Tianeptine causing heart palpitations

barefooter

I've been experimenting with tianeptine for about a week, and the last few days I've been getting some heart palpitations which seem to be a side effect, as I haven't changed anything else. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this and if I should wait and see if it goes away, or if I should just discontinue use immediately. I've been taking 3 x 12mg a day (morning, afternoon, evening). Also, back in the late spring when I tried cypro for a brief while, I also had heart palpitations, but at the time I assumed it was adrenaline from all the stress I was under. Now I'm wondering if there is something general about reducing serotonin that causes me to have palpitations.

D

Derek

This is very common side effect from serotonin antagonists. Probably why Ray says to only take these medications for 7-10 days at a time.

OP
B

barefooter

Derek said:
post 111811 This is very common side effect from serotonin antagonists. Probably why Ray says to only take these medications for 7-10 days at a time.
Okay, good to know. I'm going to stop taking it and focus more on non pharma ways of lowering serotonin.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derek

barefooter said:
post 111812
Derek said:
post 111811 This is very common side effect from serotonin antagonists. Probably why Ray says to only take these medications for 7-10 days at a time.
Okay, good to know. I'm going to stop taking it and focus more on non pharma ways of lowering serotonin.

Easily digestible food is the best way to lower serotonin. Other non drug options that come to mind are ceylon cinnamon and casein.

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

barefooter said:
I've been experimenting with tianeptine for about a week, and the last few days I've been getting some heart palpitations which seem to be a side effect, as I haven't changed anything else. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this and if I should wait and see if it goes away, or if I should just discontinue use immediately. I've been taking 3 x 12mg a day (morning, afternoon, evening). Also, back in the late spring when I tried cypro for a brief while, I also had heart palpitations, but at the time I assumed it was adrenaline from all the stress I was under. Now I'm wondering if there is something general about reducing serotonin that causes me to have palpitations.

I get the same thing from cypro.