Vegetable Enzyme cheese dont seem to bother like GMO microbial and “vegetarian” enzymes.

RealNeat

Just a quick little PSA as I know how hard it is to find real rennet cheese.

I have a very noticeable discomfort in my lower left abdomen (stomach?) from any cheese that is made with vegetarian or microbial enzymes.

However I read about vegetable enzymes which can be from natural fruits and vegetables traditionally used for cheese making. Think Figs for example Making Cheese with The Romans - Columella's Cheese

So I tried the only vegetable enzyme cheese i could get at my local grocery store and there was no discomfort!

Its not as easy to find as the others, its likely as rare as rennet, however if you have both at your grocery then you have two options now!

Some softer cheeses like muenster even if made by fake rennet don’t disturb me as much, I dont know why.

I suspect that I’m also not so tolerant of the orange color used in cheese, Annatto.

I have a very noticeable discomfort in my lower left abdomen (stomach?) from any cheese that is made with vegetarian or microbial enzymes.

However I read about vegetable enzymes which can be from natural fruits and vegetables traditionally used for cheese making. Think Figs for example Making Cheese with The Romans - Columella's Cheese

So I tried the only vegetable enzyme cheese i could get at my local grocery store and there was no discomfort!

Its not as easy to find as the others, its likely as rare as rennet, however if you have both at your grocery then you have two options now!

Some softer cheeses like muenster even if made by fake rennet don’t disturb me as much, I dont know why.

I suspect that I’m also not so tolerant of the orange color used in cheese, Annatto.

Well this is good to know! I don’t feel anything with cheeses, but it doesn’t mess the unknown bacterial strains aren’t cultivating something inside. I am start leaning into the vegetable rennets.

“Cheesemakers use rennet very early in the process to coagulate the milk and separate the curds from the whey. The rennet enzymes in cheese include a protease enzyme called chymosin that is particularly effective at causing the casein protein in milk to cling together and form a network of casein molecules, essentially turning liquid milk into solid curds. The casein network also traps fats and minerals in the milk that will be needed to create the cheese.

Animal rennet has been the predominant type of rennet used in cheesemaking for centuries and is still commonly used today. But because this type of rennet is costly and frequently not available at times, cheesemakers have also turned to vegetable rennet. Derived from plants like thistle, nettle, artichokes, figs, and dried caper leaves, vegetable rennet has the same coagulating property as animal rennet. It also has the added benefit of being acceptable to vegetarians, enabling cheesemakers to make true vegetarian cheese.

Additional forms of rennet include microbial rennet, which is made from yeast, fungi, and mold and is also considered vegetarian. And genetically modified rennet is made in a lab by inserting the DNA of ruminant animals into yeast which then takes on the same coagulating ability.“

Dr. B

how is this labelled on the ingredients? I thought most of these companies use "vegetable enzymes" interchangeably with vegetarian enzymes. I think youd have to contact the manufacturer to really know what theyre using for the enzymes. It can be really hard to get that information.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

how is this labelled on the ingredients? I thought most of these companies use "vegetable enzymes" interchangeably with vegetarian enzymes. I think youd have to contact the manufacturer to really know what theyre using for the enzymes. It can be really hard to get that information.
I can tell by the way I feel.
Where have you seen that they use that term interchangeably? I almost never see vegetable enzymes rather I see "vegetarian enzymes", "enzymes", "microbial enzymes", "microbial rennet", "vegetarian rennet."

I think vegetable enzymes are different from the rest, they are not GMO. From every cheese making/ producing website I have seen them differentiate between the various enzymes especially vegetable vs the GMO ones.

If you have a reputable source that says otherwise I'd be interested. I'm very sensitive to them usually.

Dr. B

I can tell by the way I feel.
Where have you seen that they use that term interchangeably? I almost never see vegetable enzymes rather I see "vegetarian enzymes", "enzymes", "microbial enzymes", "microbial rennet", "vegetarian rennet."

I think vegetable enzymes are different from the rest, they are not GMO. From every cheese making/ producing website I have seen them differentiate between the various enzymes especially vegetable vs the GMO ones.

If you have a reputable source that says otherwise I'd be interested. I'm very sensitive to them usually.
I cant remember.
The cheese that you tolerate, it says “vegetable enzymes”? In the ingredients?

The vegetarian or microbial enzymes arent just a gmo issue theyre sourced from aspergillus niger or something which is inflammatory. Theres some Peat quote where he said theyre more inflammatory than the industrial citric acid.

I think i have seen vegetable rennet listed before

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I cant remember.
The cheese that you tolerate, it says “vegetable enzymes”? In the ingredients?

The vegetarian or microbial enzymes arent just a gmo issue theyre sourced from aspergillus niger or something which is inflammatory. Theres some Peat quote where he said theyre more inflammatory than the industrial citric acid.

I think i have seen vegetable rennet listed before
Yes it says vegetable enzymes. I'm aware of the source, I listed it in the OP. The whole point is that according to many cheese makers vegetable enzymes are not sourced as such. I'm willing to be wrong, but so far no gut pain.

I'll give a few emails and calls to the cheese I eat and see if they can confirm.

Dr. B

Yes it says vegetable enzymes. I'm aware of the source, I listed it in the OP. The whole point is that according to many cheese makers vegetable enzymes are not sourced as such. I'm willing to be wrong, but so far no gut pain.

I'll give a few emails and calls to the cheese I eat and see if they can confirm.

so do you not have issue with yogurts, and cream cheeses, cottage cheese and ricotta cheese and some mascarpone cheeses? those 4 cheeses seem to not contain any enzymes. cottage is usually just salt, the others use vinegar usually, sometimes citric acid. and cream cheese i think since its mostly fat, its made differently from other cheeses, i usually dont see enzymes listed in cream cheese.

in your experience how dangerous are the microbial enzyme cheeses/vegetarian enzyme cheeses compared to citric acid, compared to eggs and compared to bread products?
it seems like these enzyme cheeses are very inflammatory or allergenic. I get serious effects from eating a few slices of dominos or other pizza. indigestion, bloating, facial swelling, fatigue, joint pain, facial puffiness. Im not totally sure if its due to the bread, the cheese, or both, since i normally dont have much bread. but i am starting to think it is the enzyme based cheese, not so much the bread. i think the bread at worst will cause stomach bloating but it seems like the cheese causes the facial puffiness effects and indigestion. i can handle cheeseburgers much better than pizza but the thing is they have much less bread as well as much less cheese than whats on a pizza.

these enzyme based cheeses seem harder for the body to handle than even a few grams of PUFA.

I also know several people in poor health who can handle canola oil and starches like breads and pasta but have severe reactions to dairy. they havent tried the high quality A2 organic milk though.

Back
Top Bottom