Aspirin Affect On Muscle Growth?

TheHound

I was reading the book anabolics by William Llewellyn and there's a quote that says

"Inhibition of the cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme with anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin, prevents the formation of active prostaglandins. The anabolic cascade is stalled without sufficient prostaglandin formation (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E551-6), interfering with the normal increase in protein synthesis rates after exercise. It is often advised to use such drugs only when necessary if muscle growth is a key focus. "

is this true?

Last edited:

Koveras

Inflammation, oxidation, histamine, nitric oxide, etc. all act as signalling molecules in exercise.

A lot of the studies showing impaired muscle recovery or progress however use the maximum daily dose of those drugs. Lower doses are probably fine.

In older individuals where baseline inflammation is higher, they have been shown to improve results.

DankMemes

Aspirin inhibits prostaglandin synthesis but this isn't the only factor contributing to muscle growth.

Think of all the untrained men out there who have larger muscle mass than women simply because they have more androgens. I imagine aspirin's aromatase inhibiting properties probably outweigh the "negative" effect of inhibiting prostaglandins.

I take 300mg aspirin 3x a day and I'm still gaining muscle slowly.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I don't know about hypertrophy, but my lifts are continuing to increase linearly, despite daily 300-600mg aspirin. His claim is one of absolutes. Polyphenols also inhibit PI3Ks, so we shouldn't drink coffee either? He does a disservice to the reader by not exploring the large number of variables involved. Net MPS changes when we add in whey protein post-exercise, or leucine-rich EAAs, leucine being the most potent oral mTORC1 activator that isn't a hormone. What about glycogen depletion post exercise, increasing insulin sensitivity and amino acid uptake? A net increase in anabolic signaling might offset the prostaglandin decrease, if it is of any statistical significance to a natural lifter anyway. From memory, all the prostaglandin/muscle growth hubbub is over PGF2 alone.

Last edited:

Soren

Forum Supporter
I lift regularly and at a reasonably intense level and take Aspirin every night. I would say that it has helped my muscle gains because it massively diminishes delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Since taking Aspirin every night I can't remember the last time I had DOMS.

Although I would not take it before a workout because if you somehow injure yourself it may cause more bruising or bleeding.

GAF

"Inhibition of the cyclooxygenase-2 enzyme with anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen,acetaminophen, or aspirin,prevents the formation of active prostaglandins.

I thought it was only aspirin that inhibits prostaglandins. Does Ibu & Acet inhibit them also?

bryguy

keep in mind llewelyn owns a company called molecular nutrition that sells an arachidonic acid supplement specifically touted to grow muscle soooo.....

javacody

I've read many bad things about NSAIDS and people generically apply these to aspirin.

Aspirin is not the same as NSAIDS. It works differently. NSAIDS were invented to make an aspirin substitute that drug companies could patent and actually make money from.

Unfortunately, their understanding of aspirin was flawed and they took a wrong turn with NSAIDS, which is why NSAIDS cause heart disease but Aspirin cures it.

I read a really interesting, in depth story about it somewhere. Too lazy to google it, but if you're interested, check it out.

Herbie

Ronny Coleman used to take Aspirin everyday, in a video of him he says “I ain’t got no headache but I take aspirin”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals