Log Of Curious Events

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
caroline said:
Hmm, I think that smell you are talking about is what I suffered from up until doing Peat. It was perplexing, and I tend to agree with your assessment that our systems are not digesting things properly-hence, the noxious smell.
My metabolism took a hit the last couple weeks and I think I might have been getting that smell too. The only way I can describe it, is a burnt smell. :?

OP
S

Swandattur

Caroline, For the most part, I don't get the weird smell thing so much anymore, but when I eat too much of the wrong thing, I do get it. I think I can get away with eating some cheese, but not a lot. I hope I can get to where dairy or at least cheese is okay. I'm awfully limited with the no starch thing as it is.

Charlie, yes it is a burnt sort of smell that I get, too.

I tried eating one of those small 'horse' bananas a little while ago, because when very ripe they are still good, but not too starchy. Maybe the fact that my blood sugar is 84 about an hour later means I can tolerate whatever starch is still in them. The real test would be eating one every day for five days or so, but just eating one of these well ripened bananas now and then must be okay. I should test my blood sugars tomorrow and see if it stays as low as usual. My idea is that undigested starch feeds bad bacteria that create endotoxin.

caroline

HI Swandatteur,

That's funny about the banana. We are on the same page! I was just trying it, b/c like you , starches don't seem to work so well for me. Also similar to you, I get the tongue thing when I eat something that doesn't work. I just eliminated banana yesterday and voila, clear tongue.

Oats seem to work fine, for some reason; I know they are at the bottom of the Peat list, but they work well for me. Carrot is also no problem at all. Potato causes aches, lethargy, and slight bloat-- No weird tongue issue but inflammation.

I think you are right about the theory re: undigested food/endotoxin. Sounds sensible to me.

OP
S

Swandattur

I guess the Ray Peat food guidelines are just that- guidelines. We have to do our own self experimentation to get the diet right. If potatoes bother you that way, maybe it's the nightshade factor. I probably ought too try a few more starches now and then to see if some are okay. I didn't have any noticeable repercussions from that small banana, and it really tasted good. I think many types of starch do okay on me just as a one time thing once in a while.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Swandattur said:
I guess the Ray Peat food guidelines are just that- guidelines. We have to do our own self experimentation to get the diet right.
[img=center]http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/ahmed-bebe-amena/q-f-t-quoted-for-truth-77738447.jpg[/img]

OP
S

Swandattur

More fun and games today. Last night we got in at about 2 am from visiting my younger son where he goes to college. At about that time my husband said he was going to take the dog out to hike to this spring that is located in a park near by. Night time activities like this are not unusual for him, but then the next day he wasn't home by 1 pm, and his phone was going to voice mail. So, I drove out there, and was considering hiking to the spring to see if he was there. My sister, who I talked to on the phone thought I shouldn't go alone. She was worried. Then she called a friend who was a retired game warden. The problem was he didn't come alone to help look. A whole bunch of law enforcement people came. I figured my husband was gonna kill me, if something bad had not happened to him. I kind of wondered with the way some of them acted if they thought I might have done away with my husband. It didn't occur to me until later that they might have considered that. Finally at about 4:30 my husband comes strolling out. He acted all nice and friendly with the law enforcement people and they were nice to him. I thought he wasn't mad at me, but after we left there in separate vehicles he didn't come home. It may not be, but he may somehow be afraid they will Baker Act him just because he got on their radar. For some reason he doesn't get that if they didn't do it out there, then they aren't going to get him later. I guess he gets paranoid. It's the Vietnam Vet with PTSD thing. I was worried he might have gotten lost, since he stayed gone a lot longer than is normal for him. Anyway, kind of a fiasco and too much drama for me!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Swandattur said:
More fun and games today. Last night we got in at about 2 am from visiting my younger son where he goes to college. At about that time my husband said he was going to take the dog out to hike to this spring that is located in a park near by. Night time activities like this are not unusual for him, but then the next day he wasn't home by 1 pm, and his phone was going to voice mail. So, I drove out there, and was considering hiking to the spring to see if he was there. My sister, who I talked to on the phone thought I shouldn't go alone. She was worried. Then she called a friend who was a retired game warden. The problem was he didn't come alone to help look. A whole bunch of law enforcement people came. I figured my husband was gonna kill me, if something bad had not happened to him. I kind of wondered with the way some of them acted if they thought I might have done away with my husband. It didn't occur to me until later that they might have considered that. Finally at about 4:30 my husband comes strolling out. He acted all nice and friendly with the law enforcement people and they were nice to him. I thought he wasn't mad at me, but after we left there in separate vehicles he didn't come home. It may not be, but he may somehow be afraid they will Baker Act him just because he got on their radar. For some reason he doesn't get that if they didn't do it out there, then they aren't going to get him later. I guess he gets paranoid. It's the Vietnam Vet with PTSD thing. I was worried he might have gotten lost, since he stayed gone a lot longer than is normal for him. Anyway, kind of a fiasco and too much drama for me!
Wow!

OP
S

Swandattur

Yeah, it was no fun. It turned out my husband was not mad at me or feeling nervous about the police. He stopped at a gas station and must have gone to sleep for two or three hours before coming home. At least I just found a counselor to go to who seems very good. I don't think she has experience with combat PTSD issues, but she seems understanding of how stressful these kind of situations are.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Its good you will have someone to talk to. :)

OP
S

Swandattur

Anytime life starts seeming like a soap opera, or soap Oprah as my sister called it, it's nice to have someone objective to talk to about it.
My sister is going through an awful time with her youngest daughter who seems intent on being a drunk and having awful 'friends' and getting into trouble. So at least we can empathize pretty well, since we are both dealing with people close to us who are constantly driving us nuts with very worrisome behavior. We both have come to the conclusion that we need to step back and let go a little, since it is very limited as to what we can do.

OP
S

Swandattur

I found that it is easy to make toffee candy like in Heath bars. Take a medium sized iron skillet (ten inches), and put a half cup butter and a half cup sugar along with a tablespoon and a half of water. Bring it to a good boil over medium or a bit higher heat and start a timer for four or five minutes. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture starts to change to a straw color and then be ready for when it starts to turn a little golden. At that point you might want to turn the burner down to low on an electric burner and maybe medium low on a gas burner all the while stirring to prevent over cooking. When the mixture is an even light golden color it's time to turn it out on a buttered cookie sheet. Let it cool and break up into pieces. You might want to skor it when it is still somewhat soft to make it break on those lines.

The only trouble with this candy is it's so good you might, like I did, eat too much. I felt sort of tired until I ate a pear and some kale broth.

OP
S

Swandattur

I have added 1/8th teaspoon baking soda at the very last stirring well. This changes the texture so that the candy doesn't stick in the teeth. I also like some sea salt or Kosher salt stirred in at the last or sprinkled on top just after pouring. Yum!

My husband's niece told me that her dad who is a retired doctor says it's best not to go in a hospital if at all possible due to the low quality of care in hospitals these days. He has pneumonia and is in his 80's and he is staying at home instead of going to a hospital. Just thought it interesting.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Swandattur said:
My husband's niece told me that her dad who is a retired doctor says it's best not to go in a hospital if at all possible due to the low quality of care in hospitals these days. He has pneumonia and is in his 80's and he is staying at home instead of going to a hospital. Just thought it interesting.
:shock:

OP
S

Swandattur

Pretty bad when a doctor says don't go there unless you really need the expertise.

My mom who is in her 80s has kidney failure. Her doctor told her two years ago that if she didn't start getting dialysis, she wouldn't have long. Well, she did not go on dialysis and is handling it with diet and she's been hanging in there and even manages to help out with the bookstore she and my sister and niece own. So, we don't know how the future will go, but I believe she's doing better not on dialysis than many people her age who opt to go on dialysis for kidney failure.

OP
S

Swandattur

I went to my psychiatrist to see if he would continue the meds I got on in the hospital. I did not get any definitive answer or hardly any answer at all. Guess I have to wait until I am about out of medication to see if any prescriptions will be forthcoming. Maybe I will keep trying to contact another psychiatrist who might be more helpful. The one I can't seem to get ahold of might have been on vacation along with his staff. Otherwise, I don't know when their hours could be, because I tried different likely times. Maybe they are only open a few days a week in that particular location? These gods on Mount Olympus are living in too rarified an air to notice us mere mortals down here on our plane of existence.

OP
S

Swandattur

I went to my appointment for the multi-nodular goiter, and the doctor said I likely had Hashimoto's. They took blood for testing several thyroid related things. Tomorrow I go in to get fine needle aspirations on the two larger nodules. So, hopefully, I'll find out something useful.

Lately I get really cold and can't get warm and sometimes I'm cold and then hot and sometimes it feels like I am both hot and cold at the same time. It's as if my temperature sensor is confused! I have been eating cole slaw lately, just made with olive oil and vinegar and sugar and salt, but maybe too much cabbage.

I also have a lot of trouble with insomnia, mostly waking up after a few hours and can't go back to sleep. Very early this morning I got up and had scrambled eggs to ward off hunger. Then I was able to sleep again.

OP
S

Swandattur

Just wanted to post something I've noticed. After starting the Abilify, I have noticed fluorescent lights in stores quit bothering my eyes and driving me nuts, and I seem to have much less problem with smell distortion. The Abilify must help this in some way. The flourescent light thing might be explained by less stress, but the smell distortion doesn't seem like it would be caused by stress.

OP
S

Swandattur

At least now, dairy, except for high histamine aged cheese seems okay for me. I'm really happy about that! Maybe this will really help with any thyroid issues.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Awesome! :claporange

Being able to consume dairy makes things a lot easier.

OP
S

Swandattur

I sort of accidentally (ha) ate maybe a pint of strawberry Haggendaze and then slept really well that night, which I hadn't done in quite a while. At least not without Ativan. I think it was better than Ativan.

I think I will try to pretty much eat dairy in the evening, and no meat at that time. I just realized I can eat gelatin now, also. So, that will make a big difference. I need to change my approach now that I can eat these things.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom