Serotonin Causes Autism; Blocking It May Treat Autism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Once again, a testament to Ray's brilliance in clearly explaining the links between elevated serotonin in the brain and conditions like autism. Other scientists have also worked on the serotonin-autism hypothesis and as a result there has been a small human study with autism that found significant reduction in symptoms from low dose cyproheptadine. Unfortunately, the dose used in that study was rather small, so the effects could have been even more dramatic with the proper dose.
However, I think this is the first study that specifically points to serotonin as the direct culprit behind autism, and that blocking the 5-HT2C "receptor" fully reverses neurological damage caused by autism. Known 5-HT2C antagonists include our old friend cyproheptadine (particularly effective at 5-HT2C), as well as mianserin, ketanserin, ritanserin and maybe even lisuride (even though for lisuride only 5-HT2B antagonism has been shown).
The co-discoverer of HIV Luc Montagnier has been proposing for years treating autism with antibiotics. Some of the antibiotics he has used have strongly anti-serotonin effects, so the positive results he reported no longer look like a scam when you consider this study.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0136494
http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/2015/ ... 0page.html

"...The new research findings, which were published recently in the journal PLoS One, focus on the role that the neurotransmitter serotonin plays in the development of social behavior. Serotonin, together with the serotonin receptors it activates in the brain, plays a significant role in neurological processes, including mood, anxiety, aggression and memory.

"...The study made use of an animal model of mutations in the gene Pten, a risk factor present in a subgroup of individuals with autism. Treatment of this model with a drug that suppresses the activity of a particular serotonin receptor, 5-HT2cR, can have a dramatic effect."

Our research shows that targeting one specific serotonin receptor can reverse social deficits in a mouse model of the autism risk gene Pten,” said Julien Séjourné, the first author of the new study. “This discovery is important for understanding the role of this specific subtype of serotonin receptor in autism-relevant behaviors and could lead to new therapeutic strategies.”

MCF

Thank you Haidut, this is brilliant! I have 2 questions please:

1. For how long must antibiotics be used for;

2. Will follow up antibiotics use be suggested to maintain result or is the initial course sufficient.

Salty

Yes, this is very interesting. I recently read the abstract of a review about research into serotonin in ASD and found the interesting factoid that increased blood serotonin was actually THE earliest biomarker reported for ASD... in 1961. This is the study they reference:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7661802618

I have my doubts about "mouse models of autism" but its definitely a promising area of research.

Now the question is, what is causing the elevated blood serotonin in so many infants/kids?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Salty said:
post 102195 Yes, this is very interesting. I recently read the abstract of a review about research into serotonin in ASD and found the interesting factoid that increased blood serotonin was actually THE earliest biomarker reported for ASD... in 1961. This is the study they reference:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 7661802618

I have my doubts about "mouse models of autism" but its definitely a promising area of research.

Now the question is, what is causing the elevated blood serotonin in so many infants/kids?

Ray said that maternal stress during pregnancy is likely the direct cause of autism. We all know what stress does to serotonin, especially in pregnant women.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
MCF said:
post 102192 Thank you Haidut, this is brilliant! I have 2 questions please:

2. Will follow up antibiotics use be suggested to maintain result or is the initial course sufficient.

Montagnier said that he used antibiotics for several months. I have not seen the actual studies since Montagnier is a persona non-grata for most journals. However, these links mention 6 month course of treatment.
http://montagnier.org/To-autistic-children
https://www.lymedisease.org/news-treati ... tibiotics/

I think the full description of the protocol can be found on the Internet if you look around.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 102209 Does Aspirin decrease serotonin in the brain?

It decreases it in plasma, but I have no info on brain. It's a good idea though, so let me check.

Makrosky

haidut said:
MCF said:

Montagnier said that he used antibiotics for several months. I have not seen the actual studies since Montagnier is a persona non-grata for most journals. However, these links mention 6 month course of treatment.

I think the full description of the protocol can be found on the Internet if you look around.

Hold on a second.

What's the rationale behind using antibiotics to treat autism ?

I guess it's the antibiotics->kill intestinal flora-> dramatic decrease endotoxins->dramatic decrease serotonin ? Or is there another mechanism involved ?

milk_lover

haidut, I just found this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15214507

"We previously showed that acetaminophen administration to rats increases forebrain serotonin levels as a result of the inhibition of liver tryptophan-2,3-dioxygenase (TDO). In this study we determined whether aspirin alone and in combination with acetaminophen could further influence brain serotonin as well as norepinephrine levels and if so whether the status of the liver TDO activity would be altered. The results show that acetaminophen alone increases brain serotonin as well as norepinephrine levels with a concomitant inhibition of liver TDO activity. In contrast, aspirin did not alter the levels of these monoamines but increased serotonin turnover in the brain while acetaminophen decreased the turnover. When combined with acetaminophen, aspirin overrides the reduced serotonin turnover induced by acetaminophen. This report demonstrates the potential of these agents to alter neurotransmitter levels in the brain."

What do you think?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
milk_lover said:
post 102216 haidut, I just found this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15214507

"We previously showed that acetaminophen administration to rats increases forebrain serotonin levels as a result of the inhibition of liver tryptophan-2,3-dioxygenase (TDO). In this study we determined whether aspirin alone and in combination with acetaminophen could further influence brain serotonin as well as norepinephrine levels and if so whether the status of the liver TDO activity would be altered. The results show that acetaminophen alone increases brain serotonin as well as norepinephrine levels with a concomitant inhibition of liver TDO activity. In contrast, aspirin did not alter the levels of these monoamines but increased serotonin turnover in the brain while acetaminophen decreased the turnover. When combined with acetaminophen, aspirin overrides the reduced serotonin turnover induced by acetaminophen. This report demonstrates the potential of these agents to alter neurotransmitter levels in the brain."

What do you think?

Yes, that's the same one I have. I was trying to find additional ones. If you find something else please post.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 102215
haidut said:
MCF said:

Hold on a second.

What's the rationale behind using antibiotics to treat autism ?

I guess it's the antibiotics->kill intestinal flora-> dramatic decrease endotoxins->dramatic decrease serotonin ? Or is there another mechanism involved ?

I don't know what the rationale is. Montagnier claims that autism originates in the gut but I have not seen a full explanation. I don't think he has worked on serotonin, but the antibiotic would likely lead to lower gut serotonin production.

milk_lover

haidut said:
post 102219
milk_lover said:
post 102216 haidut, I just found this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15214507

What do you think?

Yes, that's the same one I have. I was trying to find additional ones. If you find something else please post.
Will do

Makrosky

haidut said:
I don't know what the rationale is. Montagnier claims that autism originates in the gut but I have not seen a full explanation. I don't think he has worked on serotonin, but the antibiotic would likely lead to lower gut serotonin production.

Pr Luc Montagnier, Nobel Prize for Medicine : « we think that they are bacteria that come from the intestinal mucosa which, when inflammation is present, will seep through the very fragile mucosa into the bloodstream and will produce toxins which can then reach the brain. That’s the mechanism we are looking at, but we don’t want to speak of one bacteria in particular. What we know though is that the signals we are detecting usually come from bacteria that are pathogenic to humans »

That's what he says on the video.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
post 102231
haidut said:

Pr Luc Montagnier, Nobel Prize for Medicine : « we think that they are bacteria that come from the intestinal mucosa which, when inflammation is present, will seep through the very fragile mucosa into the bloodstream and will produce toxins which can then reach the brain. That’s the mechanism we are looking at, but we don’t want to speak of one bacteria in particular. What we know though is that the signals we are detecting usually come from bacteria that are pathogenic to humans »

That's what he says on the video.

OK, so he basically says endoxotin can cause autism in children. Endotoxin is one of the primary drivers of serotonin synthesis both in the brain and gut. So, killing the gut flora will reduce ebdotoxin and serotonin as well.

Lucas

My 10 years old son is autistic.
His DAN doctor put him on this protocol:
- 2.5 mg Escitalopram (Lexapro), 1 time a day (in morning);
- 500 mg L-Theanine (1 to 3 times a day);
- 500 mg L-Taurine 3 times a day;
- 22 mg Zinc one time a day;
- Magnesium 600 mg each day
He has a not severe case of autism, in reality he is a Preterm birth baby, born with 600 g body weight, 30 cm in height, from a gestation of 30 weeks. Get 100 days on ICU - Intensive Care Unit before gone to home. I think because of this he had autistic behavior, as a side effect of the ICU.
His major problem is slimming, vocalization, agitation, and he don’t like the sound of baby crying, so because of this I cannot go to a restaurant whit him on some others public places.
Time to try some Cyproheptadine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lucas said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/102245/ My 10 years old son is autistic.
His DAN doctor put him on this protocol:
- 2.5 mg Escitalopram (Lexapro), 1 time a day (in morning);
- 500 mg L-Theanine (1 to 3 times a day);
- 500 mg L-Taurine 3 times a day;
- 22 mg Zinc one time a day;
- Magnesium 600 mg each day
He has a not severe case of autism, in reality he is a Preterm birth baby, born with 600 g body weight, 30 cm in height, from a gestation of 30 weeks. Get 100 days on ICU - Intensive Care Unit before gone to home. I think because of this he had autistic behavior, as a side effect of the ICU.
His major problem is slimming, vocalization, agitation, and he don’t like the sound of baby crying, so because of this I cannot go to a restaurant whit him on some others public places.
Time to try some Cyproheptadine.

I am sorry to hear about your son's travails. Hopefully, he can improve with proper diet and anti-serotonin therapy.
I would ask the doctor to stop the Lexapro, if he is OK with it. This drug is a serotonergic poison and if serotonin is indeed the direct cause/mediator of autism there is no point of taking cyproheptadine if the Lexapro is still taken.

MCF

MCF wrote:
Source of the post Thank you Haidut, this is brilliant! I have 2 questions please:

Thank you very much Haidut!

StrongMom

So, Haidut, you are saying that not all serotonin antagonists will work. In order to reverse the autism, that particular receptor needs to be blocked. The other (non-drug) antogonists may not be effective?

One of my twins was recently diagnosed with autism. At this stage, I do not want to experiment with hard core drugs, but considering some supplements in the first stage. What do you think?

DaveFoster

A little note on my experience with cyproheptadine with regards to autism:

While I was sleeping, I thought of the oddity of randomly exposing facts about myself and my ideas without any precedent in conversation. It seems that autism prompts this kind of outwardly expressive behavior for no reason whatsoever (which is a social disadvantage if anything, as it reduces the scarcity of your value in contributing to the conversation.)

To understand this, just imagine a person who says the most monumentally central and important things about his or her self within the first few moments of a conversation (relating to his or her values/morals/religious beliefs/political beliefs/social strategy). It would be akin to a thief walking up to a bystander and saying, "I like to steal things, so make sure to hide your stuff from me." The realization of the oddness behind this kind of behavior does not really occur to me normally, but cyproheptadine changes this.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
StressedMom said:
post 108481 So, Haidut, you are saying that not all serotonin antagonists will work. In order to reverse the autism, that particular receptor needs to be blocked. The other (non-drug) antogonists may not be effective?

One of my twins was recently diagnosed with autism. At this stage, I do not want to experiment with hard core drugs, but considering some supplements in the first stage. What do you think?

I am saying that the study looked ate specific drugs that are known as 5-HT2 antagonists. Whether other antagonists like ondansetron (5-HT3) would work is just a guess right now. Based on the cognitive improvement studies I have seen with ondansetron, my guess would be that it would also help. Better yet, killing the gut bacteria with antibiotic (which is Luc Montagnier approach) or reducing synthesis by inhibiting TPH is a preferred approach.