Lisuride Is A Potent Anti-histamine, And Peripheral Serotonin Antagonist

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted some threads on treating obesity by inhibiting peripheral synthesis of serotonin, or antagonizing its actions. One drug that could do that is cyproheptadine, however some people gain weight on it due to increased appetite. Other drugs that are effective for obesity are cabergoline and bromocriptine, however, both of them have potentially serious side effects.
In addition, it would be even more helpful if a drug inhibits histamine as well. Cypro does that well, but due to the weight gain and potential liver side effects for some people it is not an option.
This study (in Japanese, with English abstract at the end) shows that lisuride may be able to achieve the same, and it lacks the side effects of bromo, caber, and cypro.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fp ... 5_349/_pdf

"...Anti-5-hydroxytryptamine action (ID50=11 nM) was detected in the rat stomach and anti-histamine (ID50=15 nM) in the guinea-pig ileum, respectively. In these respective activities, lisuride was equipotent to methysergide and diphenhydramine...It is concluded that, in addition to its known effects on the central nervous system, lisuride possesses potent peripheral anti-5-hydroxytryptamine and anti-histamine activities."

So, for the people who need a dopamine agonist, serotonin antagonist, and histamine antagonist all combined into one and without serious side effects then lisuride may be a viable option. It also has the added benefit that by being an antagonist at the 5-HT2B receptor, lisuride can prevent tissue fibrosis (e.g. liver) and in many cases even reverse it.

Waremu

Very interesting study, haidut. I have never tried this drug before. Any idea on what the starting effective dose would be? Don't remember what Ray Peat recommended.

ravster02

sugar daddy said:
Does anyone known if you can get lisuride in the UK?

No it's been discontinued for years.

The brand name for lisuride is Dopergin and I think it's available from an online mexican pharmacy.

narouz

Waremu said:
Very interesting study, haidut. I have never tried this drug before. Any idea on what the starting effective dose would be? Don't remember what Ray Peat recommended.

Not haidut,
but I tried Lisuride in the brand of Dopergin
which is 0.2mg per pill, I believe.
I started with 1/4 of a pill.
Even that had a strong effect.
It made me very lethargic, sleepy.

Oddly, others on the forum reported that the same low dose
produced pretty pronounced boost in energy,
in some cases unpleasant,
in others pleasant.
Go...go figure. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
Waremu said:

Not haidut,

in others pleasant.
It makes me sleepy now but when I took it 1.5-2 years ago it energized me! Go figure is right narouz!
It still enhances my libido but I used to have none and now that my own has returned that 'side effect' isn't so necessary :lol:

narouz

Blossom said:
narouz said:
Waremu said:

Not haidut,

in others pleasant.
It makes me sleepy now but when I took it 1.5-2 years ago it energized me! Go figure is right narouz!
It still enhances my libido but I used to have none and now that my own has returned that 'side effect' isn't so necessary :lol:

Yeah, I figured it would be something like that--
depending upon what's going on with an individual at a certain time
it might provide something that's needed and therefore feel really good,
but maybe in a different person with a different biochemistry...
might enable something that would be too much of a good thing, etc...

I should try it again.
It's been about a year
and maybe my biochems are different. :)

narouz

Blossom said:

I've been thinking...that's an odd combo:
libidinous but sleepy.... :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
After reading one of Mittir's (YAY) posts tonight I would say when I take lisuride I have the desire but not the energy!

narouz

Now that I think of it,
yeah...that is not such an odd combo.
Actually, pretty common.
Late at night I might feel amorous
but...what I really want most is likely sleep. :lol:

tanneron

I posted some threads on treating obesity by inhibiting peripheral synthesis of serotonin, or antagonizing its actions. One drug that could do that is cyproheptadine, however some people gain weight on it due to increased appetite. Other drugs that are effective for obesity are cabergoline and bromocriptine, however, both of them have potentially serious side effects.
In addition, it would be even more helpful if a drug inhibits histamine as well. Cypro does that well, but due to the weight gain and potential liver side effects for some people it is not an option.
This study (in Japanese, with English abstract at the end) shows that lisuride may be able to achieve the same, and it lacks the side effects of bromo, caber, and cypro.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/fp ... 5_349/_pdf

"...Anti-5-hydroxytryptamine action (ID50=11 nM) was detected in the rat stomach and anti-histamine (ID50=15 nM) in the guinea-pig ileum, respectively. In these respective activities, lisuride was equipotent to methysergide and diphenhydramine...It is concluded that, in addition to its known effects on the central nervous system, lisuride possesses potent peripheral anti-5-hydroxytryptamine and anti-histamine activities."

So, for the people who need a dopamine agonist, serotonin antagonist, and histamine antagonist all combined into one and without serious side effects then lisuride may be a viable option. It also has the added benefit that by being an antagonist at the 5-HT2B receptor, lisuride can prevent tissue fibrosis (e.g. liver) and in many cases even reverse it.
5 years later, do you still think cabergoline is the most dangerous of the dopamineric drugs and should be avoided even at low doses (.25/.5 x2 week)?

Estradiol

5 years later, do you still think cabergoline is the most dangerous of the dopamineric drugs and should be avoided even at low doses (.25/.5 x2 week)?

The reason why caber is dangerous is 5-HT2B agonism which can cause fibrosis. You can balance with an anti-serotonin like cyproheptadine.

Mauritio

lisuride was equipotent to methysergide and diphenhydramine
Well, equipotent means equally effective at the same dosage .

Too bad that diphenhydramine is used in dosages of 25-75mg , so at least 100 times more than lisuride.

Which begs the question : is lisurides anti-histamine effect even significant in the dosages that it is usually taken ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals