What did Ray Peat meant about the horrible enzymes in cheese

BearWithMe

Fortunate enough to never come across veg rennet cheeses in Europe. Very rarely. I'd eat more cheese if not for low fat
Where in Europe do you live? In Germany / Austria / Poland / Czech Republic / Slovakia, the opposite is true. One rarely come across cheeses that are not made with microbial rennet.

It is by far the cheapest way to make a cheese. I would be surprised if it was not used in majority of cheeses worldwide.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I have bad reactions to enzymes which I shared with Dr. peat who helped me identify the culprit. I only buy cheese made with traditional rennet.

so called vegetarian rennet or enzymes or microbial rennet is made by fermentation from fungus and contains toxins. Bad stuff.
What cheese brands do you buy?

What cheese brands do you buy?

anything with animal rennet, primarily artisanl or imported. Boars Head makes one cheddar, white Canadian cheddar, that qualifies. Otherwise it's small artisanal or imported brands. Parmegiano Reggiano is always an option.

Aymen

Where in Europe do you live? In Germany / Austria / Poland / Czech Republic / Slovakia, the opposite is true. One rarely come across cheeses that are not made with microbial rennet.

It is by far the cheapest way to make a cheese. I would be surprised if it was not used in majority of cheeses worldwide.
Most of famous netherlands cheeses are also made from microbial rennet.