Just Want To Stress The Variety Of Quality In Modern Processed Foods And The Potential Danger

jzeno

I'm referring to things like Milk, OJ, Cheese, Eggs, Protein sources, Coffee, etc.

Counter-intuitively, some foods which are more expensive, are actually more allergenic than other comparable options of the same food type which are relatively less expensive. This can be confusing. I'm used to thinking: "If it costs more, it must be better", but with modern processed foods, relative price is a less reliable indicator of a food's impact on health, negative or positive, and the truth can actually be counter-intuitive.

For example: I had some cheese lying around from before I started to try Ray Peat's suggestions and some of it was considering fairly good, such as Kerry Gold's Aged Cheddar (Aged Cheddar Cheese | Kerrygold | 100% Natural Matured Cheddar). I thought, because their butter is among the best in the USA and more expensive, that it would be a good idea to invest in the extra cost to buy their cheeses because, I presumed, the extra price would indicate added benefit. But when I ate this cheese it caused intense digestion issues (gas, discomfort, bloating) and I could not eat any more of it after that. It was torturous and I decided I wouldn't put myself through that just to get some extra protein and calcium--decidedly not worth it. Not a good trade off.

Then I stumbled upon this post on Danny Roddy's Instagram quoting Ray Peat stating that Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Aged 2 years (white in color with a black wrapper where I purchased it) was a trusted cheese product (The Danny Roddy Weblog on Instagram: “"Tillamook white cheddar, aged 2 years, has natural ingredients, and Reggiano is the other one that I have confidence in. A big European…”). Danny even contacted them about their ingredients and confirmed they did not use aspergillus. Turns out this a great cheese that does cause any allergic or unhealthy reactions and when I eat it I feel my temperature slightly rise, which I take to be a very good sign. Good work to Ray and Danny on researching this. It's a shame that it requires such attention to detail to get something to eat that won't kill you! Especially since everything on this planet is basically asking to be eaten until we tinker with it.

The other ironic part is that Tillamook produces like 5 or 6 different varieties of cheeses (swiss, cheddar, etc.) and offers several products of each variety (loafs, slices, shredded, etc.) and it's just this one, individual cheese product that Danny and Ray recommended. Again, counter-intuitive to what I would normally conclude, I would presume: "Well if they make one good product, the rest must be good, too." Not so in this case. Quality of one product doesn't necessarily translate across all products produced by one producer. Which can be hard to accept, but can be true--and it makes sense if you think about it more carefully instead of generalizing--but I think it's just easier for us to presume heavily in order to cut time in processing all the small but innumerable in quantity of decisions which we are presented with on a daily basis like, "Which cheese should I buy? Well, Kerry Gold's butter is good and some of the best though more expensive. I bet their cheeses are provide equal return for the added investment, if not more." Not so in this case.

Just a reminder: Cannot stress enough the importance of doing some research, testing, patience and diligence to find the foods that are safe and work well for you. This wisdom in these communities will go a long way in cutting down that time, but it won't always be perfectly suited to your unique situation. I also think it is insanely important to recognize that in today's modern world, price does not always equate to quality and sometimes the exact opposite turns out to be true. For example, that Tillamook cheese is much less expensive and more generous in size relative to the Kerry Gold product, but it is much less allergenic than the more expensive and smaller Kerry Gold cheese. Counter-intuitive!

Happy eating.

Thank you.

Last edited:

somuch4food

I'm with you on this. I use third party information to attempt to make better choices, but the final test before adopting a product is my body's reaction to its ingestion.

Bad reaction: Feeling heavy/shivering
Good reaction: Feeling calm/warming up

My recent discoveries that heated up my body are roasted turnips with ginger and honey and roasted fennel with honey.

lvysaur

Well, success comes from making a good product, but also from having a recognized brand name. At first, you need to churn out quality to build a good name. After the name gets big, you can afford to churn out duds and still make money.

This is likely the case with Kerrygold, especially their cheeses. Kerrygold butter quality has declined over the last 5 years, and I've never cared for their cheeses. The butter is still not bad, just not the best. Specifically, the moisture content is higher and the fat is softer.

Highly aged cheeses are all trash. There might be some benefit in eating the K2 cheeses even if they taste bad, simply because they contain K2. But I have never particularly liked any highly aged cheeses. Lightly aged swiss and cheddar are pretty good, and fresh ones like mozz/paneer/ricotta are fine. If it tastes aged, I can't actually eat it without gagging a bit.

The best cheese I have ever had in my life came from Austria, and it was very semi-firm, and fresh tasting, but with a hint of agedness. My grocery stopped carrying because it "went bad very quickly".

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals