Megaspore warning

I've been having issues with heart palpitations and ramped up adrenaline and shortness of breath. I've been stumped on what it could be for about a month now. Until today when someone mentioned to me that megaspore probiotics (which I've been taking) can cause these problems. With a bit of YouTubeing, I've found that many other people have had this reaction as well. As I've seen megaspore suggested in a few "pro metabolic" spaces, I thought I'd go ahead and put a warning out because I wish I would have known this a month ago.
I've started taking activated charcoal, but not sure what else to do but wait it out. Any suggestions welcome.

haydenbce

wow really? I have been taking this for quite some time, hard to differ between symptoms as I have so much going on at the moment, hmm! thanks for this input

OP
eugenics4dumies
wow really? I have been taking this for quite some time, hard to differ between symptoms as I have so much going on at the moment, hmm! thanks for this input
No problem! I definitely don't think everyone has this reaction to it, but enough that I could dig up quite a few with a quick search online. Stay safe ❤️

I'm.No.One

They for sure made my teenage son's SIBO worse when he tried them, I was a pretty quick reaction too.

Have had amazing results with Amy Myers primal earth probiotics as they're soil based.

Grapelander

Probiotics Differentially Affect Permissive and Resistant Human Individuals
The marked and person-specific mucosal colonization resistance to probiotics noted in our study may explain the high variability in probiotics effects on the host or its microbiome noted in previous works (Kristensen et al., 2016). One important feature shown in our studies (Suez et al., 2018) to play a central role in impacting individualized probiotic mucosal colonization is the indigenous gut microbiome, which may drive the observed person-, strain-, and region-specific colonization resistance patterns to probiotics, as previously suggested (Maldonado-Gómez et al., 2016, Tannock et al., 2000). Similarly, we have recently demonstrated that person-specific variations in microbiome composition and function may contribute to the variability in glycemic responses to a variety of foods (Zeevi et al., 2015) and synthetic food supplements (Suez et al., 2014).

Perry Staltic

Have had amazing results with Amy Myers primal earth probiotics as they're soil based.

Contains clausii, subtilis and coagulens, which are pretty standard in most soil-based probiotics. I've had really good results with coagulens. Megaspore contains those 3 with the additional indicus and lichenifomis, which are difficult to find in any other product. So one or both of those 2 may be the problem.

I've used the UK branded one Cura Sporebiotics (same company and formula just different distribution) and their prebiotic and had no issues just to balance out the scales a bit. Saying that though, i'd never buy them again since the benefits were transient at best

karw

It's just a histamine reaction (mast cell activation). Well known in probiotics and spores. I was on MegaSporeBiotic, cut 1 pill up in 4 doses and took 1/4 every second day and built up the tolerance shortly. It took forever before I could handle 2 capsules a day.

conrad0602

I've used the UK branded one Cura Sporebiotics (same company and formula just different distribution) and their prebiotic and had no issues just to balance out the scales a bit. Saying that though, i'd never buy them again since the benefits were transient at best

Just to add to this that the formula for cura is the same, minus the b licheniformis

xeliex

Forum Supporter
It's just a histamine reaction (mast cell activation). Well known in probiotics and spores. I was on MegaSporeBiotic, cut 1 pill up in 4 doses and took 1/4 every second day and built up the tolerance shortly. It took forever before I could handle 2 capsules a day.
Sounds about right to me.

OP
eugenics4dumies
Sounds reasonable. Others were saying it took a month before they felt better. I can't imagine a month of this. Lord help me.

Perry Staltic

Sounds reasonable. Others were saying it took a month before they felt better. I can't imagine a month of this. Lord help me.

Have you tried an antihistamine? I read that someone was helped by that and taking a non-histamine producing probiotic.

OP
eugenics4dumies
Have you tried an antihistamine? I read that someone was helped by that and taking a non-histamine producing probiotic.
I've not had much use for (that I know of) antihistamines ever before. Do you have any recommendations? The only one I remember ever taking was Benadryl and it gave me sleep paralysis ? never again.

Perry Staltic

I've not had much use for (that I know of) antihistamines ever before. Do you have any recommendations? The only one I remember ever taking was Benadryl and it gave me sleep paralysis ? never again.

I don't use them. I just read that on the site of some guy that had the same problem as you. If you like I'll look for it again and post it.

GodsHound

Interesting.. Recently, I've had tachycardia, AFib, high blood pressure, shortness of breath. Never had anything like this before. Originally thought it could be hyperthyroid as I experimented with thyroid starting 2 months ago but my blood thyroid levels just came back fine. But a few weeks ago I took BioGaia Osfortis (L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475) for a week and it absolutely wrecked me, but didn't notice any cardio-symptoms until a few days after stopped the probiotics. I don't know anything about MegaSporeBiotic though so it might not be comparable.

OP
eugenics4dumies
Interesting.. Recently, I've had tachycardia, AFib, high blood pressure, shortness of breath. Never had anything like this before. Originally thought it could be hyperthyroid as I experimented with thyroid starting 2 months ago but my blood thyroid levels just came back fine. But a few weeks ago I took BioGaia Osfortis (L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475) for a week and it absolutely wrecked me, but didn't notice any cardio-symptoms until a few days after stopped the probiotics. I don't know anything about MegaSporeBiotic though so it might not be comparable.
Megaspore is a soil based probiotic which is a bit different, but maybe same mechanism leading to the symptoms. I've taken l reuteri and actually made a yogurt from it. I didn't notice any issues with it but who knows. This experience was enough for me to start being even more cautious with supplements, even when they seem pretty harmless. I hope you feel better soon. Anything helping your symptoms?

GodsHound

Megaspore is a soil based probiotic which is a bit different, but maybe same mechanism leading to the symptoms. I've taken l reuteri and actually made a yogurt from it. I didn't notice any issues with it but who knows. This experience was enough for me to start being even more cautious with supplements, even when they seem pretty harmless. I hope you feel better soon. Anything helping your symptoms?
I've found bag breathing and milk helpful. Ray has mentioned vitamins D, K, and calcium for stabilising heart rhythm.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals