Low Iodine Levels In Vast Majority Of Population?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Do you know how he tests for iodine deficiency?
It's something where you measure in the urine, and if your body excretes over 90% then you have sufficient levels but if it's under 90% you're deficienct as indicated by your body retaining it

BigBrain

i think those bad experience by some ppl are sign of detox symptoms if you take first time too much maybe too much toxins comes out and you get sicker by it. I dont know just a suggestion.

Andreas

50mg is excessive. I would never take that much. How long were you taking it for
I also believe it is excessive now afterwards but It´s not excessive according to the iodine doctors Dr Brownstein, Abraham and Flechas. I started with 6mg and worked my way up to 50mg. I probably did 50mg for 4 months.

Ell

Iodine is an essential nutrient, and those experiencing "problems" taking it, have other issues, perhaps deficiencies in the B vitamins, and/or trace transition metals, and/or excessive bromide load. I suggest for those ppl to have their di-bromotyrosine levels looked at. Having "problems" ingesting a necessary nutrient iodine/iodide, is on a fundamental level the same as if a person experienced "problems" eating calcium, sodium, etc. The problem is never with the nutrient itself, otherwise, it wouldn't be an essential nutrient. The problem is elsewhere, and blaming iodine is not the answer.

as if a person experienced "problems" eating calcium, sodium, etc. The problem is never with the nutrient itself, otherwise, it wouldn't be an essential nutrient. The problem is elsewhere, and blaming iodine is not the answer.

Right, but we cannot make statements like that without talking about quantity. No one is supposed to have problems taking in minerals...in the right quantity. If you take 50g of calcium you will probably have some serious problems. It doesn't seem that iodine is as tightly regulated or dose-critical as calcium, but there is probably still a point where the body says 'Alright, this is just over the top now.' It's not really a question of whether we need iodine, but a question of whether we need micrograms or milligrams.

HDD

PATRICK TIMPONE: Too much iodine that can actually lower the thyroid?

RAY PEAT: Yeah.

PATRICK TIMPONE: How do we know what’s a good amount of iodine?

RAY PEAT: Well, I have got a list of – I think it’s 70 articles that – from around the world looking at the incidence of thyroid cancer and thyroiditis. And they say that above 0.5 mg of iodine per day chronically increases the incidence of thyroid disease.

PATRICK TIMPONE: Oh! That’s not good; 0.5 mg, wow! That’s not a lot, is it?

RAY PEAT: No, but that is over a period of many years where it’s chronically high.

PATRICK TIMPONE: Okay. In other words, people are taking – you’d have to do it over many years to have an issue.

PATRICK TIMPONE: I want to know how many drops of Lugol’s – do you have any idea, like you do one drop, how many milligrams it is?

RAY PEAT: I think it’s a few milligrams.

PATRICK TIMPONE: Is it? So even when you do more than just a couple, I mean that’s it?

One Radio Network - Patrick Timpone: Dr. Peat Answers Questions Regarding Health, Diet And Nutrition Part 2

HDD

Is there a rational way to determine iodine deficiency or excess?

“It’s easy to recognize a chronic iodine deficiency, because it causes the thyroid gland to enlarge. Goiters can be caused in various ways, for example by being exposed to various goitrogens, including excess iodine, or by excessive estrogen and deficient progesterone, as well as by an iodine deficiency. “However, a chronic excess of iodine is harder to recognize, because it can produce a variety of degenerative changes. Measurement of the average daily iodine intake or excretion in the urine would be needed to confirm an excess. High iodine intake can suppress TSH, and since high TSH is pro-inflammatory, the iodine can have some protective anti-inflammatory actions, but in the long run, the thyroid suppression becomes a problem.”

The Myth of Iodine Deficiency: An Interview with Dr. Ray Peat – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

OP
ddjd

ddjd

“It’s easy to recognize a chronic iodine deficiency, because it causes the thyroid gland to enlarge. Goiters can be caused in various ways, for example by being exposed to various goitrogens, including excess iodine, or by excessive estrogen and deficient progesterone, as well as by an iodine deficiency. “However, a chronic excess of iodine is harder to recognize, because it can produce a variety of degenerative changes. Measurement of the average daily iodine intake or excretion in the urine would be needed to confirm an excess. High iodine intake can suppress TSH, and since high TSH is pro-inflammatory, the iodine can have some protective anti-inflammatory actions, but in the long run, the thyroid suppression becomes a problem.”

The Myth of Iodine Deficiency: An Interview with Dr. Ray Peat – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
the thing is that sign of deficiency is at the very end of the deficiency spectrum. you could still be deficient and not have an enlarged thyroid, but suffering in other more subtle ways...

Yawn. Anyone who still invokes Wolff-Chaikoff within the context of iodine intake deserves not to be taken seriously on the topic.

HDD

I posted the portions of a few interviews since I thought all readers might not be familiar with his thoughts on supplementing iodine. What anyone believes and does regarding what he says is up to them.

burtlancast

Ray says 0.5mg is enough to increase thyroid disease, in which he lumps thyroid cancer and thyroiditis.

But it's a fact iodine decreases cancer incidence, so i would strike out the first one pretty decisively.

HDD

RAY PEAT: In the 1980s, I was looking into the iodine nutrition question because I saw some women with breast disease who recovered quickly when they took supplements of kelp or thyroid hormone and the safest thing, I think, is to correct the thyroid problem directly rather than counting on big doses of iodine because the large doses over many years, for example, there are about 70 or more publications looking at iodine intake around the world, over a period of decades, and they see that over half a mg or even especially over 1mg of iodine per day over a population is closely connected with increased risk of thyroiditis and thyroid cancer. One of the theories of why that happens is that iodine spontaneously reacts, or in the presence of white blood cells their enzymes can cause iodine to react with fatty acids that are unsaturated. And if you’ve heard about the iodine number to describe the degree of unsaturation of the fats - for example, the food oils that are highly unsaturated have a high iodine number. That means the number of molecules of iodine that will be spontaneously absorbed by a certain quantity of the oil, because the iodine attacks the double bonds in the fats and where they lack hydrogen saturation, the iodine fills in like an analogue to the saturated hydrogen content. So there is this tendency of unsaturated fats to react with iodine and when that happens the body can then interpret that as a signal to the thyroid gland, possibly imitating the thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH).

ANDREW MURRAY 1: Really?

SARAH JOHANNESEN MURRAY: So it doesn’t cause an increase of thyroid hormone?

RAY PEAT: It can fill the site where thyroid stimulating hormone should be acting and it can interfere with that, so it can probably go either way, forcing too much activity, or more likely blocking the effect of TSH. The polyunsaturated fats by themselves interfere with the enzyme which releases thyroid hormone from the glands, so too much of the unsaturated fats with or without iodine will have an anti-thyroid effect. But potentially the iodine reaction could cause over stimulation by thyroid stimulating horemone or in its place could imitate the action.

ANDREW MURRAY: Dr Peat, you mentioned the iodine binding to the double bonds producing this product and in it’s own right that could stimulate an inflammatory thyroiditis and/or a cancer?

RAY PEAT: Yeah. I think that’s why the high iodine intake around the world statistically associated with greater risk of thyroid cancer and if there really were a product that contained a more reactive form of iodine, that would just mean that it would attack more molecules, but I looked up the sources of that product and one of the products started about 10 years ago. A man in Texas filed a patent that is just completely goofy. If you look at the diagram, it shows things that just can’t happen and so it was filed 10 years ago and I think it still hasn’t been and probably never will be actually approved as a patent. But you can apply for a patent on any goofy idea and then publish the application and impress a lot of people!

Herb Doctors Iodine Supplement Reactions Hormones And More

burtlancast

there are about 70 or more publications looking at iodine intake around the world, over a period of decades, and they see that over half a mg or even especially over 1mg of iodine per day over a population is closely connected with increased risk of thyroiditis and thyroid cancer.

Well, Japanese people ingest 80 times the RDA ( 12.5 mg a day).

"The project’s hypothesis is that maintaining whole body sufficiency of iodine requires 12.5 mg a day, an amount similar to what the Japanese consume and over eighty times the RDI of 150 mcg."
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/the-great-iodine-debate/

Here are the worldwide incidence for thyroid cancer: Japan is several folds lower compared to the USA and many other countries in the world.

Uke2NRp.jpg

Attachments

• International patterns and trends in thyroid cancer incidence, 1973–2002.pdf
    527.3 KB · Views: 9

burtlancast

2015 study: Iodine intake as a risk factor for thyroid cancer: a comprehensive review of animal and human studies | Thyroid Research | Full Text

"Thyroid cancer (TC) is the most common endocrine malignancy and in most countries, incidence rates are increasing. Although differences in population iodine intake are a determinant of benign thyroid disorders, the role of iodine intake in TC remains uncertain. We review the evidence linking iodine intake and TC from animal studies, ecological studies of iodine intake and differentiated and undifferentiated TC, iodine intake and mortality from TC and occult TC at autopsy, as well as the case–control and cohort studies of TC and intake of seafood and milk products. We perform a new meta-analysis of pooled measures of effect from case–control studies of total iodine intake and TC. Finally, we examine the post-Chernobyl studies linking iodine status and risk of TC after radiation exposure. The available evidence suggests iodine deficiency is a risk factor for TC, particularly for follicular TC and possibly, for anaplastic TC. This conclusion is based on: a) consistent data showing an increase in TC (mainly follicular) in iodine deficient animals; b) a plausible mechanism (chronic TSH stimulation induced by iodine deficiency); c) consistent data from before and after studies of iodine prophylaxis showing a decrease in follicular TC and anaplastic TC; d) the indirect association between changes in iodine intake and TC mortality in the decade from 2000 to 2010; e) the autopsy studies of occult TC showing higher microcarcinoma rates with lower iodine intakes; and f) the case control studies suggesting lower risk of TC with higher total iodine intakes."

HDD

I suppose we could ask Ray Peat for his opinion on the above graph or study? His opinion was based on over 70 studies.

HDD

T3 and Iodine Research

“So this spurred more research. I ended up spending hours researching iodine and it’s effects – positive and negative – when used in high doses (which for my purposes are >1mg – basically far more than is required to avoid goiter). I came across a number of peer reviewed articles that suggest there is significant risk in supplementing with Iodine, including risk of hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s (autoimmune thyroid disease): here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals