrane proteins (10). A well-known sheddase is a disintegrin and metalloproteinase 17 (ADAM17), also called tumor necrosis factor-(TNF-α)-converting enzyme (1).

Studies have shown that ANG II induces ADAM17-mediated transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and hypertrophy of vascular smooth muscle cells (26). Other in vitro studies demonstrated that ROS are also able to activate ADAM17 in platelets, and this effect could characterize a limiting mechanism for platelet function (6). Furthermore, Nox4-mediated ROS production is required to increase ADAM17 expression and subsequent induction of cardiac hypertrophy (46).
But if Nox triggers this it's possible high-dose MB would have had a similar effect.

https://www.kidney-international.org/article/S0085-2538(15)49356-1/fulltext

Vinny

I've been doing 2x 100mg doses per day for 4 days now, so near that dose.
Wow!
Does, btw, your pee get really blue from such doses? Mine does, from much lower amounts, and I wonder if this effect is ok?

DrJ

Wow!
Does, btw, your pee get really blue from such doses? Mine does, from much lower amounts, and I wonder if this effect is ok?
Not really. In that time, I've only had 2 pees that were light green-ish in color.

tara

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yes, i read the article in french too.

They advise 75 mg three times a day.

Then i came back here and read the reactions of people to doses between 0.2 mg to 30 mg per day. It seems there's some remote danger of even very low doses of causing a serotonine syndrome, susceptible to send you to the ER, not exactly the safest place at the moment.

Has anyone on this forum ingested 225 mg per day of MB ?

This is actually very interesting. The article says the cancer patients were using MB. Does it have more information on why? It would be great if France is now using MB as an actual cancer treatment. It would mean medicine is moving in the right direction.

GorillaHead

Guys i am freaking out. Just learned ive been exposed to a person who tested positive for covid. Ive been taking olive leaf extract. Aged garlic extract, oregano, oleuprein and mushroom extracts before and during exposure. And now i just consumed 15mg of methylene blue

Inaut

@GorillaHead relax amigo. A woman from my work tested positive for it as well. She felt sick (flu like) for two days and felt fine afterwards. You will be fine.

GorillaHead

@GorillaHead relax amigo. A woman from my work tested positive for it as well. She felt sick (flu like) for two days and felt fine afterwards. You will be fine.

Ya i just hope i test negative its been 4 days since exposure. I Really dont want to be that person that goes snd tells other i was positive. Serious social anxiety

LLight

This is actually very interesting. The article says the cancer patients were using MB. Does it have more information on why? It would be great if France is now using MB as an actual cancer treatment. It would mean medicine is moving in the right direction.

Yes, it is for treating cancer.
But it's just one doctor (to my knowledge) doing that :):

OP
Mito

Mito

Application of methylene blue -vitamin C -N-acetyl cysteine for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients, report of a phase-I clinical trial
Abstract

COVID-19 is a global catastrophic event that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome. The mechanism of the disease remains unclear, and hypoxia is one of the main complications. There is no currently approved protocol for treatment. The microbial threat as induced by COVID-19 causes the activation of macrophages to produce a huge amount of inflammatory molecules and nitric oxide (NO). Activation of macrophages population into a pro-inflammatory phenotype induces a self-reinforcing cycle. Oxidative stress and NO contribute to this cycle, establishing a cascade inflammatory state that can kill the patient. Interrupting this vicious cycle by a simple remedy may save critical patients' lives. Nitrite, nitrate (the metabolites of NO), methemoglobin, and prooxidant-antioxidant-balance levels were measured in 25 ICU COVID-19 patients and 25 healthy individuals. As the last therapeutic option, five patients were administered methylene blue-vitamin C-N-acetyl Cysteine (MCN). Nitrite, nitrate, methemoglobin, and oxidative stress were significantly increased in patients in comparison to healthy individuals. Four of the five patients responded well to treatment. In conclusion, NO, methemoglobin and oxidative stress may play a central role in the pathogenesis of critical COVID-19 disease. MCN treatment seems to increase the survival rate of these patients. Considering the vicious cycle of macrophage activation leading to deadly NO, oxidative stress, and cytokine cascade syndrome; the therapeutic effect of MCN seems to be reasonable. Accordingly, a wider clinical trial has been designed. It should be noted that the protocol is using the low-cost drugs which the FDA approved for other diseases. TRIAL REGISTRATION NUMBER: NCT04370288.

Application of methylene blue -vitamin C -N-acetyl cysteine for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients, report of a phase-I clinical trial - PubMed

Lollipop2

Hey @Terma did you see this? They did a trial on MB, your NAC and Ascorbic Acid for Covid-19.

Application of methylene blue -vitamin C –N-acetyl cysteine for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients, report of a phase-I clinical trial - ScienceDirect

edit: Mito had posted it just above.

Lollipop2

Application of methylene blue -vitamin C -N-acetyl cysteine for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients, report of a phase-I clinical trial
Abstract

COVID-19 is a global catastrophic event that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome. The mechanism of the disease remains unclear, and hypoxia is one of the main complications. There is no currently approved protocol for treatment. The microbial threat as induced by COVID-19 causes the activation of macrophages to produce a huge amount of inflammatory molecules and nitric oxide (NO). Activation of macrophages population into a pro-inflammatory phenotype induces a self-reinforcing cycle. Oxidative stress and NO contribute to this cycle, establishing a cascade inflammatory state that can kill the patient. Interrupting this vicious cycle by a simple remedy may save critical patients' lives. Nitrite, nitrate (the metabolites of NO), methemoglobin, and prooxidant-antioxidant-balance levels were measured in 25 ICU COVID-19 patients and 25 healthy individuals. As the last therapeutic option, five patients were administered methylene blue-vitamin C-N-acetyl Cysteine (MCN). Nitrite, nitrate, methemoglobin, and oxidative stress were significantly increased in patients in comparison to healthy individuals. Four of the five patients responded well to treatment. In conclusion, NO, methemoglobin and oxidative stress may play a central role in the pathogenesis of critical COVID-19 disease. MCN treatment seems to increase the survival rate of these patients. Considering the vicious cycle of macrophage activation leading to deadly NO, oxidative stress, and cytokine cascade syndrome; the therapeutic effect of MCN seems to be reasonable. Accordingly, a wider clinical trial has been designed. It should be noted that the protocol is using the low-cost drugs which the FDA approved for other diseases. TRIAL REGISTRATION NUMBER: NCT04370288.

Application of methylene blue -vitamin C -N-acetyl cysteine for treatment of critically ill COVID-19 patients, report of a phase-I clinical trial - PubMed
LoL...I just posted it as well. Saw this 2 or 3 days ago. Definitely a step forward.