List of safe cheeses made with animal rennet

rainbowdrops

I cannot speak to " on here" as a general conclusion since even then the most important factor can be "source". But hundreds and hundreds maybe thousands of years of pastoral civilizations using whey for a variety of cultured milk products are "wrong"? The progression of cheese types, cultured kefirs, yogurts from rennets have been a delicious and variable human sustainer for a very long time. The modern challenge: find a source from ruminants that actually browse naturally and peacefully, no hormones. No pesticides, no herbicides, no chemical defoliants sprayed on plant feed, no pufa laden plant oils sprayed on grain or fodder as feed. no growth hormones, no antibiotics systemically injected in the animal source. No product additives in processing as whiteners, thickeners, and finally no synthetic flavorings, preservatives, dyes, and by-products as high fructose corn syrup. All of these are easily found in a "value added" frozen food product as strawberry blintzes in you local grocery.
That wasn’t my own opinion; personally I eat ricotta but as this is the Ray Peat forum and I remember some other members not advocating whey and quoting Peat I was under the impression that he’s not a fan himself. Of course people should find out for themselves what works but I’m going by the assumption that people seeking advice here would like to hear things roughly lining up with his logic, that’s all.

Dr. B

I

Forgot to say bake low and slow. Eggs are delicate. 5 eggs if med or large by grocery standards. 325 degrees, turn it up last 10 mins. Sometimes it splits then I just cover it with whatever topping I am using: drizzle melted semisweet choc, fruit compote, or tart style arranged fruit after unmolding,
how do you rinse cottage cheese and what is the purpose of it? the daisy cottage cheese is already wet and has liquid, i dont see how it can be rinsed unless you dump out all the liquid portion and only eat the solid cheese curds in it

akgrrrl

That wasn’t my own opinion; personally I eat ricotta but as this is the Ray Peat forum and I remember some other members not advocating whey and quoting Peat I was under the impression that he’s not a fan himself. Of course people should find out for themselves what works but I’m going by the assumption that people seeking advice here would like to hear things roughly lining up with his logic, that’s all.
Oh yes, I knew what you meant. But thanks for clarification.As we all know, Dr Peat has made clear his stance on moderation; one or another foodstuff is not inherently wrong or bad (unless so altered by human intervention that it cannot be referred to casually, if not at cause.)

76er

FWIW: Ricotta has a solid calcium to phosphorous ratio and more potassium compared to cottage cheese. Ricotta has a significantly worse protein to fat ratio than cottage cheese.

Attachments

• ricotta-cottage.jpg
    ricotta-cottage.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 43

Dr. B

FWIW: Ricotta has a solid calcium to phosphorous ratio and more potassium compared to cottage cheese. Ricotta has a significantly worse protein to fat ratio than cottage cheese.
cottage cheese is horrible, 2:1 phosphate to calcium!

akgrrrl

cottage cheese is horrible, 2:1 phosphate to calcium!
Again.and again and again. Not any one graph or table can describe and define a food that is a product with complete veracity when there are so many variables. Sigh. These are not chemical compounds in a defined state.

Dr. B

Again.and again and again. Not any one graph or table can describe and define a food that is a product with complete veracity when there are so many variables. Sigh. These are not chemical compounds in a defined state.
cheeses are processed food items, someone mentioned on here they lack a lot of the b vitamins, the processing for them leaves them with lots of fat and casein protein, but all the carbs/sugars and whey are lost if you look at 25g protein from casein protein/cheese, 25g protein from whey, or 25g protein from whole milk the whole milk has much more nutrients and calcium!

Birdie

Thanks akgrrrl.

76er

cheeses are processed food items, someone mentioned on here they lack a lot of the b vitamins, the processing for them leaves them with lots of fat and casein protein, but all the carbs/sugars and whey are lost if you look at 25g protein from casein protein/cheese, 25g protein from whey, or 25g protein from whole milk the whole milk has much more nutrients and calcium!
Ricotta's B vitamen story is actually not that bad.

Cheese is important because I don't like to have drink any more liquid then I already do between fruit juice and milk.

Hard cheese also nicely satisfy salty urges, which are common when taking in a lot of sugar.

supercoolguy

how do you rinse cottage cheese and what is the purpose of it? the daisy cottage cheese is already wet and has liquid, i dont see how it can be rinsed unless you dump out all the liquid portion and only eat the solid cheese curds in it
Because the Curd has the digestible protein value. The Liquid portion contains Lactic Acid. Manufactures never used to include the "dressing" until they realized it retards spoilage, increasing shelve-life. You can still buy Dry Curd CC. I havent found any, so I choose Daisy 2%. Very low tart/lactic acid, esp after rinsing. Very neutral sensory smell & taste.

76er

No, It's a good point.
Kind of a buzz kill to have a cheese that is not contributing to a positive calcium to phosphorus intake.

But yes there is more to life, e.g., I just bought cottage cheese today because I'm looking to cut some of my fat intake.

akgrrrl

No, It's a good point.
Kind of a buzz kill to have a cheese that is not contributing to a positive calcium to phosphorus intake.

But yes there is more to life, e.g., I just bought cottage cheese today because I'm looking to cut some of my fat intake.
I think you will be encouraged when you experiment with it, and see the many melty ways it can be used. And blenderized. And mixes and freezes well.

Vileplume

This cheese, the Manchego from Costco, has been verified as using animal rennet. Just the basic cheese ingredients. It always digests well for me, and as a bonus, since it gets made with sheep cheese, it has the A2 casein, more easily digested by some.

Costco cheeses are EXTREMELY well-priced and, since the Manchego, Parmiggiano Reggiano, and Pecorino Romano get made in Spain, Italy, and Italy respectively, they avoid some of the mass-mass-production shortcuts that come with US- or China-produced cheeses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 71

Dr. B

This cheese, the Manchego from Costco, has been verified as using animal rennet. Just the basic cheese ingredients. It always digests well for me, and as a bonus, since it gets made with sheep cheese, it has the A2 casein, more easily digested by some.

Costco cheeses are EXTREMELY well-priced and, since the Manchego, Parmiggiano Reggiano, and Pecorino Romano get made in Spain, Italy, and Italy respectively, they avoid some of the mass-mass-production shortcuts that come with US- or China-produced cheeses.
you contacted costco? how did you find they use animal rennet
it looks very good but fat content is high
do you use any whey

Vileplume

you contacted costco? how did you find they use animal rennet
it looks very good but fat content is high
do you use any whey
I read this vegetarian article which states, “All Kirkland Signature (Costco) cheeses EXCEPT PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO AND MANCHEGO are made with microbial rennet and are suitable for vegetarians.”

Yeah, it is fatty, but it tastes so dang good. Plus, great for quesadillas (or “cheese tacos” as Ray calls them). I think sheep milk in general is fattier than goat, or cow, getting progressively less fatty in that order.

Dr. B

I read this vegetarian article which states, “All Kirkland Signature (Costco) cheeses EXCEPT PARMIGIANO-REGGIANO AND MANCHEGO are made with microbial rennet and are suitable for vegetarians.”

Yeah, it is fatty, but it tastes so dang good. Plus, great for quesadillas (or “cheese tacos” as Ray calls them). I think sheep milk in general is fattier than goat, or cow, getting progressively less fatty in that order.
interesting, goats milk is more fatty than cows?
i heard sheeps milk has double the fat and protein of cows milk in one cup. so its lower carb and you get less water.
you never see sheep milk in stores, it would be nice to get some good quality pasteurized sheeps milk. i think the low temp pasteurization seems to improve milk flavor more so than raw milk.

Vileplume

interesting, goats milk is more fatty than cows?
i heard sheeps milk has double the fat and protein of cows milk in one cup. so its lower carb and you get less water.
you never see sheep milk in stores, it would be nice to get some good quality pasteurized sheeps milk. i think the low temp pasteurization seems to improve milk flavor more so than raw milk.
I base that claim, about increased goat’s milk fattiness over cow’s milk, on looking at labels in grocery stores. From the ones I’ve looked at, it seems like in general goat’s milk has a bit more fat than cow’s milk.

I agree. I do love raw milk and would always prefer it over pasteurized, just to keep every enzyme and nutrient as intact as possible, but some of the pasteurized milk I’ve had tastes better than raw.

I have stocked up a couple of times on "rennet only" cheeses from this company.

Attachments

• 20220105_172609.jpg
    20220105_172609.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 34

Veritas IV

Found one that seems available only regionally: Northeast USA Black Bear brand Havarti cheese.

Ingredients: pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, rennet, calcium chloride

Veritas IV

I've just noticed what Birdie wrote in the 2nd post of this thread. Apparently having the word "Rennet" on the label is not enough to know if it's truly animal rennet. My previous submission, Black Bear brand Havarti Cheese may not qualify. I have been eating it for several months, luckily with no discomfort or strange symptoms. I imagine if the typical European cheeses said "rennet" on the label then it would likely be animal rennet, however i don't feel the same about American cheeses.

Edit: deleted my new submission (Jarlsberg) Thank you for that info on "microbial rennet" Rinse & rePeat!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals