Analgesic Effects Of 1st Gen. Anti-histamines

schultz

I wanted to share this study with you all because I found it most interesting!

I believe there are already studies showing the analgesic effects of 1st gen AH's, but I thought this paper was concise and summarised the research to date. The paper mentions that this probably would have been studied more in the past but new NSAID's were coming onto the market so they just stopped researching it. Also, it talks about the combination of an NSAID with an AH as having a strong analgesic effect. I wonder if aspirin and cyproheptadine would make nice combo. drug. Both of them have countless positive effects. (Note: I put "1st generation anti-histamine" in brackets for clarity, as it was short formed)

Analgesic Effects of 1st Generation Anti-histamines in Mice. - PubMed - NCBI

"The tested [1st generation anti-histamines] (especially cyproheptadine) displayed or tended to display analgesic effects comparable to those of NSAIDs in normal and H1R-KO mice... Moreover, combination of a [1st generation anti-histamine] with an NSAID (cyclooxygenase-1 inhibitor) produced remarkably potent analgesic effects. We propose that a 1st AH, by itself or in combination with a cyclooxygenase-1 inhibitor, should undergo testing to evaluate its usefulness in analgesia."

"... upon local application, diphenhydramine (a typical 1st AH) is reportedly as effective at pain prevention as the local anesthetic drug lidocaine."

"Recently, Fujita et al. reported that the analgesic effect of diphenhydramine (a 1st AH) is superior to that of indomethacin (an NSAID) in patients with osteoporosis and/or osteoarthritis."

"Watanabe et al. noted that the analgesic effect of chlorpheniramine (a 1st AH) is superior to that of flurbiprofen (an NSAID) in patients with TMD."

"... a combination of a 1st AH (cyproheptadine or promethazine) with the NSAID diclophenac (cyclooxygenase-1 inhibitor) had the strongest analgesic effect seen in the present study."

"In conclusion, in mice, some 1st AHs displayed potent analgesic effects comparable to or greater than those of NSAIDs."

This deserves a bump. It REALLY works. If you have a bad headache, take a little cypro and aspirin. Works FANTASTICALLY.