Underweight 27 Y/o Female, Seeking Supp/med Guidance

bionicheart

Hi,
I'm a bit scatter brained and have spent hours on this forum this last week researching, but sure my mental state could use some guidance as I seem to have a habit of getting in trouble by focusing on the details and missing the whole picture! So, thanks for your patience,
I just discovered Ray Peat about a month ago.
I was a vegetarian (minus many vegetables) for 11 years, on birth control for 7 years until the brand i took discontinued (loestrin Fe) When I was around 21, I had any episode of ventricular tachycardia and received an internal automatic cardioverter defibrillator because my mom and aunt both had an AICD then later, heart transplants. Both are healthy weights and told it was "genetic." But I know they probably grew up with a lot of PUFAs instead of healthy fats.
The cardiologist put me on carvedilol to prevent arrhythmias. I was taking adderall for a couple years prior to the implant and i believe that in combination with binge drinking in college/poor nutrition caused the VT. After the implant, I became dependent on Klonopin for about 7 years, (1mg 1X daily). I started drinking excessively due to depression/anxiety and ended up in rehab. after a couple years of sobriety, I started vaping marijuana. I ended up vaping every night to quell anxiety and help me sleep from age 25 to currently. I keep trying to quit because I have lost a lot a weight, anxiety is worse/memory is terrible. I'm 5' 10" and weighed 126lbs up until a couple weeks ago (then started drinking more OJ and milk/ice cream) and I now weigh 129lbs. I started taking a benzo at night with benadryl a few months ago, but I want to stop with the benzos/marijuana. I'm too afraid to take thyroid because of my history of palpitations/panic attacks. my Periods are usually late and last about 3 days. I have OCD symptoms, acne and low sex drive (due to high serotonin I'm sure) My psych wants me to try mirtazapine (remeron) (for anxiety, sleep, appetite stimulant) and I wanted to know if I should try any other supplements first before committing to the psych drug. I always had terrible reactions to SSRI's and seasonal allergies.
(Also, I quit taking carvedilol (coreg) about a year ago because I discovered it can cause heart failure and made my blood pressure as low as 90/50, it was a shame though as it did help with my physical anxiety/panic symptoms.) I just want help achieving a healthy weight, avoid cardiomyopathy from developing, and overcome my anxiety/decrease serotonin and histamine. I went to my doc yesterday and asked if he would prescribe Cypro but he believes i need something for mood. I've also looked into Lithium but since it can effect magnesium and potassium I'm hesitant to try it because I don't want to create heart problems. (My ejection fraction is normal and my device has never shocked me, I only have mild mitral valve prolapse) I tried to do the Paleo/GAPS diet a year ago after undereating for 9 months (in school) but I ended up getting diagnosed with hypoglycemia and losing more weight. Now I'm drinking milk, OJ, cheese, still some wheat. Coffee turns me into an anxious mess....
I've had bulimia/anorexic tendencies in the past but marijuana has kept me TOO thin even if I ate an abundance of calories at night. Suffered with anemia for about 2 years, just came out of it after taking Blood Builder iron supplements...
I have been diagnosed with OCD, GAD so I have a tendency to go overboard with supplements... (like spending half my paycheck on them monthly)
Would any of the following help prevent heart issues, create hormonal balance for a female my age? progesterone, aspirin, vitamin d, vitamin e/a? I live in a sunny place but don't go out much because a lot of flat moles i've had started plumping up and changing (I think maybe because the MJ is estrogenic and my cortisol levels are high) Doc won't test my hormones because i'm not at the age of "menopause" and I'm still having my period so he thinks everything is anxiety based.
Currently taking 1mg xanax, and benadryl (25-50mg) and vaping a little thc at night. (want to eliminate all these!)
I'm also taking magnesium chloride, B1 (25mg a day) and a Pure Essence women's longevity multivitamin.
Sorry I'm kind of all over the place, I know I need to detox and eat sufficient calories, just worried about the safety of mirtazapine as I read it can cause fibrosis eventually....

Thanks in advance!

Orion

RP mentions that milk and OJ are a good start to getting off stress hormones. 2quarts low fat milk, and 1 quart OJ per day will provide sugar, calcium, magnesium, quality protein, b vitamins, minerals.

Add in lots of canning salt, ripe or cook fruits, gelatin. Weekly serving of liver or oysters for trace minerals. Supp with vitamins A/E/K and get sunshine on full body if possible.

Big meal before sleep, can aid sleep, keep juice on night stand for wakings. Fixing restorative sleep would be a number one goal.

Avoid or very small amounts of coffee until your liver can store more sugar, otherwise you will get the jitters like you mentioned.

Sucrates

That all screams high serotonin. Eating more carbs and protein is going to be necessary first and foremost.
I'm not sure of the profile of mirtazapine, seems cyproheptadine would likely be simpler to use. There are studies on cypro and mood, it also boosts appetite when that's suppressed by serotonin. Progesterone might be the most potent anti-serotonin substance in the way it affects the enzymes.

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

RP mentions that milk and OJ are a good start to getting off stress hormones. 2quarts low fat milk, and 1 quart OJ per day will provide sugar, calcium, magnesium, quality protein, b vitamins, minerals.

Add in lots of canning salt, ripe or cook fruits, gelatin. Weekly serving of liver or oysters for trace minerals. Supp with vitamins A/E/K and get sunshine on full body if possible.

Big meal before sleep, can aid sleep, keep juice on night stand for wakings. Fixing restorative sleep would be a number one goal.

Avoid or very small amounts of coffee until your liver can store more sugar, otherwise you will get the jitters like you mentioned.
Thanks so much for your reply @Orion
My mom had congestive heart failure so, I've been brainwashed by the whole "limit your salt," belief system. How much would you recommend adding per day? I was also told by a biochemist that sodium can make mitral valve prolapse worse, but I didn't investigate that, just took his word for it because of my family history... But I'm feeling better on the OJ and dairy so I'm very open minded now!
Thanks! :)

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

That all screams high serotonin. Eating more carbs and protein is going to be necessary first and foremost.
I'm not sure of the profile of mirtazapine, seems cyproheptadine would likely be simpler to use. There are studies on cypro and mood, it also boosts appetite when that's suppressed by serotonin. Progesterone might be the most potent anti-serotonin substance in the way it affects the enzymes.
Thanks! @Sucrates
I'm going to a different doctor next month so I'll see if he's open to cypro it instead of the mirtazapine.
I have some progestelle skin oil (800mg of pharmaceutical grade USP Natural Progesterone (from yams) per ounce of oil, mixed with coconut oil)
I used like 10 drops, every day for a week and didn't notice anything so abandoned it (tend to fear increasing any pill/supplement because of the irrational fear that everything except benzos creates more anxiety for me!)
it seems a lot of people on here recommend oral progesterone. I haven't been able to find any brand recommendations on here other than Progest-E... This is all still very new and overwhelming, do you have any recommendations for dosing, should I try what I already have or...? Thanks again!
(Your avatar is my favorite right now, btw haha.)

Orion

Thanks so much for your reply @Orion
My mom had congestive heart failure so, I've been brainwashed by the whole "limit your salt," belief system. How much would you recommend adding per day? I was also told by a biochemist that sodium can make mitral valve prolapse worse, but I didn't investigate that, just took his word for it because of my family history... But I'm feeling better on the OJ and dairy so I'm very open minded now!
Thanks! :)

Salt everything to taste. 1 tablespoon(15grams) is probably the high upper limit, but getting 1-5grams or 1 teaspoon per day could be a starting point.

These some articles that could help
Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity
Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fats-functions-malfunctions.shtml

I recommend reading through most of the articles on Ray's site, you will start to put together the bigger picture. One big idea is to keep unsaturated fat intake very low.

http://raypeat.com/articles/

OP
bionicheart

bionicheart

Salt everything to taste. 1 tablespoon(15grams) is probably the high upper limit, but getting 1-5grams or 1 teaspoon per day could be a starting point.

These some articles that could help
Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity
Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging
Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy
Fats, functions and malfunctions.

I recommend reading through most of the articles on Ray's site, you will start to put together the bigger picture. One big idea is to keep unsaturated fat intake very low.

Ray Peat
Thanks for narrowing it down for me, @Orion I have a lot of reading to do..!