Coffee Keeps Making Me Sick

aquaman

(graphic warning!)

For a while now I've had a noticeable immune reaction from coffee.

It causes bad post-nasal drip/mucous and makes me feel sick.

In the last month I've probably vomited 8-10 times within 30-60 minutes of drinking (fresh) coffee. Doesn't matter whether with or without food, with or without lots of sugar, cream, milk, long, short, etc.

It seems to cause delayed stomach emptying, because sometimes it's 2 hours post coffee and the food from the time feels like it's sitting right in my throat just waiting to come back out.

I had tried taking an antihistamine 30 mins before, which helps at times, sometimes not. I took 2 today and was sick just now.

Shame, because i'm addicted to the need to have one in the mid-morning.

sweetpeat

That's a real bummer. I'm assuming you've tried different brands? Maybe your coffee machine needs a good cleaning. There are also different ways of brewing coffee, like cold brew. Just some ideas off the top of my head...

G

gummybear

aquaman said:
(graphic warning!)

For a while now I've had a noticeable immune reaction from coffee.

It causes bad post-nasal drip/mucous and makes me feel sick.

In the last month I've probably vomited 8-10 times within 30-60 minutes of drinking (fresh) coffee. Doesn't matter whether with or without food, with or without lots of sugar, cream, milk, long, short, etc.

It seems to cause delayed stomach emptying, because sometimes it's 2 hours post coffee and the food from the time feels like it's sitting right in my throat just waiting to come back out.

I had tried taking an antihistamine 30 mins before, which helps at times, sometimes not. I took 2 today and was sick just now.

Shame, because i'm addicted to the need to have one in the mid-morning.

What about caffeine pills?

TWTFPSf.jpg

SQu

Poor digestion in the morning? I had a grape - just one - sit there, clearly nothing was happening at that time of day. Of course coffee seems to aid digestion and maybe that's why we want it in the morning. Have you tried just a sip or two at a time?

mt_dreams

Wow that's a lot of vomiting. It's weird that this just started happening, as I would imagine you have drank coffee in the past without this happening.

Have you tried different brands? Maybe you got a bad batch (mold?)
a couple of suggestion (unless you've already thought about these) would be trying different types of beans, giving freeze dried coffee a try, or for simplicity sake, switching over to coffee caffeine or its synthetic counterpart.

tara

I don't think you are the only person whose stomach gets irritated from coffee, though I've not heard of such strong reactions before.

Aspekt

I have issues with coffee that don't seem to have anything to do with glycogen, if I don't eat enough solid food with coffee it causes nausea/racing pulse rapidly. I seem to need at least 1 piece of fruit to stop my stomach being immediately irritated by it- i.e a some cheese and coffee with sugar and coffee isn't enough stomach content to prevent this irritation. Later on once the coffee is moving through the gut I get blotchy, itchy skin and a general feeling of high endotoxin. This isn't as much the case if I'm having it with solid meals, but there's still some underlying issues here I haven't been able to work out. My stomach seems to get irritated by acids and excess fat very easily, the carrot salad in vinegar on an empty stomach makes me feel bad, as do haribo gummy bears.

answersfound

pregnenolone allowed me to better tolerate coffee. but i don't know if this relates to your situation.

Myself and many other have coffee problems, and I don't think these varied coffee problems have been adequately studied. It does appear to be immune-related. There also seems to be a correlation between gluten-sensitivity and coffee issues (though not because coffee is contaminated with gluten).

I'm noticing the following pattern in this community's recommendations:
1) ingredient x is a problem for me based on my own body's feedback
2) why don't you try ingredient y + ingredient x

#2 is a silly response to default the common insight of #1. We should be removing ingredient x first, and at least waiting a considerable amount of time for re-introducing it.

Also note that all of the studies which have "coffee is good" outcomes probably do not require people who do not like coffee (for various reasons) to drink it. This is selection bias. So I recommend to people, "if you like coffee and do well on it, then you should drink it." That's the actual take-away from the studies: not "if you don't do well on coffee, then you should drink it anywhere or else you'll be worse off."

Well, I don't know if it's time to victimize coffe, since most coffee is moldy. Also Haribo gummy bears are coated in gum.

jyb

I find that my tolerance for coffee depends on what I fed myself in the last day or two. If I've been "well fed" in the last day, I would expect being able to drink expressos every 1-2 hours without food and without bad stressful reaction related to lack of fuel. It's not something I actively try to do, not eating while only drinking coffee, but its something I have done occasionally. For example, if I am away from home and without access to food I'd consider acceptable. Last night I had to travel very late and I enjoyed the effect the expressos until about 5am, without access to any food (I don't trust the cheap cream they use in coffee shops - it's probably loaded with gums, soy or whatever, and I don't take sucrose with coffee). A couple years ago, having a coffee like this would have led me to extreme jitteriness, it would be unthinkable to consider coffee. I consider coffee to have good effect if there is zero jitteriness, it feels good or not noticeable (maybe relaxing), and has no negative effect on being able to sleep or have a little nap.

It seems aquaman is talking about a different kind of reaction more like an allergy.

OP
A

aquaman

I've tried many brands of coffee, I get mine from coffee shops. Espresso, drip etc. Strangely African coffee seems to be the worst. (it has a slightly sweet, lemony flavour which tastes bad).

It's fresh coffee that does it. For a long while I've had the nasal drip reaction (probaly 3-4 years) from coffee, only recently has it consistently made me sick.

Freeze-dried i get the nasal drip still, not the sickness.

Anti-histamine helps to some degree. Strange thing is, it's started tasting worse and worse to me over time, like my mouth can taste it's wrong (I had this feeling that it's 50% poison come into my head a while back, but it's 50% amazing). But I'm addicted to the caffeine and the whole mental process of it. I associate it with "time-out" and getting mentall ready to do more work after.

If I eat soon after food in the morning (up to midday), that's the worst. Afternoon is better.

tara

aquaman said:
If I eat soon after food in the morning (up to midday), that's the worst. Afternoon is better.
Funny how we are different. I find eating soon after food all morning (up to midday) is the best for me, but not so good in the afternoon. :lol:

aquaman said:
I've tried many brands of coffee, I get mine from coffee shops. Espresso, drip etc. Strangely African coffee seems to be the worst. (it has a slightly sweet, lemony flavour which tastes bad).

It's fresh coffee that does it. For a long while I've had the nasal drip reaction (probaly 3-4 years) from coffee, only recently has it consistently made me sick.

Freeze-dried i get the nasal drip still, not the sickness.

Anti-histamine helps to some degree. Strange thing is, it's started tasting worse and worse to me over time, like my mouth can taste it's wrong (I had this feeling that it's 50% poison come into my head a while back, but it's 50% amazing). But I'm addicted to the caffeine and the whole mental process of it. I associate it with "time-out" and getting mentall ready to do more work after.

I don't know if I'm allowed to say, but have you tried first of all espresso machines (preferably with a lever or letting the water run until it's clear) then caffeine powder or Bulletproof beans brewed with some butter and sugar?

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
I don't know if I'm allowed to say, but have you tried first of all espresso machines (preferably with a lever or letting the water run until it's clear) then caffeine powder or Bulletproof beans brewed with some butter and sugar?

I would like an expresso machine at home. Preferably very heavy duty :lol:

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Pick :cool: :shock:

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Pick :cool: :shock:

Now, just need to save money and check the material used. I'm traumatised by Italian coffee stuff since the day I learnt my stove top moka is aluminium and study shows it leaches it hardcore in coffee.

I'm sure the high end gear is stainless steel... If you don't do well with coffee anyway, then I'd recommend buying something cheaper and to my tastebuds does just as well as a high-end espresso machine: Nespresso's $100 machine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals