Does cottage cheese (quark) always have the safe rennet?

mt_dreams

Dutchie said:
Lately I had been enjoying Vanilla yoghurt but at nigth during my sleep I sometimes feel this nagging pain in my legs/knees. Today out of nowhere the word Lactic Acid suddenly came to my mind. I do weigthlifting (although I don't feel I'm really doing any heavy s*** *sigh* as it's also obvious concerning bodyrecomposition.),could it be that the lactic acid is hindering the healing/growing of my muscles?
If so....today at the supermarket I saw they sell Fage 0% Greek yoghurt,would that be better?(although it's expensive...I'd like to try to make frozen yoghurt with it too.) And what about,I think it's called soft-curd cheese?, over here it's called quark?
Also you mentioned when draining yoghurt,the lactic acid leaves with the whey.....does whey contain lactic acid and when draining yoghurt do the probiotic bacteria also get drained out?

Everybody is different when it comes to producing it's own lactic acid. So if someone already makes a lot of lactic acid in their body, ingesting more lactic acid could eventually cause problems. There are many ways to repair muscles after exercising... lactic acid that the body makes is one way your body tries to help out. Make sure to eat plenty of sugar & protein on exercise days is about all i can say on exercise. yogurt will not be as muscle replenishing as milk due to the fact that the lactose has been converted to lactic acid, so possibly eat it on non-exercise days ... though in true peat spirit, don't exercise, and drink milk or eat fresh cheese instead of the yogurt, as most of the probiotics wont end up reaching the intestines anyway ;)

Regarding the greek yogurt, the 0% is the fat content. If you are trying to limit your milkfat intake, then a 0% yogurt would be better than a full fat option. If you are trying to save money, and regular yogurt is a lot cheaper, you could always drain it yourself (though the loss in volume may equal out the extra costs of the greek yogurt which has already been drained).

soft curd cheese & quark are fresh cheeses. fresh cheese has had most of the whey & lactose removed during the process. fresh cheese is pretty much fat (depending on how much was in the milk you started with), and casein protein.

Some of the bacteria is definitely lost in the liquid, though i can't tell you what the % is. A shot in the dark on this would have me believe that a lot of it would be lost in the whey liquid which also contains the lactose/lactic acid

Whey liquid that comes from the cheese making side of things will contain lactic acid. The more sour the whey, the more lactic acid it will contain. If you see someone selling 'sweet whey', this is whey with a lower level of lactic acid in it. keeping whey at room temp will increase it's lactic content, which is why sweet whey will turn sour after a day at room temp.

Suikerbuik

To add a few things to mt_dreams post above.

I'd not be scared of bacteria in yoghurt. These are gram-positive and don't have lipoolysaccharide (endotoxin). These bacteria will however modulate the immune system but not that's not so much of a problem.

Interesting question how many % bacteria will be in yogurt. I think most bacteria will still be in the yogurt since bacteria need protein too and make adhere to cassein molecules (seen some pictures). The lactose will get into the bacteria no matter what or lactase will end up in the yogurt (then glucose and galactose will enter). This will also be the case with amino acids but since lactose is a far smaller molecule and bacteria make lactose permease (see lac operon). Bacteria will preferentially adhere to surfaces, aggregated casein molecules, and thus be in the yogurt in my opinion.

If you are getting pain in your knees it could be allergic response, antibodies that form complexes that precipitate. D-Lactid acid can be a problem but should also affect your mind or increase fatigue (mitochondrial problems). L-lactid acid is fastly metabolized in the liver but D-lactid is not and will cause problems, just not sure if that will be the problems you mentioned. And to what extent yogurt contains D-lactic acid to L-lactic acid depends of the bacterial cultures used.

What comes to mind is biogenic amines, these are by products of microbial fermentation and can cause many troubles - histamine is one for example, serotonin is another one but I am not sure if this is one is present in yogurt.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I seem to be having a histamine reaction from Greek yogurt lately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals